John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I've never bought this theory about Beane calling any shots on the Bills 2017 draft.   I just don't think the Pegulas would risk tampering claims, or whatever the charge would have been.  And if you believe the way the Beane hire was reported, when the Bills DID approach Beane, McD was part of a sales pitch that suggests that Beane didn't have moving to Buffalo as his priority.   McD had to convince him to take a shot.  So, if he was on the fence AFTER the draft, he certainly wouldn't have been feeding draft information to the Bills before the draft.  

But, the timing of it all IS intriguing, so if when the history is written ten years from now it comes out that Beane was in on the 2017 draft, well, that will be very interesting. 

And that, my friend, describes the ideal way for those changes to have come to pass - the three of them talking about what they can do and the three of coming up with this.  If that happened, and if it continues to happen, that's simply ideal. 

I don't think it will ever come out. But I am 100% convinced that is how it happened. The Bills spin machine selling me a different narrative to protect the franchise against the league does little to convince me otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It wasn't Whaley's call. It was Beane's. Brandon Beane's hand was on the tiller from Carolina. Carolina - a place where they had a franchise Quarterback in place and were not in the market for another. Hence very likely the Assistant GM had put little to no time into getting under the skin of Mahomes and Watson. Therefore his advice to McDermott was "wait until I am there.... next year is a good class we will get our guy then." 

I can't prove it. Likely will never be able to because the Bills covered their tracks. But what we do know is that Tre White, Dion Dawkins and Zay Jones had all been into the Panthers on visits. Tre is the only first rounder under this regime that the Bills didn't have in. I am utterly convinced Brandon Beane ran that draft from Carolina. That's why the other guy the Bills interviewed was Brian Gaine a guy they eneded up hiring in a senior post. That interview was a sham. It was a guy Beane had already tapped up for a key role doing the Bills a solid. 

The 2017 draft will never have Brandon Beane's name next to it. But it does have his fingerprints all over it.

He wasn't going to risk his shot at being an NFL GM on QBs he had not evaluated. 

This all makes sense.  But if it is true why would the Panthers and Bills still be "friendly?"  Beane arguably helped the Bills draft at the expense of his (then) current employer.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

This all makes sense.  But if it is true why would the Panthers and Bills still be "friendly?"  Beane arguably helped the Bills draft at the expense of his (then) current employer.

The GM who was potentially slighted is no longer in situ. He is in New York. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Not sure how much he knew. And I think he has a personal loyalty to McDermott.

What you're suggesting is basically the equivalent of insider trading or corporate espionage.  I just don't think it would be swept under the rug.

1 minute ago, eball said:

What you're suggesting is basically the equivalent of insider trading or corporate espionage.  I just don't think it would be swept under the rug.

And nobody will ever be able to prove it. The Bills aren't stupid. McDermott and Beane aren't stupid. 

To me the pieces all fit. Now I repeat again I can't prove it and will never be able to. Doesn't shake my belief on iota based on the things that we do know. I believe that is how it played out. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

And nobody will ever be able to prove it. The Bills aren't stupid. McDermott and Beane aren't stupid. 

To me the pieces all fit. Now I repeat again I can't prove it and will never be able to. Doesn't shake my belief on iota based on the things that we do know. I believe that is how it played out. 

My first comment was that it makes sense.  I just believe that would be a huge deal and I can't imagine Rivera and the Panthers being "ok" with it.  They're not dumb either.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

My first comment was that it makes sense.  I just believe that would be a huge deal and I can't imagine Rivera and the Panthers being "ok" with it.  They're not dumb either.

I tend to agree.  But perhaps it's the kind of thing that happens all the time in the league and teams aren't going to make a big deal about it because they may be the one doing it next time.  Of course there is also the fact that that sort of collusion would probably violate the Rooney Rule, as well...

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I tend to agree.  But perhaps it's the kind of thing that happens all the time in the league and teams aren't going to make a big deal about it because they may be the one doing it next time.  Of course there is also the fact that that sort of collusion would probably violate the Rooney Rule, as well...

NFL is a tight knit club.

Ron has always been one to mentor and remain loyal to his people, it seems.

To what degree?

maybe he just turned a blind eye consciously ?

or perhaps it was more nod and wink.
NFL would never admit nor allow knowingly.
but i am sure these things are reasonable possibilities .

all said

it has been good for McBeanes.
If i was Panthers owner i would want to nurture both of our guys. Good for the League good for the Bills and good for the Game in general.

2 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

At least he hasn't PM'ed you and @Gugny yet to meet up with him at some club called "The White Swallow". I simply refuse and wish not to take no parts in his sport drinking activities.

refuse and "wish not" are separate in concept literally at least.

did you have a bad time ?

there was a club in NYC late 60s called blue oyster. have you any memories of those days ?

On 6/24/2019 at 10:46 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know Sammy is a sore subject here but KC paid him a lot of money to be a 3 td option. Think about that.  We just bargain basement shop for receivers.  

I did think about it.  Yes it was really, really dumb to pay him that much. That is what you are pointing out?

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I did think about it.  Yes it was really, really dumb to pay him that much. That is what you are pointing out?

Successful offenses have 3rd options that can get open. Sammy has a great AFC championship game you think if they end up winning that game and the super bowl they care how much he was paid?

theyre smart because they know they can afford that contract while Mahomes is on his rookie deal. 

We would be lucky to have Sammy on that deal right now 

Edited by Chemical
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, eball said:

People in the Carolina organization were the first to point out that the Bills appeared to have been using their draft board.     It's not like that wasn't discussed here.    You were probably in those threads then too but don't remember because you tend to create a lot of thoughtless takes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

People in the Carolina organization were the first to point out that the Bills appeared to have been using their draft board.     It's not like that wasn't discussed here.    You were probably in those threads then too but don't remember because you tend to create a lot of thoughtless takes.

That's very productive.  Of course it was discussed.  I was responding to a specific Gunner post in this thread.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It wasn't Whaley's call. It was Beane's. Brandon Beane's hand was on the tiller from Carolina. Carolina - a place where they had a franchise Quarterback in place and were not in the market for another. Hence very likely the Assistant GM had put little to no time into getting under the skin of Mahomes and Watson. Therefore his advice to McDermott was "wait until I am there.... next year is a good class we will get our guy then." 

I can't prove it. Likely will never be able to because the Bills covered their tracks. But what we do know is that Tre White, Dion Dawkins and Zay Jones had all been into the Panthers on visits. Tre is the only first rounder under this regime that the Bills didn't have in. I am utterly convinced Brandon Beane ran that draft from Carolina. That's why the other guy the Bills interviewed was Brian Gaine a guy they eneded up hiring in a senior post. That interview was a sham. It was a guy Beane had already tapped up for a key role doing the Bills a solid. 

The 2017 draft will never have Brandon Beane's name next to it. But it does have his fingerprints all over it.

He wasn't going to risk his shot at being an NFL GM on QBs he had not evaluated. 

I'm pretty sure this would be against the rules and we all know that the Patriots are the only ones who break the rules. Pshhh.

I am getting a kick out of all the conspiracy theories and rewriting's of history and facts.   

Sammy Watkins has massively underperformed expectations and his contract.  That is an indisputable position.   The Rams traded for him and decided after one season that they would just rather lose their 2nd round pick, let Sammy play elsewhere and pay the money to Cooks.   That is a fact.  Which it would be nearly impossible to reasonably argue that the Rams didnt make the right decision.  Right?  Or do one of you want to have a go at telling me that the Rams made the wrong decision?  That is now two teams that have decided to not to continue to pursue Watkins after observing him from up close.  Another fact.  Then he goes to the Chiefs and misses over a third of the season due to injuries and puts up pedestrian numbers with 40 receptions, 3 TD's, barely over 500 yards and an uninspiring 13 yards per reception.  Even if he had played all season at the rate that he was playing, he still would have had about around 750 yards and less than 60 receptions and around 5 TD's.

You guys want to know what Brandin Cooks did this past year with the Rams?  80 receptions and over 1200 yards.  That is double Sammy's production from the previous year.  Same offense,  same position the only difference is the player.

He's played with arguably 2 of the top 5 QB's this past 2 years and he still doesn't have a combined 1000 yards receiving.

What's the excuse?  Seriously, I would love to hear yet the umpteenth million excuse for Sammy's shortcomings.   Let's hear it.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

2fe138b98c283623fcd2b6f3094c3735.jpg

50 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

2fe138b98c283623fcd2b6f3094c3735.jpg

I accept it is a conspiracy theory and I accept it is unproveable. I am not usually prone to conspiracy theory rhetoric but the visits and the Gaine situation do both seem awfully suspicious. If it was simply coincidence it was a lot of very convenient coincidences. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Magox said:

I am getting a kick out of all the conspiracy theories and rewriting's of history and facts.   

Sammy Watkins has massively underperformed expectations and his contract.  That is an indisputable position.   The Rams traded for him and decided after one season that they would just rather lose their 2nd round pick, let Sammy play elsewhere and pay the money to Cooks.   That is a fact.  Which it would be nearly impossible to reasonably argue that the Rams didnt make the right decision.  Right?  Or do one of you want to have a go at telling me that the Rams made the wrong decision?  That is now two teams that have decided to not to continue to pursue Watkins after observing him from up close.  Another fact.  Then he goes to the Chiefs and misses over a third of the season due to injuries and puts up pedestrian numbers with 40 receptions, 3 TD's, barely over 500 yards and an uninspiring 13 yards per reception.  Even if he had played all season at the rate that he was playing, he still would have had about around 750 yards and less than 60 receptions and around 5 TD's.

You guys want to know what Brandin Cooks did this past year with the Rams?  80 receptions and over 1200 yards.  That is double Sammy's production from the previous year.  Same offense,  same position the only difference is the player.

He's played with arguably 2 of the top 5 QB's this past 2 years and he still doesn't have a combined 1000 yards receiving.

What's the excuse?  Seriously, I would love to hear yet the umpteenth million excuse for Sammy's shortcomings.   Let's hear it.

this post deserves a hug.  maybe even a fondle.