John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ohhh ok.

So because they sucked even more in that time span ranting now about a similarly pathetic run isn't allowed. 

Thanks for clearing things up. 

What is it about being in the playoffs in their first season that is so difficult for you to grasp?

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ohhh ok.

So because they sucked even more in that time span ranting now about a similarly pathetic run isn't allowed. 

Thanks for clearing things up. 

Who said it wasn’t allowed? You are free to rant and rave all you want so have at it. Just letting you know it could be much worse. 

Now it’s cleared up. 

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Im talking about a 19 year span. They made the playoffs one year which is going on 20 years in which they were bounced from the first round. 

For most people who follow the NFL, that's not a very good run.... 

You are free to carry on any way you like. That’s totally fine. I am also free to once again state that I think the whole “19 year” thing is lazy and tired. I get that that’s how long your frustration has run. I refuse to blame our current owners for anything that Ralph may or may not have done a decade or two ago. It seems petty and childish to me to count anything that happened before the Pegulas. They messed up with Rex, BADLY. They cut bait.

I like our current direction. You don’t have to, but I and many others do. It’s not been perfect (and it never will be), and I have some reservations, but I can’t wait to see this season play out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Given the fall off seen in Dareus' play, why do you think it was a bad decision?  Got rid of a guy with issues, cleared cap space.

Also, what do you see as good decisions made by the current regime?

Fall off (you are being too kind), he has been a bust since signing his 2nd contract.  Let's add that his 2 best years and 1 1/2 worse years have been under the same HC.

If Ed Oliver puts up the same stats that Dareus's has for the last 4 years he would deservedly be called a bust.

For those who want to see his horrid play.................

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DareMa00.htm

So again, why are people crying for Dareus?

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So basically, box score scouting and raw stats tell the whole story here?  So when late July/early August opens up...I'm assuming Star isn't going to be running with the first team?

As I've said many times regarding Star.....the eyeball test says he was sluggish, didn't impact OL on contact and was too slow to disengage to be able to make plays..............the woeful numbers only confirm the eyeball test.

As for the other question.........when Kelvin Benjamin was running with the first team until the week that he was cut was that proof that they liked or were satisfied with what he was doing on the field?    I don't think so.........I think we all know that the situation was complicated by the fact that they swung a trade to get a player they were familiar with and were paying him $8M.    

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Fall off (you are being too kind), he has been a bust since signing his 2nd contract.  Let's add that his 2 best years and 1 1/2 worse years have been under the same HC.

If Ed Oliver puts up the same stats that Dareus's has for the last 4 years he would deservedly be called a bust.

For those who want to see his horrid play.................

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DareMa00.htm

So again, why are people crying for Dareus?

Because they see it as something they feel they can complain about. He had 10 sacks in 2014. He got paid. He has 10.5 ever since. Is that what I read? Hmmmmm

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

He is if Dareus decided to make him his b**ch.

Dareus has lost his aggression since he hustled the Bills for the grand contract. So if Marrone doesn't want to be a b***tch or a butch Dareus doesn't have the muscle to make him into one of his playmates. :ph34r: 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Dareus has lost his aggression since he hustled the Bills for the grand contract. So if Marrone doesn't want to be a b***tch or a butch Dareus doesn't have the muscle to make him into one of his playmates. :ph34r: 

There is no aggression involved. Marrone and Dareus are so happy to be back in the loving embrace of each other’s arms, they spoon to Peaches and Herb of their own free will. 

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Im talking about a 19 year span. They made the playoffs one year which is going on 20 years in which they were bounced from the first round. 

What does the current regime have to do with the previous 17 years?

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I doubt it's going  happen because Marrone is not the cuddly type of guy. :ph34r:

i still imagined a big fat cuddle puddle with Oscar Meyer Bologna sambwiches.Layered with Kraft single american cheese on TV trays nearby

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

What does the current regime have to do with the previous 17 years?

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

A more curious question ... why is the criticism limited to the post-Kelly years?

The Buffalo Bills have sucked in the vast majority of seasons they've been in the NFL.

They've had 18 winning seasons.  That's 38%.  And in four of those winning seasons, they didn't make the playoffs.

Now I'M MAD!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well yes he was brought in to play the 1 tech like Dareus...........which is a position that involves some stacking of blockers but also allows for more freedom to make plays than nose tackle.

But let's say Star was just signed to be a LOS bound nose tackle.............well the highest paid one of those is Damon Harrison who signed a 5 year $47M deal with the Giants with $24M guaranteed........... slightly less than Star's ABSURD contract and almost certainly the comp that Star's agent and the Bills used to come up with that number.

But Harrison and Lotulelei aren't on the same planet as players............Harrison is good for 75-80 tackles and 10+ backfield plays per year...........Star was only about 1/3 as productive in the previous years in Carolina when he signed that contract.......that's why it was panned by most observers at the time as the worst or one of the worst deals signed.

But last year he put up just 17 tackles and 1 TFL.:lol:     That's woeful and for Damon Harrison+  money at that spot.  

See Harrison Phillips stats and compare.........35 tackles and 6 backfield plays in 8% less snaps than Star.    What's Phillips worth?  $20M per?    That role/position traditionally does not pay well and yet McBeane paid Lotulelei like the best in the league.   

Face it......Star was a turd last year..........he hasn't even been good for a while.........basically since after his rookie year when he was a touted first round pick who was supposed to be a dominant player for years to come(sound familiar?).    That hasn't happened but it didn't stop McBeane from doubling down on their cap mess at DT1T.

What you "don't seem to understand" is how out of whack that contract is.    It's horrible.

Whether you look at numbers or tape Harrison Phillips outplayed Star. 

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

I agree, but I also believe McDermott knew he didn't want Dareus before he was even hired.

I believe this also. I also understand it. I had no issue with the Dareus trade even though it left us with the worst DT in the whole NFL (and one of the worst I have ever watched) playing significant snaps from thereon in. They couldn't build what they wanted to build while pandering to Dareus. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Because they see it as something they feel they can complain about. He had 10 sacks in 2014. He got paid. He has 10.5 ever since. Is that what I read? Hmmmmm

Actually you counted 2 sacks twice (2017).  It's only 8.5 in the last 4 years.

Dareus was forced into a restructured contract where this is his last year on JAX.

He's got a 5.5 million cap hit with a 2.5 million dead cap hit next year when they DO NOT pick up a 22 million club option.

Just more proof as to his current production.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/marcell-dareus-7718/

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I believe this also. I also understand it. I had no issue with the Dareus trade even though it left us with the worst DT in the whole NFL (and one of the worst I have ever watched) playing significant snaps from thereon in. They couldn't build what they wanted to build while pandering to Dareus. 

As I suggested to Gugny earlier, if McDermott wanted Dareus gone as early as when he was hired, why did he wait 10 months and suffer Dareus’s antics in the meantime. I’m convinced he thought he’d try turning Dareus around first, given his great talent...when he wanted to display it.

Put it this way.... the regime has already shown more patience with Star than they did with Dareus. That might be because while he is rubbish he is their rubbish. 

Just now, K-9 said:

As I suggested to Gugny earlier, if McDermott wanted Dareus gone as early as when he was hired, why did he wait 10 months and suffer Dareus’s antics in the meantime. I’m convinced he thought he’d try turning Dareus around first, given his great talent...when he wanted to display it.

I think they hope they could get through 2017 and then cut bait. They knew their alternative - Adolphus Washington - absolutely sucked and so I think they wanted to get to offseason where they would replace Darues more directly with Star. But I don't think he was ever, at any stage, part of McDermott's long term vision for the Bills. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1