John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There's a lot to that. Leads to perpetual mediocrity at best. 

There isn't anything to it, actually............all of the best teams of the 2000's rose to that level from a state of mediocrity.........in some cases several years of it.

The teams that bottomed out in the 2000's?  Hasn't worked out well.

The last team to be rewarded for that with a SB win were the 1998 Colts..........who got one.

The days of needing to bottom out to break the chain of mediocrity ended before the Bills even started their run of mediocre to bad teams.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

In his book GM, Ernie Accorsi says you can have a winning team with one prima donna, it's very hard with two and impossible with three.  McDermott wants none, and its hard to argue with that.  It makes no difference how talented Dareus is; he didn't have the attitude to play for McDermott's Bills.  

He didn't have the attitude and is one more suspension away from I think 10 games?  A man making nearly $100 million shouldn't be a hole clogger, he needs to be a disruption in both the pass and run.  Dareus was that prior to 2015 and now isn't any longer. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Go back and watch some of the Cover-1 stuff on Dareus from that time.    Tell me if Star can stack and shed like that.

Two weeks after Dareus was traded the defense went on the worst stretch of play in team history.

They were fortunate to limp to a 4-5 finish because of 3 wins against woeful Dolphins and Colts teams.........and the Colts and second Phins game were much too close considering Brissett and Fales were the opposing QB's.

And not only was Dareus good in Buffalo but he went to Jax in 2017 and they instantly went from the bottom of the league in run defense to near the top.

It was a very suspect decision to trade him and only exacerbated by replacing him with a ridiculous contract for Star.

But if they had traded Dareus in the preseason they surely miss the playoffs.........no question........so I guess that's a plus for McBeane.:thumbsup:

Pure hyperbole. 

Your research game needs work. You can start with the 2012 season, with Dareus starting and in the middle of it all, to find a stretch that's even worse. 

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He didn't have the attitude and is one more suspension away from I think 10 games?  A man making nearly $100 million shouldn't be a hole clogger, he needs to be a disruption in both the pass and run.  Dareus was that prior to 2015 and now isn't any longer. 

Even if I concede what you’re saying about Dareus, he’s still much better than Star.

Until you come up with any evidence other than “McDermott said so” it’s pretty clear. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/marcell-dareus/6155

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/star-lotulelei/7795

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Pure hyperbole. 

Your research game needs work. You can start with the 2012 season, with Dareus starting and in the middle of it all, to find a stretch that's even worse. 

Change the subject much? 

3 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Even if I concede what you’re saying about Dareus, he’s still much better than Star.

Until you come up with any evidence other than “McDermott said so” it’s pretty clear. 

Change the subject much? 

Subject wasn't changed. 

A claim was made that after we traded Dareus, the Bills defense went on its worse run in history. 

I merely corrected that inaccurate claim. 

Edited by K-9

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If someone has honestly tried to portray the Bills making the playoffs in 2017 as a bad thing they are an idiot. I remain skeptical that anyone has really done that.

Not sure why you’re skeptical when the information is right out there for you to see for yourself, but, that’s your choice.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Subject wasn't changed. 

A claim was made that after we traded Dareus, the Bills defense went on its worse run in history. 

I merely corrected that inaccurate claim. 

And now your hope is that we will argue which was the worst run in Bills history. Instead of staying on the topic of Dareus’ absence negatively affected the defense immediately. 

Sure maybe it was hyperbole. So what? The point is still taken, you’re ignoring it and changing the subject. 

Just now, Chemical said:

And now your hope is that we will argue which was the worst run in Bills history. Instead of staying on the topic of Dareus’ absence negatively affected the defense immediately. 

Sure maybe it was hyperbole. So what? The point is still taken, you’re ignoring it and changing the subject. 

LMAO! My hope? When's the next drama club meeting? 

Anyway, I haven't been involved in an argument suggesting Dareus's absence didn't negatively impact the defense when it obviously did. Like I said, I was merely correcting an inaccurate statement which was deliberately used to bolster the argument. There's a word for that, but it escapes me at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I don't understand your point about "McDermott said so".

What aren't you getting?  Dareus signed a contract worth twice as much as Stars....3 years before.  So yes, Dareus is the more talented player which is why he was drafted #3 overall but that's not the point.  The point is you give Dareus more money because he's supposed to do more as a two way player.  Star gets half the money because he's not a guy who gets after the QB in the passing game.  Problem is, Dareus isn't that player anymore so you're essentially paying him WELL MORE than his value.  

Oh I guess Pro Football Focus is the end all be all LOL....

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2016/5/9/11640274/nfl-players-rail-on-pro-football-focus-grading-system

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't understand your point about "McDermott said so".

What aren't you getting?  Dareus signed a contract worth twice as much as Stars....3 years before.  So yes, Dareus is the more talented player which is why he was drafted #3 overall but that's not the point.  The point is you give Dareus more money because he's supposed to do more as a two way player.  Star gets half the money because he's not a guy who gets after the QB in the passing game.  Problem is, Dareus isn't that player anymore so you're essentially paying him WELL MORE than his value.  

Oh I guess Pro Football Focus is the end all be all LOL....

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2016/5/9/11640274/nfl-players-rail-on-pro-football-focus-grading-system

McDermott said so=

You previously said that McDermott said Star is doing his job. That’s the only attempt I’ve seen to defend his lack of stats/playing time for the highest paid player on the team. 

47 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Not sure why you’re skeptical when the information is right out there for you to see for yourself, but, that’s your choice.

I have looked I can't find a single person who has said the Bills making the playoffs was a bad thing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chemical said:

McDermott said so=

You previously said that McDermott said Star is doing his job. That’s the only attempt I’ve seen to defend his lack of stats/playing time for the highest paid player on the team. 

Per the bold, what should his stats be as a 1-tech playing 47% of the snaps in McDermott's scheme?

18 minutes ago, Chemical said:

McDermott said so=

I don't think I wrote anything about what McDermott said.  I am using his playing time, which was second most among our DT's, as indication that he isn't as bad as Baldo or you think he did.  Star was on of our first, if not the first, FA signing we had last year.  We obviously were targeting him and our FO feels he's worth the money they gave him.

He's still running with the first unit now and is our starter opposite Oliver.  It'll be a heavy rotation and Star will be a regular. 

I'm not an expert interior lineman (DT) grader except the obvious stuff like blowing up a play.  So I'm not arguing X's and O's.

My argument is he's on the field and the guy who knows what he wants out of his defense....keeps him on the field.  It doesn't look like that's changing.

But if it does, then I will concede my point. 

Edited by Royale with Cheese

51 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Pure hyperbole. 

That 3 game stretch was statistically the worst stretch of performances in Bills history............they couldn't stop anything.

And the reaction by McDermott after the first two of those games?    Bench Tyrod.:lol:   Like that's going to stop teams from moving the ball at will on your run defense.    

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That 3 game stretch was statistically the worst stretch of performances in Bills history............they couldn't stop anything.

And the reaction by McDermott after the first two of those games?    Bench Tyrod.:lol:   Like that's going to stop teams from moving the ball at will on your run defense.    

That was a horrible stretch by the run D.  But let's not pretend Tyrod Taylor didn't deserve to be benched.  He certainly earned that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Worse than a three game stretch where they gave up 1,553 total yards and 740 rushing yards?

Show me. 

43 minutes ago, K-9 said:

LMAO! My hope? When's the next drama club meeting? 

Anyway, I haven't been involved in an argument suggesting Dareus's absence didn't negatively impact the defense when it obviously did. Like I said, I was merely correcting an inaccurate statement which was deliberately used to bolster the argument. There's a word for that, but it escapes me at the moment. 

And now you get to back that up. I didn't feel like looking it up because it doesn't alter the point, but Badol seems to think he's still correct. Congrats on changing the subject though!

Not sure how my use of the word "hope" implies I may be interested in acting.

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold, what should his stats be as a 1-tech playing 47% of the snaps in McDermott's scheme?

Well start with Harrison Phillips' stats.

The rookie had 35 tackles and made 6 plays in the backfield(TFL + QB hits) playing in 38% of Bills snaps.

Star had 17 tackles and 1 backfield play(a TFL vs. TN) in 47% of Bills snaps.

Better yet.........stay away from stats.........you are making one mistake after another on them in this thread.

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

And now you get to back that up. I didn't feel like looking it up because it doesn't alter the point, but Badol seems to think he's still correct. Congrats on changing the subject though!

Not sure how my use of the word "hope" implies I may be interested in acting.

Is it just laziness on your behalf? Or is this a drama club challenge?

Show me a three game stretch where the Bills defense gave up more than 1,553 total yards, 740 of which were on the ground after they traded Dareus in 2017, and I'll thank you for the edification. 

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Worse than a three game stretch where they gave up 1,553 total yards and 740 rushing yards?

Show me. 

135 points allowed in 3 games ring a bell?

Grasp that..........that's 45 points per game.

Is your memory that short?

Worst stretch in Bills history and 4th worst by ANY team since the AFL/NFL merger.