John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

8 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Thinking people will fail is the easiest thing to do actually.  "DARE" to think is for people that I ight actually see something good.

Failure is for lazy people.

Negativity also favors the less courageous. It's cowardly, actually. Because if I make bold negative proclamations about how we will suck and they go 0-16, well, I'm a fricken genius. But if they go 16-0, then I can breathe a sigh of relief, enjoy the party, and act like I knew it all the time, too. There is no downside in negative proclamations. At least for those making them, that is. The rest of us will just have to suffer their presence. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Negativity also favors the less courageous. It's cowardly, actually. Because if I make bold negative proclamations about how we will suck and they go 0-16, well, I'm a fricken genius. But if they go 16-0, then I can breathe a sigh of relief, enjoy the party, and act like I knew it all the time, too. There is no downside in negative proclamations. At least for those making them, that is. The rest of us will just have to suffer their presence. 

...if we showed during the 17 year drought we could "NOT get it right", currently show (ALLEGEDLY according to some) not even an "ounce of coming close to getting it right" and going forward will "probably NEVER get it right", why do some of these self proclaimed masochistic posters continually self inflict pain?.....guess I missed the memo...SMH.......

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But Badol who you are accusing of spinning everything as a negative has said the same thing. 

No he really hasn't.  Not that I've seen.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm not assuming the worst.

Im hoping for the best.

I'm a little skeptical based on the state of the offense the past couple years coming from where it was before McBeane got here and their overall body of work when it comes to the offense to this point. Just two bad units to this point and I thought they needed to do more at the skill positions particularly WR and TE. They are basically putting a ton of faith in Allen to progress without giving him some really good options in my opinion. 

I wish your posts would show more if your hope and less of your pessimism.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Im hoping for the best.

I'm a little skeptical based on the state of the offense the past couple years coming from where it was before McBeane got here and their overall body of work when it comes to the offense to this point. Just two bad units to this point and I thought they needed to do more at the skill positions particularly WR and TE. They are basically putting a ton of faith in Allen to progress without giving him some really good options in my opinion. 

Other than Antoinio Brown which doesn't look like it was really an option, where were the really good options? I think Dawson Knox was drafted in the sweet spot for TE. There are supposed to be a lot of very good WRs at the top of next years draft, not so much the past draft. I think it's alright to be skeptical about evaluation on the offensive side of the ball up to this point -- Fat Benjamin, Jordan Matthews, and the fella with the shoe collection we wasted a seventh on don't inspire confidence -- but on the other side, I'm not writing Zay Jones off just yet and Foster was a pleasant surprise. Anyway, WR corp looks adequate to me, which is an improvement. The main effort to help Josh Allen was the oline, which I hope will be somewhat more than adequate. I expect serious investment next year in WR through draft and free agency. I think Josh has enough to progress, though obviously top end talent at WR would help a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if we showed during the 17 year drought we could "NOT get it right", currently show (ALLEGEDLY according to some) not even an "ounce of coming close to getting it right" and going forward will "probably NEVER get it right", why do some of these self proclaimed masochistic posters continually self inflict pain?.....guess I missed the memo...SMH.......

Misery love company?

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Im hoping for the best.

A little skeptical?! :lol:

And the universe is a little vast!

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

It's also your free will to root for teams which are not owned by the Pegulas (no apostrophe).   You're clearly unhappy being a "fan" of Buffalo-based teams.  You deserve to be happy.

So let me get this straight.............you don't bother to educate yourself about football............you don't live or work in WNY but you live close enough to attend all games but make little effort to do so.............you openly admit you care a lot more about the Mets than the Bills...........but you are questioning my fandom?   GTFOH.:lol:

You are a poser.   ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

If you go back through I believe he may be in the they lucked out camp.  SoTier is especially heinous about that.

Even if they are, and they did get a few lucky breaks that year but then there is a lower seeded playoff team every year that does... including the Giants the year they stopped 19-0, I don't think that is a negative spin. They got in. They made it. They ended the freaking drought. But the point is to be a contender and as you yourself have admitted that is the test of whether the process has worked.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

It was spun into as if it was mainly attributed to luck or that it was a fluke due to primarily the Bengals/Ravens game.   As if the 9 victories that the Bills did to get there was also a fluke.   No one in their right mind thought the Bills were going to achieve that, specially with some of the moves they made to slash talent/salary cap.    

It's a feat that is too conveniently ignored or dismissed by the detractors/skeptics.   It's an important and significant accomplishment that is a testimony to McD's ability to connect and coach up his players.  His game day play calling still needs work but far too often fans believe equate being a good coach with play calling, while that is a very important factor, what is equally if not more important is the preparation and practice that occurs before game day.  

I am a big McDermott guy you don't need to preach to me. I am not sure saying the Bills lucked in is a negative though. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Among others when a few pages back he talks about when you are new like Allen you have to learn to be a bust or words to that effect.

WTF are you talking about?:lol:

Assisted living dude...........it's time.:thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No he really hasn't.  Not that I've seen.

Well maybe Badol will clarify - but I am 100% sure he believes that if the process works and the Bills become a perennial contender to go deep into the post-season then Beane and McDermott will be 'heroes' and that if the process doesn't work they will be fired. 

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

Thinking people will fail is the easiest thing to do actually.  "DARE" to think is for people that I ight actually see something good.

Failure is for lazy people.

Oh has it been easy to think the Patriots were going to miss the playoffs for the past couple decades?    Or that the Yankees will have a losing season when they've had 25 straight winning seasons?   

I understand there are a lot of people out there with varying degrees of depression or other mental illness issues that need to avoid all negative thoughts..........they really shouldn't be here, I'm sure their therapist would tell them that........maybe focus on non-competitive interests like music or poetry or theatre

But then there are those of us who realize that this is just competitive entertainment and it's OK to be objective and rational about it.    And yes..........past history is a big part of the picture objectively.    The Bills have sucked for two decades...........the Pegula's ownership has been very ineffective on-field/on-ice............the burden of proof is on the teams not the fanbase.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well maybe Badol will clarify - but I am 100% sure he believes that if the process works and the Bills become a perennial contender to go deep into the post-season then Beane and McDermott will be 'heroes' and that if the process doesn't work they will be fired. 

Absolutely.

They haven't earned the goodwill on the field to assume they will succeed though.

Perhaps more than any other regime in recent memory CLEAR paths not taken have resulted in greater success by organizations that picked up what the Bills passed on or tossed away.

That's actually added a lot of fun to the mix..............gifting Patrick Mahomes to a traditional AFC rival is not the kind of thing that happens with every regime..............but neither is being all-in on a QB on draft day like Josh Allen.     There is a lot of intrigue with this group really.     Allen could guide them to great heights or this regime could prove to be the least competent in team history.   Everything is TBD.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

WTF are you talking about?:lol:

Assisted living dude...........it's time.:thumbsup:

The following are your exact words from earlier in this thread regarding Allen:

Everyone who has ever failed at something new had never done it before.

Your words, not mine.  And one could just as easily say everyone who has succeeded at something new has never done it before.

Your shtick is obvious and juvenile at this point.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Isn't that the system/standard for most organizations?  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Isn't that the system/standard for most organizations?  

For every team in every sport since time began. 

But it’s fun to think the Bills are the only team to be in that situation.

Just now, K-9 said:

For every team in every sport since time began. 

But it’s fun to think the Bills are the only team to be in that situation.

Some people blinded by their own brilliance believe that they are novel thinkers by creating the paradigm of success and failure. Inspector Clouseau and Forrest Gump could have come to the same conclusion in less than a New York minute. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Absolutely.  Why some assume failure is the question, equally so of ones who think they're no doubt SuperBowl winners.

I don’t think anyone here is “assuming failure.”  I’m optimistic that this is a 10-6 or better team this year.   Where I part company with a lot of folks here is that I believe another ugly 6-10 season will probably mean that McD gets the hook—or should.  I just don’t believe that in the modern NFL, a guy who takes over a .500 operation should get four years to start winning.  It concerns me how many people are lowering the bar for this season...

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, precisely. There is nobody who doesn't think that is the case. Where opinions differ is the likelihood of each option. 

The problem isn't stating an A and B option when there is only an A and B option. The problem is constantly stating a preferred option and acting as if the other option is held by naïve fools. 

Differing opinions are great. This place would be boring without them. I freely admit I lean to the optimistic/positive side (while also not loving everything I see). Others are free to lean to the more skeptical/negative side. I get that they want to see the baby. Fair enough. They can call that “objective” if they want, but I think both can be objective. 

BUT, if you bring up the 19 year stuff, you are intentionally trying to spin things to the negative. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, Ralph Wilson did decades ago is relevant to our current owners, staff or players. I get that that may be part of your frustration, but it’s not part of the current situation. Throw that stuff around and you lose credibility. 

• Like (+1) 1