John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Everyone who has ever failed at something new had never done it before.

This is, and has been from the beginning, my biggest concern with Josh. What you would think would be the easiest throws are not natural to him. I’m praying he breaks through that perceived barrier. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Everyone who has ever failed at something new had never done it before.

That doesn't mean anything.  

You're trying to suggest that Allen is bad at the short game.  That's not true. He hasn't played the short game.  That doesn't mean he can't. 

What Allen did last season was CHOOSE not to throw the short ball.  This season he will choose to take those throws. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is, and has been from the beginning, my biggest concern with Josh. What you would think would be the easiest throws are not natural to him. I’m praying he breaks through that perceived barrier. 

I agree with the concern. People often think if you're good at something difficult, you should find easy things simple and if you're not good at them, it just means you don't care enough to do what you could easily achieve if you just put your mind to it. I don't think that's necessarily true, but I still think odds are Josh figures it out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I mean sure, if you want to look at it in a vacuum and not take into account other factors, such as the teams ability to run the ball so well(Tyrods ability to do this and improvise)... you think that contributed to the low passing yardage? 

No.  Because I watched the games and saw a QB who couldn't read a defense, couldn't find an open receiver more than 5 feet away unless a defender fell down and couldn't pull the trigger on a pass ... which is why every Bills fan with a brain was yelling, "THROW THE FUC*ING BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 20 times/week.

He sucked.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That doesn't mean anything.  

You're trying to suggest that Allen is bad at the short game.  That's not true. He hasn't played the short game.  That doesn't mean he can't. 

What Allen did last season was CHOOSE not to throw the short ball.  This season he will choose to take those throws. 

:lol:

Again........read the post you initially responded to.......the lesson is "play to your strengths".

Tyrod Taylor succeeded at making himself something he hadn't shown he could be before......a low risk, short passer.........but in the process made himself a less valued player.

But even that was an exception.

Most young Bills QB's haven't even done that well with attempts to change the nature/style of their game.

Rojo, Losman, Edwards, Fitz, EJ......these guys were all tasked with significant offseason homework to change their games and none of those objectives were met.

I have no problem with them trying to to round out Allen's game.........but I don't want to see the QB with the biggest arm in NFL history throwing the ball behind the sticks on 3rd and 8 to prove how clever he and his OC are........swing away, Josh, swing away!:thumbsup:    

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Again........read the post you initially responded to.......the lesson is "play to your strengths".

Tyrod Taylor succeeded at making himself something he hadn't shown he could be before......a low risk, short passer.........but in the process made himself a less valued player.

But even that was an exception.

Most young Bills QB's haven't even done that well with attempts to change the nature/style of their game.

Rojo, Losman, Edwards, Fitz, EJ......these guys were all tasked with significant offseason homework to change their games and none of those objectives were met.

I have no problem with them trying to to round out Allen's game.........but I don't want to see the QB with the biggest arm in NFL history throwing the ball behind the sticks on 3rd and 8 to prove how clever he and his OC are........swing away, Josh, swing away!:thumbsup:    

Just because he has the giant arm does not mean I want him going big on every play. He needs to learn to be the the well rounded QB who can make all the plays. Yes, the QB and WR need know how to get past the sticks, but we need to be productive at every level. 

I’ll looking forward to this season more than any I can recall in recent history. 

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's not true.  What you said was "if that's not your game."  Your clear implication was Allen can't play the short passing game.  That's what you said. You said since he has a big arm he should throw deep balls.

That's not true  He didn't throw short, which is different from not being able to throw short.  

What everyone says in the  NFL is you take what your opponent gives you.  The opponent gave Allen the rookie the short ball and he didn't understand the game well enough to take it.  It is a learning issue, not a capability issue.   If you believe Allen can't learn to take what defense is giving, then that means you believe Allen is not the right guy.  Is that what you believe?  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's not true.  What you said was "if that's not your game."  Your clear implication was Allen can't play the short passing game.  That's what you said. You said since he has a big arm he should throw deep balls.

That's not true  He didn't throw short, which is different from not being able to throw short.  

What everyone says in the  NFL is you take what your opponent gives you.  The opponent gave Allen the rookie the short ball and he didn't understand the game well enough to take it.  It is a learning issue, not a capability issue.   If you believe Allen can't learn to take what defense is giving, then that means you believe Allen is not the right guy.  Is that what you believe?  

Regarding "if that's not your game"......ponder this:

If Harvard grad Ryan Fitzpatrick is such a smart person why hasn't he changed his game?

I would posit that the reason is because he ENJOYS playing the gunslinging style he plays and doesn't think he'd enjoy playing it any other way.

With his life prospects beyond the NFL........ he's not going to turn into "captain checkdown" for anyone.

And I'm not even saying it's entirely his choice...........the heart wants what it wants and in the split second environment of the pocket that part of his highly trained brain says the reward is worth the risk.   Ball pushed downfield into traffic.....dopamine released.:thumbsup:

I'd also suggest that Tyrod Taylor doesn't ENJOY checking the ball down............I think he plays the game fearfully because he is afraid of losing his job........to me that's been reflected in some of his answers to questions about playing the position.

So "your game" isn't necessarily the only style you CAN play but it may be the only style you SHOULD or WILL play.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

I’m now convinced, more than ever, that your sole purpose on this site is to see what sort of rise you can get out of people. 

This is it exactly, at least in this thread. 

Yea, 2016 Buffalo Bills offense was excellent...if you're living in the 60's...even then, the 1965 AFL Champ Buffalo Bills were 7th in passing yards, 8th in passing TDs.

30th in passing yards and 27th in TD passes in today's age of a passing league...stinks anyway you look at it... or any year you look at it.

As for KB, I was ecstatic when I read that the Bills had traded for him. Even when he was covered, he was open. I loved the kid when he was drafted and he had some good years at Carolina before injuries.  Nobody knew that his heart for football had withered and died. At least Vontae Davis had the balls to know and say he was done.

I go back and look at free agents like Levi Wallace, Robert Foster who were drafted as #1 picks when CBS sport did a 2018 re-draft. Then add those two to the two #1's in Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds. Beane did an amazing job.

Now think about all the people that wanted the Bills to draft Josh Rosen and even trade up with the NY Giants @ the #2 spot to draft him. They wanted the Bills to give up the 2018 farm and even some wanted to give the Giants a 1st round 2019 draft pick. Beane stood his ground and waited patiently to grab his guy at the #7 spot in beating out Arizona for him! 

Now fast forward to the 2019 draft and Beane got his man in Ed Oliver @#9 . Then managed to get another projected first round pick in the second round at #38. Cody Ford's tape is among the best and most fun of the 2019 offensive line class.

Some of you can nit-pick, or rag on this regime all you want. Yes, they have made some mistakes... and corrected them. The one thing I faulted them for was drafting a QB in the first round and putting him behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league. That was Whaley-esque. Beane corrected that this free agency and draft. I'm still not entirely happy with the LT, LG positions. although it remains to be seen if their play will improve with better players next to them.  

Should this team take a 2-14 nosedive into the ceramic convenience in 2019 for some inexplicable reason. I can see a change at HC and on the offensive side. I can't see these owners even thinking of replacing Beane. That won't happen though as I can see 9 wins minimum and possibly 10,11 or 12. A lot will depend on how well the Bills can stop the run! Jets, Le'Veon Bell, Giants, Saquon Barkley, Cincy, Joe Mixon, NE, Sony Michel, Tenn, Derrick Henry, Miami, Frank Gore...oh wait :P

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Feels like the end of training camp around here - we need to start hitting other teams...

We could really use an open letter or a "so f@#$ing done with this team!" thread.   Nothing brings everyone together quite like a public meltdown and the ensuing feeding frenzy.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

i’ve ..... decided 

.............. to try to ......... argue ......

badolbilz .............. styl...e

just for ..... kicks.

jw

Before you can master Badol style you must learn the 11 deadly pauses of Shatner Kwan Do.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Regarding "if that's not your game"......ponder this:

If Harvard grad Ryan Fitzpatrick is such a smart person why hasn't he changed his game?

I would posit that the reason is because he ENJOYS playing the gunslinging style he plays and doesn't think he'd enjoy playing it any other way.

With his life prospects beyond the NFL........ he's not going to turn into "captain checkdown" for anyone.

And I'm not even saying it's entirely his choice...........the heart wants what it wants and in the split second environment of the pocket that part of his highly trained brain says the reward is worth the risk.   Ball pushed downfield into traffic.....dopamine released.:thumbsup:

I'd also suggest that Tyrod Taylor doesn't ENJOY checking the ball down............I think he plays the game fearfully because he is afraid of losing his job........to me that's been reflected in some of his answers to questions about playing the position.

So "your game" isn't necessarily the only style you CAN play but it may be the only style you SHOULD or WILL play.

You are too generous to Tyrod. He just isn't very good. He had a good 2015 season here. But the further away we get from that the more of a fluke it starts to look. 

18 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agreed - but again, if you're going to gamble, at least use your dice roll on a guy whose skill set matches the modern game.  Gambling in the Age of Offense that a 6'5'' plodding WR will suddenly rediscover his love for the game is simply... idiotic.

So, if they were to gamble on a WR in 2017, maybe gamble on a guy that was a former 4th overall pick, that runs a 4.4, and had previously shown flashes of dominance? 

If only there were a way that they could've had such a player; one for whom they had to give up no compensation; one with which their starting QB already had a rapport.

Too had such an option didn't exist.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So, if they were to gamble on a WR in 2017, maybe gamble on a guy that was a former 4th overall pick, that runs a 4.4, and had previously shown flashes of dominance? 

If only there were a way that they could've had such a player; one for whom they had to give up no compensation; one with which their starting QB already had a rapport.

Too had such an option didn't exist.

You know I agree with you there.  Sean didn’t think he could coach Sammy.  Gave me real concerns about the “process” and Sean’s overall confidence level.  That trade was a huge mistake.

6 hours ago, john wawrow said:

i’ve ..... decided 

.............. to try to ......... argue ......

badolbilz .............. styl...e

just for ..... kicks.

jw

You forgot to include the string of condescending smiley faces. You know, to really emphasize the shallowness of the point being made. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You know I agree with you there.  Sean didn’t think he could coach Sammy.  Gave me real concerns about the “process” and Sean’s overall confidence level.  That trade was a huge mistake.

There are 2 things about it that bother me:

1) the Bills could still have his rights today, as he'd be in year 1 of the franchise tag (or possibly even transition tagged)

2) he'd still be, far and away, the team's best WR today

• Like (+1) 4