John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Close acquaintance who covers the Vegas Golden Knights and now the Raiders. He has no choice but to sugercoat; the nature of the beast circa 2019.

JW bring a lot of info and I appreciate his work. Having said that, there is pressure on the folks who cover these teams to put a positive spin on most everything. 

I will say this in JW's defense; the person I'm referencing would never visit a message board and passionately defend his positions. He doesn't fully believe what he writes. So while I don't agree with all of Wawrow's takes, I believe that he believes them to be true. I don't think a hack would be so intransigent. 

Yeah this isn't news but it used to be that the teams needed the press to generate interest and fill seats...........now the press needs the access just to keep their jobs and that's only going to continue to decrease the objectivity of local content.

The chummier the local press gets with the team the less real inside info we will get too..........it'll be like that Lakers sh*t this past week...........the details covered up for months and all hitting the fan long after-the-fact.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Why would we expect you to recognize petulance and pointless arguments?

Well if nothing else at least Cripple Creep posted something non-sexual on the football board for a change. ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The 2019 Bills should be 9-7, 10-6. Beane didn't inherit a Bruce Smith or Andre Reed either. JMHO

At the end of three years, are you going to be happy with a 9-7 record ? Sure it follows a 6-10 record but that in itself followed a 9-7 season. If fans are truly going to say "we are trending in the right direction" after 3 years, when exactly should a new regime with full power expect to be competitive in the playoffs ? I am giving them this third season, but there should be no excuses at the end of this one. None.

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well if nothing else at least Cripple Creep posted something non-sexual on the football board for a change. ?

Ahh, well done! Name calling clearly estabishes you as the rational adult here. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have to agree.  It's not like he challenged him to a jousting match.

Yeah it was a just a traditional TBD spearing contest.

Funny how everyone suddenly gets spinal stenosis after I challenge them.?

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah this isn't news but it used to be that the teams needed the press to generate interest and fill seats...........now the press needs the access just to keep their jobs and that's only going to continue to decrease the objectivity of local content.

The chummier the local press gets with the team the less real inside info we will get too..........it'll be like that Lakers sh*t this past week...........the details covered up for months and all hitting the fan long after-the-fact.

Amazing to think that TBN let go or had resign on them Sullivan, Gleason, Vogl, DiCesare, and Graham within a couple weeks this time last year.  I'm sure a few of those moves were prompted by a certain two teams' ownership not liking the coverage received concerning their underperforming clubs.  To that point, their ownership had resulted in 1 playoff appearance over 10 full seasons.  But in the warped world we live in, negative attention to teams that don't win is not permitted.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think it’s cute how special you think you are. Have a great weekend. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I think it’s cute how special you think you are. Have a great weekend. 

Petulance and pointlessness, as someone succinctly put it earlier, are the norm with this one.  Add a dash of negativity and a dose of interwebs tough guy and there you have it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well there's this warrior spirit fellow in another thread I bet you don't have the balls to challenge! Claims he loves decapitation, lets see you pull up your overalls and step in the squared circle.  ☠️

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I mean maybe it's not a GREAT apology but...

It is a Bizarro apology which makes sense for poster.

15 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

All I know is for the first time in a very, very long while I'm very excited by what we have seen the Buffalo Bills do the last two seasons! Because for the first time since 1986 the team might have finally found their franchise QB! The Dolphins are still looking for their Dan Marino. The NY Jets might have found their Broadway Joe and those Jets went 4-12 in 2018. 

Do you really think the JEST's QB will look good in fur coats with several bottles of liquor in his pockets?

14 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

At the end of three years, are you going to be happy with a 9-7 record ? Sure it follows a 6-10 record but that in itself followed a 9-7 season. If fans are truly going to say "we are trending in the right direction" after 3 years, when exactly should a new regime with full power expect to be competitive in the playoffs ? I am giving them this third season, but there should be no excuses at the end of this one. None.

If look at the history of most teams that eventually get to the super bowl... it usually doesn't happen after two seasons. There is usually a progression that follows that growth and even as amazing as the 90's Buffalo Bills were they suffered some extremely bad 2-14 back to back seasons in 1984-85 to get the chance to draft HoFer Bruce Smith number one overall in 1985, Andre Reed was a 4th round pick that year.

The Bills GM at that time was Terry Bledsoe, but they did happen to have Bill Polian as director of player personnel who took over as GM in 1986. Even as good as Polian was at building a great team quickly it even took him three years and he already had Bruce, Andre, Darryl Talley, Pete Metzelaars and signed Jim Kelly to the richest QB contract in the league. Also, what helped build that super bowl team so quickly was that the USFL folded and that brought in center Kent Hull. 

Although this is Brandon Beane's third season he wasn't here for the 2017 NFL draft and that entire scouting dept was fired and replaced which is a difficult task to handle for a first time GM. 

We fans don't know what can happen in a season beforehand so why say this regime has to do better then 9-7 considering the injuries that can happen to derail a season? The 2013 Atlanta Falcons have one of the very best franchise QB's in Matt Ryan and one of the best GM's in the league in ex Patriots man in Thomas Dimitroff and that year the Falcons went 4-12 after just being in the conference championship. 

From what I see is this new GM is building a team for the long term and bringing in players that fit what they want to do here. Look over the players that the team still has on the roster from the Doug Whaley, Buddy Nix days and look at their drafts! 

Just look at the top free agents from 2017, in Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Stephen Hauschka. Undrafted free agent Jason Croom.

2018 (now think of the limited cap space the team has had to get the top free agents this year.) Trading Tyrod Taylor for a 3rd round pick was sheer brilliance by Beane! Trading away Cordy Glenn (who was recently moved to OG)with his health issues to Cincy to help move up to draft QB Josh Allen for the 12th pick which they then traded up with the Bucs to the 7th pick. 

The Bills traded their sixth-round selection (195th overall) and wide receiver Sammy Watkins to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for the Rams' second-round selection (56th overall) and cornerback E.J. Gaines. Yeah, 16 Mill per for a decoy WR that is always injured...

The majority of this board wanted the Bills to trade up to the #2 spot with the NY Giants to draft...Josh Rosen! In doing so it would have been okay to give up the farm and the Bills 2019 first round pick. Beane held his ground and got his man at the #7 spot. He basically did the same this year with Oliver. 

C'mon man, how can you not be so very optimistic about the 2019 season and upcoming years when you look at what this GM has accomplished in his short time with Buffalo? 

This only thing I see is McD might not be the guy at head coach as I'm not sold on Brian Daboll as the Bills OC. Not after watching all those deep throws with that bad O line and crappy KB at WR, with no run game from the RB's. While we found out what a great runner JA is...he shouldn't need to be the teams leading rusher.

In my view, Beane stays no matter what! 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Well there's this warrior spirit fellow in another thread I bet you don't have the balls to challenge! Claims he loves decapitation, lets see you pull up your overalls and step in the squared circle.  ☠️

Yeah that was hilarious how they jumped on that war vet who was giving a former Bill.........who gave outstanding effort and pro bowl production and nothing but love to the fanbase.........the benefit of the doubt regarding dealing with grief and mental illness.   What a cool bunch of well adjusted dudes!:thumbsup:

But they won't be laughing when Ted Williams is regenerated from his decapitated frozen head and he hits .400 again.    Especially not Gugnutz cuz Williams will be eligible for free agency immediately and it'll be the Yanks not his Flushing Toilets.

• Like (+1) 1

It's not just that the Bill's have a F.O that comes across as competent and a clear-eyed plan that is giving many Bills fans optimism there are a number of other factors as well.

1)  Despite getting rid of some highly talented but underperforming expensive players that were highly controversial moves with segments of the fanbase the team still managed to make the playoffs which was something that hadn't been achieved in nearly 2 decades.  That's not to be understated.

2) Piggybacking off of reason #1, the fact that they were willing to make the highly controversial moves that most likely weren't a positive for ticket and Bill's related sales to free up cap space to build their team "Their way" from my perspective speaks volumes.  That a) They didnt look to anyone else including ownership for input on making such a move and b) They are in it to win games they way they see fit not how their fanbase does.

3) Landing Josh Allen.  There is a better than 50/50 chance that he is a legitimate franchise QB.  All the moves Beane made had a clear goal in mind and that was to get his franchise QB.  From most accounts Josh Allen was their guy and they did what it took to get him.  For being his first year in control of the draft for the Bills that would be a pretty damn good feat.  This is certainly a big part of the optimism.

4) It appears that this regime knows how to build a defense.  They coach up DB's which is arguably the most critical part of today's NFL defenses.  

5) The Bills have drafted some pretty good defenders.  Milano, Edmunds, Oliver and White are very likely to be key foundational pieces of this defense for years to come and are all potentially future probowlers.

6) The manner that the FO has constructed their contracts.  Many of the contracts with the free agents are structured in a manner to where if the player underperforms or isnt a fit, they can release that player early on without incurring that much dead cap space.

7) The FO recognized that the offensive line was a problem and addressed it in a forceful manner both through the draft and FA this year.

8 )There is still plenty of cap space for 2020 to continue improving the team.  Cap space = Potential productive capital on the playing field.

9) The team they are building is comprised by a bunch of hard-working guys that want to be here which is appreciated and inline with the city's personality.

10) This is more abstract in nature but the look and feel of competence with a clear commanding vision is something that this FO oozes.  And that feeling that they convey translates to optimism among the fanbase.

27 minutes ago, Magox said:

It's not just that the Bill's have a F.O that comes across as competent and a clear-eyed plan that is giving many Bills fans optimism there are a number of other factors as well.

1)  Despite getting rid of some highly talented but underperforming expensive players that were highly controversial moves with segments of the fanbase the team still managed to make the playoffs which was something that hadn't been achieved in nearly 2 decades.  That's not to be understated.

2) Piggybacking off of reason #1, the fact that they were willing to make the highly controversial moves that most likely weren't a positive for ticket and Bill's related sales to free up cap space to build their team "Their way" from my perspective speaks volumes.  That a) They didnt look to anyone else including ownership for input on making such a move and b) They are in it to win games they way they see fit not how their fanbase does.

3) Landing Josh Allen.  There is a better than 50/50 chance that he is a legitimate franchise QB.  All the moves Beane made had a clear goal in mind and that was to get his franchise QB.  From most accounts Josh Allen was their guy and they did what it took to get him.  For being his first year in control of the draft for the Bills that would be a pretty damn good feat.  This is certainly a big part of the optimism.

4) It appears that this regime knows how to build a defense.  They coach up DB's which is arguably the most critical part of today's NFL defenses.  

5) The Bills have drafted some pretty good defenders.  Milano, Edmunds, Oliver and White are very likely to be key foundational pieces of this defense for years to come and are all potentially future probowlers.

6) The manner that the FO has constructed their contracts.  Many of the contracts with the free agents are structured in a manner to where if the player underperforms or isnt a fit, they can release that player early on without incurring that much dead cap space.

7) The FO recognized that the offensive line was a problem and addressed it in a forceful manner both through the draft and FA this year.

8 )There is still plenty of cap space for 2020 to continue improving the team.  Cap space = Potential productive capital on the playing field.

9) The team they are building is comprised by a bunch of hard-working guys that want to be here which is appreciated and inline with the city's personality.

10) This is more abstract in nature but the look and feel of competence with a clear commanding vision is something that this FO oozes.  And that feeling that they convey translates to optimism among the fanbase.

#3 is the key..........they are the first Bills regime to ever go all-in on a QB on draft day.     First time they've ever used their first pick in round one or traded up above their first pick in round one for a QB.

Even if they fail miserably otherwise,  if Allen emerges as a great QB that should be remembered in the same way that Kay Stephenson should be appreciated for insisting on Bill Polian not trading away the draft picks that built the eventual SB teams to save their jobs when Polian suggested it to him.

The rest of your list is just basic "regime that hasn't fallen entirely out of favor yet" talk and is the proverbial "six of one/ half dozen of another" stack of positives(some highly subjective in nature) that nearly every regime has.   

If Allen turns into a franchise QB I will be patting McBeane on the back long after most of you are giving them the "idiot" treatment that former genius/darlings like Whaley get now.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

They have the same 15-17 record as the “awful” Whaley regime after 2 years.  And I’m a “hater” but I would take the Whaley roster after 2 years over this one (obviously Allen is the wildcard).  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2015_roster.htm

I think these guys get more positive press because they are super friendly and “better” in press conferences.  We have had awful offense and 2 years of negative point differential.  Save the praise until they have a legit good team.  It’s all fluff right now. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

One smiley emoji just won't do. This is outstanding!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

#3 is the key..........they are the first Bills regime to ever go all-in on a QB on draft day.     First time they've ever used their first pick in round one or traded up above their first pick in round one for a QB.

Even if they fail miserably otherwise,  if Allen emerges as a great QB that should be remembered in the same way that Kay Stephenson should be appreciated for insisting on Bill Polian not trading away the draft picks that built the eventual SB teams to save their jobs when Polian suggested it to him.

The rest of your list is just basic "regime that hasn't fallen entirely out of favor yet" talk and is the proverbial "six of one/ half dozen of another" stack of positives(some highly subjective in nature) that nearly every regime has.   

If Allen turns into a franchise QB I will be patting McBeane on the back long after most of you are giving them the "idiot" treatment that former genius/darlings like Whaley get now.

Arguably drafting a franchise QB is the most tangibly seen and most consequential move a FO can make.  It can hide a number of deficiencies that an organization make and help carry mediocre organizations to perennial playoff teams similar to Colts and Packers organizations over the past 20 years.  Without Manning and Luck or Favre and Rodgers those organizations aren't even average. 

That's not to minimize them completely because at the end of the day they were able to get 2 back-to-back franchise QBs and there is something to be said from that.  But if they had some of the other intangibles that other good FO teams did such as some of the things I had listed, Manning, Luck, Rodgers and Favre who between them have won countless league MVP titles, All Pro achievements and who out of them you can easily say 3 of them are top 10 all-time QBs should have won more than 3 NFL championships out of close to 50 NFL combined seasons between them.  Why?  Because they didnt have the makeup to be more consistently the best team in the league.

The "regime that hasn't fallen entirely out of favor yet" talk and is the proverbial " is too easily tossed out when you have an organization that has been miserable for over 2 decades.  That opinion is born from the past sins of the previous organizations.  

Having a clear concise vision and acting on it is in my view essential.  

Not going after splash players and being judicious yet aggressive with flexibility in the way you structure the contracts is another area to be optimistic about.

Having an organization that can draft good defensive players and coach them up is also important.

It's not that each one of these things on their own is what turns an organization around aside from drafting a franchise QB, but the combination of them is why optimism abounds.

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

C'mon man, how can you not be so very optimistic about the 2019 season and upcoming years when you look at what this GM has accomplished in his short time with Buffalo? 

This only thing I see is McD might not be the guy at head coach as I'm not sold on Brian Daboll as the Bills OC. Not after watching all those deep throws with that bad O line and crappy KB at WR, with no run game from the RB's. While we found out what a great runner JA is...he shouldn't need to be the teams leading rusher.

In my view, Beane stays no matter what! 

At no point did I say I am not optimistic. But the NFL world is a lot different than 30 years back. Teams have turned it around in less than 3 years and gone on to become contenders. The chain of command is fairly clear with the current bunch and are presumed to be in lock step. They have done what needed to be done earlier but there is a limited time allowed to show success in terms of W-L. I am unwilling to excuse another season where we arent competitive on the field, cannot beat the Pats* at least once and also miss the playoffs. These are minimums going into their third season. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Polian didn’t have that kind of juice when Stephenson was coach as he was fired before Polian was promoted to GM at the end of ‘85. That said, Polian wasn’t apt to trade those premium picks, anyway.