John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

So the “move up” tease JW tweeted last week was the second round pick of Ford?

I think he was talking about Williams

and he said there was a better chance of trading up than trading down.  If you believe the internet chatter, he may have been right 

On 4/27/2019 at 1:46 PM, Mr. WEO said:

So the “move up” tease JW tweeted last week was the second round pick of Ford?

It's my understanding the Bills were prepared to move up as high as the 7th pick if it came down to landing one of two or three players: QWiliams, Ed Oliver and possibly Hockenson. Not sure if Josh Allen was on their radar, because they expected him to go to Jacksonville.

When it got to 7 and with Hockenson and Oliver still available (and with a good feeling the Jags weren't going to pick either), there became no real need to trade up because they knew they'd land one of two players, and more than likely Oliver.

The scenario could have changed if not for what Oakland and the Giants did.

Now, if they failed in their bid to move up to 7, and missed out on one of their top-rated guys, then a trade back was likely because of the falloff grades on their board.

All that said, when looking at what Buffalo did in the second and third rounds, Beane continues to show his MO is to go after the player he wants as opposed to move back and risk losing out. ... This philosophy might change should Beane, at some point, desire adding more draft picks as assets. But so long as he has them, he likes to use them in all ways possible.

jw

PS: the speculation of the Bills moving all the way up to No. 3 was overblown.

a call was made, but the price was so high it proved to be a very short conversation. (actually, there were two conversations and both were short).

Edited by john wawrow
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 13

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:38 AM, eball said:

And in taking those "lumps" they still managed to win 15 games in two years and end the playoff drought.  Good times ahead.

that is a good point, it was important to get that monkey off their back, they did on the fly with a bit of luck but impressive nonetheless when considering they were selling some parts that would hurt in the present to get in better position for future drafts/salary cap.  

On 4/27/2019 at 8:05 AM, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Exciting times. Need to make the playoffs this year though. 

That would be soooo nice.

But...I think 8 or 9 wins and a positive growth season would also be positive improvement and reason to stay the course. The team has to show they are trending up and be well coached. I like Warrow's many points-- there is a cohesiveness that I never recall at OBD--as much so or even more so than the glory years, of course, winning keeps the dogs at bay and proves the process...so let's hope that starts to occur...

• Like (+1) 1

I like the way Beane stocked the cupboards in free agency. He filled a lot of holes without overspending and trading away high draft picks. Whether this draft "fell to him", or not, he addressed most of our needs with BPA at the time. It's been a while since I've seen so many needs filled with good draft picks. As always, time will tell how good a draft this was and I hope that Singletary does not wind up being one of those woulda, coulda, shoulda moments in time.

Edited by Uncle Joe

1 hour ago, john wawrow said:

It's my understanding the Bills were prepared to move up as high as the 7th pick if it came down to landing one of two or three players: QWiliams, Ed Oliver and possibly Hockenson. Not sure if Josh Allen was on their radar, because they expected him to go to Jacksonville.

When it got to 7 and with Hockenson and Oliver still available (and with a good feeling the Jags weren't going to pick either), there became no real need to trade up because they knew they'd land one of two players, and more than likely Oliver.

Now, if they failed in their bid to move up to 7, and missed out on one of their top-rated guys, then a trade back was likely because of the falloff grades on their board.

All that said, when looking at what Buffalo did in the second and third rounds, Beane continues to show his MO is to go after the player he wants as opposed to move back and risk losing out. ... This philosophy might change should Beane, at some point, desire adding more draft picks as assets. But so long as he has them, he likes to use them in all ways possible.

jw

a call was made, but the price was so high it proved to be a very short conversation. (actually, there were two conversations and both were short).

Thanks for these tidbits. I enjoy having some understanding of what these guys are thinking, and you're giving us all a chance to understand.  Great stuff.

As I listen to McBeane, I continue to be impressed.  They can't be right about every judgment about players, but they have a good reason for every decision they make.   And their reasons are all driven by a consistent and thoughtful team-building process.

Thanks again.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/27/2019 at 12:43 PM, MDH said:

I don't know about drafting one but they definitely need to bring in some competition, either by late draft pick, rookie FA or street FA.

Didn’t we end up with promising young punter on IR last year?

On 4/27/2019 at 12:43 PM, MDH said:

I don't know about drafting one but they definitely need to bring in some competition, either by late draft pick, rookie FA or street FA.

On 4/27/2019 at 12:31 PM, BullBuchanan said:

They just signed a Super Bowl MVP QB and have a top tier defense. If you aren't considering them at minimum better than us on paper, you're making a mistake.

The thing is, football games aren't played on paper

3-13  10-6  5-11 last 3 years

It's a question of what one thinks as the reason. 

-Was Fournette a 1-hit wonder who fell off a cliff?

-They had a lot of churn on OL, including losing their LT on IR to an ACL early in the season, losing a LG to FA (then trying to re-sign him and plug him back in, didn't work).  They released their RT go this year.  Was that the reason their run game fell off a cliff and Bortles took 50% more sacks/threw 30% fewer touchdowns?

If so, have they fixed the line?

Or is it just a case of a team over-performing one year, then regressing to the mean as teams got tape on their plays with Fournette?

The thing about Foles is that outside the Superbowl, he's a mixed bag at QB.  I personally maintain that his crap year with the Stl Rams wasn't his fault - it was "dysfunction junction" and the guy he had as his OC was fired midway through the season and hasn't worked as an OC since.  But it's clear Foles won't work well with any coach and any system.  He needs  guys who will work with him to keep his bad tendencies in check and maximize his strengths, as Shurmur and Musgrave and then Pederson, Reich, and DeFillipo did.

I do not think that Marrone and Hacket are quite the same as Shurmur or Pederson and Co. 

But I could be wrong.  Maybe Foles/Wentz is the new remake of Brees/Rivers and Marrone is the new Sean Payton. 

I'm kind of thinking "no", but could be.

• Like (+1) 2

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, BullBuchanan said:

They just signed a Super Bowl MVP QB and have a top tier defense. If you aren't considering them at minimum better than us on paper, you're making a mistake.

Nick Foles is still Nick Foles.  If he wasn't still Nick Foles, he'd still be an Eagle.

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, foreboding said:

That would be soooo nice.

But...I think 8 or 9 wins and a positive growth season would also be positive improvement and reason to stay the course. The team has to show they are trending up and be well coached. I like Warrow's many points-- there is a cohesiveness that I never recall at OBD--as much so or even more so than the glory years, of course, winning keeps the dogs at bay and proves the process...so let's hope that starts to occur...

We were at 6 wins with an awful roster. Josh Allen needs to stay healthy but we got to get to 10 wins this year. Need a jump.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, john wawrow said:

jw

Fantastic stuff John!

@john wawrow has always been a solid with his reporting of the Bills  

Too bad we don't see him here as often 

On 4/27/2019 at 11:49 AM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I know I haven't felt this good about the team in many years. sure, proof is in the pudding but the ingredients the last two years has made for what should be a successful run at the division and beyond.

call me impressed 

Can I take a gander at why?  Were his initials Tyrod Taylor?  

for your younguns   that means  “stretch one's neck to see,”

21 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Remember week 2 of last season, the Chargers game?

Many people here said that McDermott & Beane were way over their heads and should be fired.

This is why I'm Bi-Polar on McDermott.

I see solid games where they surprise me by getting more out of less and I'm positive, feeling we're on the upward trend

I was positive after the Vikes, Titans, Texans, Dolphins, Jets, and Lions

I didn't think they should be fired after the Chargers game.

I did think that after the Ravens, Packers, Colts, Patriots, and Bears.

It may matter that for the most part, the teams on the latter list are better than the teams on the former list.

I'll be on the fence until I see a game where McDermott shows he can go toe-to-toe against a top coach like Belicheck or even an up-and-comer like Nagy or Reich, and win the "chess match".

41 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

We were at 6 wins with an awful roster. Josh Allen needs to stay healthy but we got to get to 10 wins this year. Need a jump.

At least 3 of our losses were easily winnable games.  6 were clear blowouts. 1 I'm on the fence about.

To get to 10 or 11 games, we need to take a big step where last year's blowouts are at least competitive.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/27/2019 at 6:59 AM, BillyWhiteShows said:

LOL many here have wanted them

both fired and were like “We never should’ve gotten rid of Doug Marrone” or”Doug Whaley was a better GM than Beane”. ??????

I read a lot of AFC East forums and there's some...familiarity with certain posters on this board from other forums. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the folks who are in the "Every single move the Bills make is the wrong one" crowd aren't actually Bills fans..

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see solid games where they surprise me by getting more out of less and I'm positive, feeling we're on the upward trend

It may matter that for the most part, the teams on the latter list are better than the teams on the former list.

I'll be on the fence until I see a game where McDermott shows he can go toe-to-toe against a top coach like Belicheck or even an up-and-comer like Nagy or Reich, and win the "chess match".

At least 3 of our losses were easily winnable games.  6 were clear blowouts. 1 I'm on the fence about.

To get to 10 or 11 games, we need to take a big step where last year's blowouts are at least competitive.

I hear you on the blowouts,  but if I'm not mistaken Peterman was a part of most of them.  I know Josh was a part of the GB,  and the Patriots game. I don't remember who started against the Colts,  but they Mauled us. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Then I will ask you this, do you think that Beane and McDermott have made the correct moves this offseason to improve the team?

20 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Then I will ask you this, do you think that Beane and McDermott have made the correct moves this offseason to improve the team?

Just my take, but I think Hapless was more referring to Coaching in games against upper-echelon teams than the roster. Pretty sure he’s O-fer vs Pats*, Bmore, Chargers. We need to see HIM step up his game in year 3.

• Like (+1) 1