New O-Line; From 31st to top 5 in one off season?

Nsekhe Dawkins Morse Spain Ford

Nsekhe filled in for Trent Williams in Washington as LT and did a good job.  I don't see him as a RT; that is why we drafted Cody Ford.  I think Dawkins loses the competition at LT but wins the LG spot.  I think Dawkins needs a strong LG and C to appear to be an above average LT; without those he looks to be about average.

• Like (+1) 2

I do think the group will be tremendously improved. I'm already cringing thinking about the first few weeks and them meshing, though. It might be rough for awhile. But ultimately I believe we'll see a much better product by the end of the year, something we can put a stamp on as a team strength going into next season (if we resign some of those 1 year prove it players).

Aside from Morse, most of the FAs were second tier guys, most not starters on their previous teams unless due to injury.  Dawkins has to regain some of his rookie season form to be average, and Ford is a rookie himself so he may not even be good enough to start early on.   Until this unit plays in real games, it's way to early to assume anything except that they'll be better than last season's group -- but then, that wouldn't be too hard to do.   Let's see what they can do in games that count before making predictions about their ranking vis-a-vis other NFL OLs.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I harken way back to ‘88 when the O line was a concern that proved to be a strength.

I get the distinct impression J Allen will have the repeated opportunity, by mid year, to just hang out behind this line, with ridiculous amounts of time, waiting for players to come open.

Also excited to watch our run game reappear.

Run game I think has to improve with new/improved linemen and new/improved coaching (I mean Castillo, amIright?).

Allen having loads of time behind the line probably has a lot to do with how defenses play him this season. Will they man-up and send pressure often to speed up his decision-making? Or will they sit back in zones and make him take what's given? It will be interesting to watch unfold.

We can reasonably expect the line to better handle stunts and twists and zone-blitzes; they had a rough time with those last season, especially with Groy in the pivot. Morse is key here, as are more savvy interior vets like Spain, Long, et al. 

How Allen and the offense execute against defenses designed to beat him/them will be fascinating. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Aside from Morse, most of the FAs were second tier guys, most not starters on their previous teams unless due to injury.  Dawkins has to regain some of his rookie season form to be average, and Ford is a rookie himself so he may not even be good enough to start early on.   Until this unit plays in real games, it's way to early to assume anything except that they'll be better than last season's group -- but then, that wouldn't be too hard to do.   Let's see what they can do in games that count before making predictions about their ranking vis-a-vis other NFL OLs.

Thats how i see it, we didn't exactly bring in pro bowlers. We really lost A LOT when when Glenn, Incognito and Wood moved on, not sure we have comparatively replaced them.

• Like (+1) 1

Top 5  O-line unit ?

find that hard to believe......likely Top 15.....even that is a huge and much needed improvement.

I love our depth.....just not blown away by the starters except for the new center. Morse is only one who would individually be ranked in Top 15 at his position.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2019 at 5:48 AM, Buffalo Boy said:

I get the distinct impression J Allen will have the repeated opportunity, by mid year, to just hang out behind this line, with ridiculous amounts of time, waiting for players to come open.

And then taking off when no one does.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, papazoid said:

Top 5  O-line unit ?

find that hard to believe......likely Top 15.....even that is a huge and much needed improvement.

I love our depth.....just not blown away by the starters except for the new center. Morse is only one who would individually be ranked in Top 15 at his position.

I disagree, I think Nysecki plays LT and Dawkins will be a top LG. 

On 4/27/2019 at 7:28 AM, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Dawkins  Spain  Morse  Ford  Nsekhe

Those are probably the top 5.

Ford goes to RT 2020 season 

My guess as well. This is a serious challenge as virtually all our new OL can play anywhere. McDermott alluded to it in the post draft presser. “Continuity, Communication, Chemistry”. They have to decide relatively quickly who’s playing where and stick with it to develop the ‘3 C’s’. We can all use conjecture, but if they screw it up it could be disastrous. Every DLine we face will try to mess with the fact we’re still learning who we’re playing with. 

Even if they go from #31 to around near the tenth spot, it would be a HUGE improvement. That means a few more holes for the runs, a few more running down he clock drives, a few more long passes, a few more TDs. Add these up, and a 6-10 season becomes a 10-6. If they are top 5? *Drools*

On 4/27/2019 at 3:07 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

I think Dawkins ends up being the odd man out.  He was the best of a bad lot last year and I think he gets beat out and ends up being the reserve swing tackle.  

Nsekhe / Spain / Morse / Long / Ford

Just my guess.  

The Battle of the O-Line is going to be incredible this year and improved O-Line play should really push the defense to be better as well going against them in practice all week.

It will be fun to watch the new OL and DL going at each other in camp!

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Even if they go from #31 to around near the tenth spot, it would be a HUGE improvement. That means a few more holes for the runs, a few more running down he clock drives, a few more long passes, a few more TDs. Add these up, and a 6-10 season becomes a 10-6. If they are top 5? *Drools*

In NFL, the QB makes the Line better and the Line makes the QB better.  So we need improvement in both....QB play as well as OL play.   The complimentary players need to step up to the occasion.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2019 at 9:02 AM, CaptnCoke11 said:

In no scenario do i see Long starting anywhere on the line.  He’ll be back up to all interior spots.  Dawkins spot is shaky at best right now.  

I can see Long starting at RG next to Nsekhe. However, only reason I view that as a possibility is that they’ve played together on the Skins. For that to happen the sum will have to be greater than the parts. In general I agree with you. Long was signed to take Groys role. 

However it works out, I see it as follows:

Morse / Dawkins / Spain / Ford / Nsekhe

Waddle as Swing Tackle

Long as primary backup G/C

Thats a talented, and deep, OL.  

I do hope we dont play around too much with lineups during the preseason because these dudes need to gel facing that Jets Front 7 Week 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

However it works out, I see it as follows:

Morse / Dawkins / Spain / Ford / Nsekhe

Waddle as Swing Tackle

Long as primary backup G/C

Thats a talented, and deep, OL.  

I do hope we dont play around too much with lineups during the preseason because these dudes need to gel facing that Jets Front 7 Week 1. 

I see this as well 

I don't know about top 5. That requires that Dawkins takes the big step he should have taken last year and Ford lives up to expectations or exceeds them. Then we need at leaqst 1 more G to become a real monster -- either Long or Teller. Still, the improvement in this unit is exceptional. bean said they'd get this done and they sure did.

On 4/27/2019 at 5:35 AM, Doc Brown said:

It's going to take them a while to mesh and even if they do they're pry not top 5.  They have the potential to be in that 6 to 10 range though.  Mitch Morse is the only elite player on the line.  Dawkins, Spain, and Ford have the potential to be.  I'm hoping Nsekhe (I butchered the name but I don't care) orLong step up to be that fifth guy.  I've wanted Dawkins to move to guard since he's gotten here and I'm hoping the opening day roster is Nsekhe/Dawkins/Morse/Spain/Ford if all goes well.

That's my big concern with the O-line.  With so many new faces, it's going to take a while to figure out the best combination, but they need to get that figured out quickly so they can work at developing chemistry and becoming a cohesive unit.  How do you accomplish both objectives?  The good news is the guys they signed are all pretty smart players.  Even the guy they drafted, Ford is very smart and technically proficient.  That should help accelerate the learning curve.