New O-Line; From 31st to top 5 in one off season?

When the season was over last year we all knew that upgrading the O-line was the single most important thing on Beane's to-do list.  It looks like he felt the same way.  With the addition of no less than seven new O-lineman, I think we may have upgraded the teams biggest weakness into one of its major strengths in just one off season.

I think the last truly dominant O-line in the NFL was the 2016 Cowboys.  They were maulers and helped rookie Zeke Elliott to over 1,600 yards rushing and helped rookie Dak Prescott look like an All Pro, franchise QB.  There's a link below for a great article that really digs into the incredible stats for that Dallas 2016 O-line.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000784248/article/offensive-line-of-the-year-dallas-cowboys-lived-up-to-the-hype

I remember watching the Dallas offense tear it up that season and wondering why more teams don't invest in their O-lines like Dallas did?  Why the Bills never seemed to make that common sense investment? I know O-linemen are not flashy or sexy like skill position players, but everyone knows that the offense lives and dies by two things, QB play, and O-line performance, and the QB play is dictated in large part by how well the O-line plays.

I think a lot of GMs feel the need to keep the fans happy (and hopefully keep their jobs) by making splashy skill position signings and don't invest in the O-line. Does the average fan get stoked about an offensive guard signing?  It looks like Beane gets it though.  Enter Cody Ford.  It might have seemed that we were set at O-line after a free agency where we brought in six O-linemen, but I think Beane is determined to place not just a solid O-line in front of Allen, but a dominant O-line, a line like Prescott had in 2016. 

That's why they turned in an envelop with Cody Ford's name on it with the 38th pick.  A right tackle instead of a flashy WR or TE.  With any luck, Ford is the Bill's starting RT for the next ten years.  By all accounts Cody Ford plays nasty and this line has been in dire need of a little bit of nasty since Incognito left.

I think that when all the dust settles, we will have gone from the 31st ranked O-line in the league last year to a top 5 line this year.  I think every part of our offense will flourish this year because of it.  Beane gets it, find your franchise quarterback and then build the trenches, everything else will follow.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's going to take them a while to mesh and even if they do they're pry not top 5.  They have the potential to be in that 6 to 10 range though.  Mitch Morse is the only elite player on the line.  Dawkins, Spain, and Ford have the potential to be.  I'm hoping Nsekhe (I butchered the name but I don't care) orLong step up to be that fifth guy.  I've wanted Dawkins to move to guard since he's gotten here and I'm hoping the opening day roster is Nsekhe/Dawkins/Morse/Spain/Ford if all goes well.

• Like (+1) 5

27 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Only starting holdover from last year is Dawkins (maybe?) Even The coach was replaced. Yeah it’s gonna be wild.

I think Dawkins ends up being the odd man out.  He was the best of a bad lot last year and I think he gets beat out and ends up being the reserve swing tackle.  

Nsekhe / Spain / Morse / Long / Ford

Just my guess.  

The Battle of the O-Line is going to be incredible this year and improved O-Line play should really push the defense to be better as well going against them in practice all week.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

I harken way back to ‘88 when the O line was a concern that proved to be a strength.

I get the distinct impression J Allen will have the repeated opportunity, by mid year, to just hang out behind this line, with ridiculous amounts of time, waiting for players to come open.

Also excited to watch our run game reappear.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think Dawkins ends up being the odd man out.  He was the best of a bad lot last year and I think he gets beat out and ends up being the reserve swing tackle.  

Just my guess.  

The Battle of the O-Line is going to be incredible this year and improved O-Line play should really push the defense to be better as well going against them in practice all week.

I think Dawkins knows he dropped off last year and has become determined to right what was wrong.  If he does, then we truly will have a top five line.

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Just my guess.  

They're going to give Dawkins every opportunity to keep the job. I don't think Nsekhe beats him out.

OL is an area where cohesion is very important so I would expect a period of adjustment, trial and error before a group of 5 emerges and begins to gel. So the first half of the season will be interesting. Then we can see what they've put together at OL.

Edited by vincec

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

When the season was over last year we all knew that upgrading the O-line was the single most important thing on Beane's to-do list.  It looks like he felt the same way.  With the addition of no less than seven new O-lineman, I think we may have upgraded the teams biggest weakness into one of its major strengths in just one off season.

I think the last truly dominant O-line in the NFL was the 2016 Cowboys.  They were maulers and helped rookie Zeke Elliott to over 1,600 yards rushing and helped rookie Dak Prescott look like an All Pro, franchise QB.  There's a link below for a great article that really digs into the incredible stats for that Dallas 2016 O-line.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000784248/article/offensive-line-of-the-year-dallas-cowboys-lived-up-to-the-hype

I remember watching the Dallas offense tear it up that season and wondering why more teams don't invest in their O-lines like Dallas did?  Why the Bills never seemed to make that common sense investment? I know O-linemen are not flashy or sexy like skill position players, but everyone knows that the offense lives and dies by two things, QB play, and O-line performance, and the QB play is dictated in large part by how well the O-line plays.

I think a lot of GMs feel the need to keep the fans happy (and hopefully keep their jobs) by making splashy skill position signings and don't invest in the O-line. Does the average fan get stoked about an offensive guard signing?  It looks like Beane gets it though.  Enter Cody Ford.  It might have seemed that we were set at O-line after a free agency where we brought in six O-linemen, but I think Beane is determined to place not just a solid O-line in front of Allen, but a dominant O-line, a line like Prescott had in 2016. 

That's why they turned in an envelop with Cody Ford's name on it with the 38th pick.  A right tackle instead of a flashy WR or TE.  With any luck, Ford is the Bill's starting RT for the next ten years.  By all accounts Cody Ford plays nasty and this line has been in dire need of a little bit of nasty since Incognito left.

I think that when all the dust settles, we will have gone from the 31st ranked O-line in the league last year to a top 5 line this year.  I think every part of our offense will flourish this year because of it.  Beane gets it, find your franchise quarterback and then build the trenches, everything else will follow.

I agree, and if they are then I don't think 10 or 11 wins is a crazy as some people think. As I just said in another thread, a great O-line just improves everything. Even the defense will benefit as they're not having to spend as long on the field, and if we get more leads they get to be more aggressive as teams are playing catchup, meaning more turnovers.

Can't wait for camp to see these guys begin to work together.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BobDVA said:

I think Dawkins knows he dropped off last year and has become determined to right what was wrong.  If he does, then we truly will have a top five line.

It's hard to completely hold last year against him. He was part of a unit that had all sorts of problems. You OL is only as strong as the weakest link and was there ever a lot of weak links.

Like a lot of posters have said, it's going to take time for this group to gel and know how to work with each other. #17's ability to run around will mask things a bit stat wise. But it's way too early to be talking top 5, that's like Rex declaring us winning the offseason every year he was here ?

• Like (+1) 1

Ford has fronted mobile QBs well. He is a technician - and is great at frustrating the lineman he is engaged with because he just doesn’t give ground. While a Jawaan Taylor can turn nasty and pancake block linemen as a Tackle he is not versatile like Ford who you can move around anywhere on the line. Ford is just solid inside or outside. His versatility gives the Bills so many options - if Long and Spain work out he goes outside. If Nsekhe and Dawkins work out well he can move inside. 

The key to Ford’s game is that it is predicated upon beating the opposing lineman to the spot through sheer athleticism. And then just holding his ground. He is not super strong. That is why game tape is more important than BP reps. I have not seen a tackle pull as well as he does.

Oliver and then Ford - the athletic side on either side of the line just underwent a quantum leap. Nicely done Beane. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Dawkins  Spain  Morse  Ford  Nsekhe

Those are probably the top 5.

Ford goes to RT 2020 season 

Thats my expectation. If Dawkins struggles a bit you miiiiight see him kick inside and nsekhe slide over with ford at rt this year but I’m expecting your configuration with teller, long and waddle off the bench. Should be middle of the pack instead of a weakness.

2 hours ago, BobDVA said:

Agree on Dawkins .. bottom line ... he had no challenges or leadership from his fellow OL teammates in 2018 .... it's a totally different situation in 2019 .. the message has been sent .. step up or get sent to the bench ... I predict he responds and hopefully Morse will be a good mentor to push him forward

2 hours ago, BobDVA said:

Look who was playing beside Dawkins. He will rebound. 

Having said that they may eye a trade too