"The Bills are winning this Draft" - Per Matt Miller

Scorp83

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

So, you’re saying they’re just like you with an opposite take. Perfect.

You do know the history of B/R’s business model right? That they “employed” (without paying) legions of regular fans as content creators for years to build their brand, fans that, yes, like me (and you) needed no particular expertise or background related to the sport they covered? Just a willingness to work for free building a brand they would never have any stake in? Did you know that Mr. Mod? So forgive me for being a little skeptical about a thread touting the opinion of BR contributor.

once upon a time B/R links weren’t even allowed around here, so get off my back.

Like I said in another thread:

This draft has proven to me that the Bills can get great value at every single pick, attack areas of need, receive universal praise nationally from both mainstream and analytics nerd outlets....and there will STILL be a ton of whining and griping from people simply because the Bills didn't pick exactly who these people wanted them to pick. 

This year's gripers seem to have one thing in common: They wanted WRs, and they're upset that the Bills didn't take any, so they've decided to ***** on every pick the Bills make regardless, just because it isn't who THEY wanted. I even see a lot of "Bills should've taken X player at that spot", even though the player that said fan wanted wound up going like a full round later. Value is a real thing in the draft. You don't just say "I'm taking a WR next round come hell or high water!"

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it never ceases to amaze me how much people will whine just because the team didn't do what THEY wanted. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess, because it happens ever year, but sheesh.

For anyone sick of the negativity, I suggest taking a break from TBD and reading just about any national outlet's coverage of the Bills draft, because outside of the TBD bubble, it's hard to find anyone knocking what the Bills have done.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

4 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Not sure I trust your math.  For example, didn't it cost us 3 number 1's to draft Sammy Watkins?

Depends on your spin - especially with Watkins.  

We had 2 4th round picks that became 1 player in the third round.  Hence a loss of 1 pick.

If you hate the Sammy Pick - then our 2 number 1 picks became a different #1 that we used - so 3 number 1 picks on Sammy for the haters ?.

28 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

You do know the history of B/R’s business model right? That they “employed” (without paying) legions of regular fans as content creators for years to build their brand, fans that, yes, like me (and you) needed no particular expertise or background related to the sport they covered? Just a willingness to work for free building a brand they would never have any stake in? Did you know that Mr. Mod? So forgive me for being a little skeptical about a thread touting the opinion of BR contributor.

once upon a time B/R links weren’t even allowed around here, so get off my back.

I won’t get off your back and your inability to acknowledge change through history is the reason why. I’ll take these guys insights today  over any of the typical crap that flows from your fingertips.

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Does this mean not adding talent was the plan in years gone by?

People are going to have contrary opinions.  Rather than ridiculing people for possessing them, how about debating them for why you believe the way you do.

It's a legitimate exercise, but it does require some intelligence.  

Is this the same front office as in years past?

8 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

We always have next years draft to balance the RB room.

A 3rd round pick is a relatively large commitment to a RB. I think they must view Singletary as an eventual 3 down back. It's not great value otherwise. 

I wouldn't be particularly happy if RB is still a need next offseason.

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I won’t get off your back and your inability to acknowledge change through history is the reason why. I’ll take these guys insights today  over any of the typical crap that flows from your fingertips.

So it’s not prudent to be skeptical of a source with a history such as B/R’s? Okay. For the record I don’t and never said I did disagree with this Matt Miller guy. I think the draft is going great for the Bills. I just questioned the bona fides considering the history of the source. 

But of course you just go ad hominem because laziness I guess. Such a great example you are for posters around here. Really top notch as always Chandler.

3 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

I think that we might have discussed this about the Watkins trade.  What did we decide on?  I think it might have actually been 4 picks....The pick for Sammy at 4, the pick Cleveland used at 9.....the pick the following year...and a pick we would need to use in the future to get a receiver like the one Sammy was supposed to be.   Yeah....I think that was the conclusion the board came to...but feel free to discuss.

You mean one that has 2 good feet

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Like I said in another thread:

This draft has proven to me that the Bills can get great value at every single pick, attack areas of need, receive universal praise nationally from both mainstream and analytics nerd outlets....and there will STILL be a ton of whining and griping from people simply because the Bills didn't pick exactly who these people wanted them to pick. 

This year's gripers seem to have one thing in common: They wanted WRs, and they're upset that the Bills didn't take any, so they've decided to ***** on every pick the Bills make regardless, just because it isn't who THEY wanted. I even see a lot of "Bills should've taken X player at that spot", even though the player that said fan wanted wound up going like a full round later. Value is a real thing in the draft. You don't just say "I'm taking a WR next round come hell or high water!"

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it never ceases to amaze me how much people will whine just because the team didn't do what THEY wanted. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess, because it happens ever year, but sheesh.

For anyone sick of the negativity, I suggest taking a break from TBD and reading just about any national outlet's coverage of the Bills draft, because outside of the TBD bubble, it's hard to find anyone knocking what the Bills have done.

I agree! Like I said in my original post, I know in my heart this is a good draft... I'm a little disappointed they didn't address WR. But that doesn't take away from the value & picks they brought in... my favorite pick right now is the one everyone doesn't like Singletary. I think come next year whe. we don't have Shady or Gore... this kid is a bell cow... & everyone is going to forget they didn't want him this year. He gives us youth at the position. Something we were lacking for sure!

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

A 3rd round pick is a relatively large commitment to a RB. I think they must view Singletary as an eventual 3 down back. It's not great value otherwise. 

I wouldn't be particularly happy if RB is still a need next offseason.

It might be, Gore & Shady might not be here come next year bother have 1 yr left & I doubt they're going to extend any offers.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, MtlBillsFan said:

I love Beane but the guy is human. I'm with the posters who thinks two 4th to move up to get Knox is a bit expensive. Is it a big deal? Probably not. But that is two less chance to hit for a starting player which is very likely in the 4th.

Go Bills!

I mentioned in a different thread, I think part of the Bills decision here was not just getting Knox, but #### blocking New England from getting him. Which if true, makes the price seem more reasonable.

Beating New England at their own game...priceless.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

the cries for wr is nauseating at this point. There wasn’t a wr who was going to just come in and start for this team. They have a bunch of quality WRs on the roster already with brown Beasley foster jones McKenzie and Williams. For the love of god stop crying about WRs lol. You people do know that if this group doesn’t preform up to your standards they can still address the issue next year right. Just look at all the great moves this Fo has made the past two years to fill all the obvious holes on this team. Go bills. 

Edited by Rocbillsfan1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

It might be, Gore & Shady might not be here come next year bother have 1 yr left & I doubt they're going to extend any offers.

They used a 3rd round pick on a running back. Singletary is supposed to be the guy. I would be shocked if Shady OR Gore were on the team in 2020. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be shocked if one of them wasn't on the team in 2019.

That being said, we shouldn't need to draft a running back in the top 3rd of the draft if Singletary is the right guy.

Use the Chiefs for example. They drafted Hunt in the 4th to be the bellcow. Had it not been for the off field issues, they may have needed more backs, but they wouldn't need to be drafting one relatively early. 

When you spend a 3rd on a RB, the expectations are pretty high.

Edited by LSHMEAB

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Beane and McDermott have already proven, in their last two years of drafting, that they are good at identifying talent and getting guys that will help the team. Edmunds, Allen, Matt Milano, Taron Johnson, Tre White, Wyatt Teller, Dion Dawkins, Zay Jones. Undrafted Levi Wallace and Robert Foster. These are guys from the last two draft classes that have been significant contributors and are the building blocks of the new team. You can't argue with their success rate.

Those are definitely exceptions. If you never found diamonds in the rough, the draft would only be 4 rounds long. But generally speaking, higher picks are better.

The problem with your rebuttal average random fan is that Whaley and his scouts ran the 2017 draft not Beane. 

Hmmmm....maybe the front office knows more than all you hand wringers.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/the-2020-wr-class-could-truly-be-historic

Oh yeah, there’s this too. Some STUD FA WR’s next year. I’d take every single one over any that were taken in this draft. 

https://clutchpoints.com/top-10-nfl-free-agents-2020-class/

Edited by Bockeye
Spelling error
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I appreciate the good press but I have to laugh at draft grades on draft weekend. No one really has a clue. I always try to find the good in every pick but who knows. What I really don't understand is the posters who act like any pick is terrible and some other player would have been better. We're all just guessing.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

The problem with your rebuttal average random fan is that Whaley and his scouts ran the 2017 draft not Beane. 

McDermott was in charge. Everybody knows that. That's why I said Beane AND McDermott. Those two are responsible for the latest rebuild of this team.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billykay said:

I think that Kroft will be their starter, at least to start the season.

I think so too... but he has had a history of being dinged up... so we'll see come camp

10 hours ago, MJS said:

McDermott was in charge. Everybody knows that. That's why I said Beane AND McDermott. Those two are responsible for the latest rebuild of this team.

He might of made the final decisions but those were players brought to him by Whaley and his scouts. Btw don't glorify that draft to much we missed out on some really good players in that draft including the MVP of the NFL . U can't trade our last 3 drafts combined for Mahomes. Which btw I the random fan wanted very badly in the 1st rd. I guess I should be paid millions to.  ?

12 hours ago, MJS said:

And all three of our picks in the first two rounds of that draft had been on visits to the Carolina Panthers.

Sorry, what is that Mr Goodell? Noooo of course Brandon Beane wasn't running our draft while still employed in Carolina... what a preposterous suggestion! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1