"The Bills are winning this Draft" - Per Matt Miller

Scorp83

People are upset with the idea that its a bit of a reach, but according to whom? Bills could've had him as their 2nd or 3rd best. Two fourths for a guy that could be our answer at tight end is peanuts. At this point we have so many people on this roster I'm fine spending two picks on a guy we really want than taking two players that probably won't even make the practice squad. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, scribo said:

Gotta love the know-it-all arm-chair GMs. We have national media falling over themselves to praise the Bills for their draft picks and free agency acquisitions. Yet the posters here think their "work" with YouTube videos have them in better position to evaluate talent.

I am still waiting for Beane to draft a punter. Field position wins wild card games!

• Haha (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

For all the guys moaning and groaning for Hakeem Butler and why we didn’t take him at 74. If he is sooooo good, why is he still sitting there at pick 101 right now. That means he’s lasted 27 picks(almost a full round) after the Bills took Singletary. 

Heres why. He’s slow to get moving. It takes him a long time to get up to speed. He’s not a good route runner and will fail to gain separation in the NFL. He also has a history of drops and struggles against physical Corners who get into his chest plate. 

The problem is people watch his highlights and see a huge WR who has made some fantastic one handed catches and think the guy is unstoppable. He’s Kelvin Benjamin  

Hmmmm... ?  

I took it as this being a defense loaded draft, & this not being that great of a WR class is the reason why he's slipping. I felt AJ Brown was the best WR in this class & the defense totally pushed him down the boards.  I hear ya but we'll see... Ridley Riley is still there too & So is Anthony Johnson... I just feel like there's alot of O-linemen & D-Line run right now along with some Corners that's about to fly off the board in the 4th

3 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

This draft is not top heavy but it has great depth all the way threw the 5th rd. From the 3rd to 5 has basically the same caliber players . Beane fumbled the draft when he took Singletary then he had to correct his wrong by moving up for Knox. 

Thanks, random fan. I'll trust the experts and the people who get paid millions of dollars because of their proven record of talent evaluation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

How are we winning the draft when we have a bunch of WR3s on the roster? He's an inaccurate QB and as we saw last year no one could get separation, that is still a huge issue. I see another year with loads of INTs. We need to do what KC did with Hill/Hunt/Kelce/Watkins. Surround your young franchise QB with as many weapons as possible. Not a big fan of a slow RB either, have enough of those. 

Edited by Awwufelloff

8 hours ago, sven233 said:

My biggest issue with this pick is not the player.  He could turn out to be awesome.  My only concern is giving up 2 4th round picks to get him.  But, it looks like Beane is starting to feel like our roster is getting very close to where he wants it to be and that the chances of these lower round guys making the team is slim.  If that's the case, then this makes giving up the 2 4th rounders a bit easier to swallow.

Beane explained there was a big drop off in  their opinion from Knox to the next TE  so they decided to go get him...I'm not mad...4th round picks can be good players at times but they shouldnt be expected to be.

Edited by matter2003

12 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Calm down skip, that’s why I was asking - I know BR has some legit trustworthy content creators now - I just wanted more info on this particular guy because I wasn’t familiar with him.

BR was founded in ‘07, and has been a cesspool for most of its existence, so not sure where you’re getting your “15 years” from by the way chief. ?

Just hypothetically speaking .... they've been around for a while...is what I was getting at 

44 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

2 -1s no wonder youre so upset about that trade.

I think that we might have discussed this about the Watkins trade.  What did we decide on?  I think it might have actually been 4 picks....The pick for Sammy at 4, the pick Cleveland used at 9.....the pick the following year...and a pick we would need to use in the future to get a receiver like the one Sammy was supposed to be.   Yeah....I think that was the conclusion the board came to...but feel free to discuss.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Thanks, random fan. I'll trust the experts and the people who get paid millions of dollars because of their proven record of talent evaluation.

Proven record of throwing away mid rd pks. That's what the Bills do this is nothing new.  Paid millions yes and there's plenty of them being paid millions to go home and collect dust because of there inept draft skills.

People here amaze me u want to crown Beane for making no brainer pks u don't have to pay me millions to pick Oliver and Cody in the 1st 2 rds. Matter of fact 90% of this board could of done that for free. Where GMs earn respect is in the mid rds of the draft. 

Edited by BillsFan1988
  • Haha (+1) 1

I can't remember being more satisfied with a draft in the immediate aftermath. The first 2 picks were exactly what I hoped for, & I'm optimistic about the other two.

That said, we're all just guessing. Our opinions are like the pennies in your pocket - we've all got them & they aren't worth *****.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ok, so you had nothing. I was genuinely asking if you had information.  It was a guess by you. Don’t be salty. 

I see why people are making the link between us taking Knox and the Patriots trading back - especially as to me he was the last of the TEs who can contribute in year 1. That said I have searched and searched and I can find no evidence of Knox having met with the Pats at any point this spring. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

The plan is to add talent, it's simple, you are choosing to muddle it.

Does this mean not adding talent was the plan in years gone by?

31 minutes ago, scribo said:

Gonzo, don't you realize we have posters here who know better than every NFL team?

People are going to have contrary opinions.  Rather than ridiculing people for possessing them, how about debating them for why you believe the way you do.

It's a legitimate exercise, but it does require some intelligence.  

48 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

For all the guys moaning and groaning for Hakeem Butler and why we didn’t take him at 74. If he is sooooo good, why is he still sitting there at pick 101 right now. That means he’s lasted 27 picks(almost a full round) after the Bills took Singletary. 

Heres why. He’s slow to get moving. It takes him a long time to get up to speed. He’s not a good route runner and will fail to gain separation in the NFL. He also has a history of drops and struggles against physical Corners who get into his chest plate. 

The problem is people watch his highlights and see a huge WR who has made some fantastic one handed catches and think the guy is unstoppable. He’s Kelvin Benjamin  

Antonio Brown went in the 6th. Colston went in the 7th. Thielen wasn’t drafted. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan1988 said:

Proven record of throwing away mid rd pks. That's what the Bills do this is nothing new.  Paid millions yes and there's plenty of them being paid millions to go home and collect dust because of there inept draft skills.

Beane and McDermott have already proven, in their last two years of drafting, that they are good at identifying talent and getting guys that will help the team. Edmunds, Allen, Matt Milano, Taron Johnson, Tre White, Wyatt Teller, Dion Dawkins, Zay Jones. Undrafted Levi Wallace and Robert Foster. These are guys from the last two draft classes that have been significant contributors and are the building blocks of the new team. You can't argue with their success rate.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Those are definitely exceptions. If you never found diamonds in the rough, the draft would only be 4 rounds long. But generally speaking, higher picks are better.

8 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Yes, we do. I've never seen him in pads against actual competition. I can't even take a guess at how he'll fit in. Heck, they might end up trying him at H-back.

he can only be a p.s. player this year so he can't even be part of the conversation really.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess I don’t understand the point? Is it GMs miss on guys? Guys fall in the draft? He’s not that great. He’s a big slow WR. The game has changed. Big slow guys are few and far between in success. The hype is seeing him on Youtube and ESPN making the middle of the field one handed catch and then seeing a 40 that wasn’t abysmal and saying wow this guy is faster than I thought, look how big he is, he has to be good!

Marques Colston fell because he played at Hofstra, a program that no longer exists. Antonio Brown was a MAC Player. Thielen played at a D2 school. Butler played in the Big 12 and had every scout in the country watching him. Which should indicate that their scouts have a much better feel for what he truly is.