"The Bills are winning this Draft" - Per Matt Miller

Scorp83

11 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Forgive my ignorance, who is matt miller exactly? Obviously I see he covers the draft for BR, but BR is full of wannabes and know-nothings pretending to know stuff. Does he have a actual pedigree beyond BR? 

Matt Miller is one of the best draft guys in the business as has been for a number of years. His scouts notebook column each week during the college football season is a must read. 

I did love the line "Knox might not have a load of production but he played with a bad Quarterback in a team that had Metcalf, Brown and Lodge catching the ball.... this isn't Iowa where they just throw to the Tight End every play"

??? 

Hock jock sniffers take note.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I'm pretty happy with this draft. Grabbing a HB in the 3rd was a bit of a head scratcher when you consider the Yeldon signing, but I love the other picks. I'll just have to have faith on that pick... I just don't see a real plan at HB.

I think Beane was true to his word in taking the BPA in the first three rounds.  If the o-line can mesh early, Allen is set up to have a breakout year.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Matt Miller is one of the best draft guys in the business as has been for a number of years. His scouts notebook column each week during the college football season is a must read. 

I did love the line "Knox might not have a load of production but he played with a bad Quarterback in a team that had Metcalf, Brown and Lodge catching the ball.... this isn't Iowa where they just throw to the Tight End every play"

??? 

Hock jock sniffers take note.

I listen to his Stick to Football podcast and he's been talking up Knox for months, even mentioned him possibly going end of the 1st at one point. I'm super excited about the Oliver, Ford and Knox picks

• Like (+1) 7

Just now, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

I listen to his Stick to Football podcast and he's been talking up Knox for months, even mentioned him possibly going end of the 1st at one point. I'm super excited about the Oliver, Ford and Knox picks

Same. I don't hate the running back but I don't love it either. Think the other 3 are great picks. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Same. I don't hate the running back but I don't love it either. Think the other 3 are great picks. 

Exactly where I am, it's nice he gets to learn from Shady and Gore but not a huge learning curve at RB anyway, that pick isn't moving the needle for me either way but I think we killed it otherwise.

• Like (+1) 3

Having multiple RBs coming out the backfield is going to cause some mismatches. One of those guys are going to get a LB mismatch.Thats where the Yeldon pick up makes sense. He had 487 yds and 4 tds receiving last year. 

Edited by 83Reed

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Unless they trade their 5th & 6th to move to 4th, Butler will be gone and everyone else left is just wr meh....Love our first 2 picks and Singletary will be intriguing. Dawson creek Knox landing was too expensive. 

Butler is my favorite here. I’ve been hoping for him since round 2. But there’s still some good ones to be had

Hall

Harmon

Ridley

Johnson

thats my order after Butler. I’m really hoping we get one if then. Hopefully Butler tho 

4 hours ago, sven233 said:

My biggest issue with this pick is not the player.  He could turn out to be awesome.  My only concern is giving up 2 4th round picks to get him.  But, it looks like Beane is starting to feel like our roster is getting very close to where he wants it to be and that the chances of these lower round guys making the team is slim.  If that's the case, then this makes giving up the 2 4th rounders a bit easier to swallow.

...and don't forget that he'll bag another ROY candidate from the UDFA pool.  So there's that too

14 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'll give the draft a C. The linemen were safe, ok picks. The "skill" players are unknowns at best. It's a passable draft. I see his plan on offense is to proceed with a legion of average guys. Can't say it excites me.

The linemen were "safe, ok picks"?  ?

• Like (+1) 2

My biggest issue with this pick is not the player.  He could turn out to be awesome.  My only concern is giving up 2 4th round picks to get him.  But, it looks like Beane is starting to feel like our roster is getting very close to where he wants it to be and that the chances of these lower round guys making the team is slim.  If that's the case, then this makes giving up the 2 4th rounders a bit easier to swallow.

This is exactly how I feel these players can be good but I truly believe Beane panicked when he select "Lil Motor" in the 3rd with Chase Winovich and Jace Sternberger still available then to right his wrong he gave up our 2 4s on Knox. Like u said it's not so much the players in that we paid handsomely for them.  

Any GM can look great pkn in the top 10 of the first 2rds but the meat and potatoes in this draft and every draft is the 3rd threw 5th rds. I give Beane a F grade for how he handled the 2nd day starting in the 3rd rd and what makes even more of a head scratcher is that he admitted during his press conference that panicked a Lil bit. 

Well it’s essentially 1 4th round pick because they gained a 3rd 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

When you have 10 picks you use them to trade up and get better picks. That's what those 4th rounders were there for. And I hope the Bills use more of their lower picks to trade up a bit again. Having a bunch of 4th round and below guys on your team is not super helpful. Yes, you might get lucky with one of them, but generally speaking the higher a guy is drafted the better career he'll have. Generally.

This draft is not top heavy but it has great depth all the way threw the 5th rd. From the 3rd to 5 has basically the same caliber players . Beane fumbled the draft when he took Singletary then he had to correct his wrong by moving up for Knox. 

18 minutes ago, 5ths the charm said:

I find it arrogant that anyone can say we don't have holes that a 4th or 5th rounder couldn't fill. That we are going with gadget rbs and project player TEs in the third round?

....and what value have Meatball or Milano shown (COUGH)??.............

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Well it’s essentially 1 4th round pick because they gained a 3rd 

To me we wasted 2 pks for nothing . 

Singletary- Small and slow doesn't equal workhorse . His highlight videos are against some crappy schools . Yes he's shifty and does his best impression of McCoy but after carrying the ball more then 700 times in college gives the feel that we bought an old sports car with a with some serious dents and a ton of miles.

37 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'll give the draft a C. The linemen were safe, ok picks. The "skill" players are unknowns at best. It's a passable draft. I see his plan on offense is to proceed with a legion of average guys. Can't say it excites me.

You are absolutely the worst poster on this board...congrats!

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

The linemen were "safe, ok picks"?  ?

Yes. They followed the BPA model, that makes them safe and ok. 

Just now, zevo said:

You are absolutely the worst poster on this board...congrats!

The unmitigated gall for not fawning over every pick! How dare I?

Lol

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yes. They followed the BPA model, that makes them safe and ok. 

The unmitigated gall for not fawning over every pick! How dare I?

Lol

I think both are more than just "safe and ok" players. 

46 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Oh no only a C?!!! Is there anyway for Beane to earn extra credit to move things to a B.

The use of the word "safe" to describe the linemen picks makes me think that you are attempting a little amateur trolling here. I've seen worse efforts but there's definitely room for you to improve. I'm giving your trolling efforts a B- but saying you have potential.

• Thank you (+1) 2