RD 3, Pick 96: TE Dawson Knox, Ole Miss

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ole Miss needs to be investigated again for not using this guy more.  His tape is filthy. 

...or incorrectly.....weren't there some knocks about Oliver NOT being used correctly in college?....guess I should be explicitly concerned with a player's collegiate past as my sole guidance......which then means I need to resign myself to the fact that Josh will NEVER make it in the NFL, right?....

3 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

A couple things:

1. He looks surprisingly quick, fluid, fast. Anyone know why he didn’t run the 40 at the combine?

2. We know Beane and Co spent A Lot if time watching DK Metcalf and AJ Brown,  obviously Knox caught there eye. 

So instead of getting one of their stud receivers, we got the TE who was so talented they didn’t throw to him!  Just kidding (sort of).  He has a good name. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

A couple things:

1. He looks surprisingly quick, fluid, fast. Anyone know why he didn’t run the 40 at the combine?

2. We know Beane and Co spent A Lot if time watching DK Metcalf and AJ Brown,  obviously Knox caught there eye. 

Sports hernia. Fully recovered by pro day. Hence 5.7 and 5.1.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like the potential in Knox measurables but I see people saying he is "everything you want in a TE prospect"........and I am not sure he's really even a classic receiving TE.

He is stiff as a board............I mean if there is tape on him where he turns his hips I haven't seen it..........he turns his entire body to get around to the ball and that effectively shortens his frame and arms as a target.

The tape measure says he's got the minimum frame for a TE but he looks kinda' Hbacky due to that stiffness.  Weird that he was a QB and doesn't seem to be able to rotate his hips.:lol:  

That will likely limit his catch radius sorta like it does for a guy like Nick O'Leary(Nick has short arms to boot so it's worse but you get the jist).    

That stiff back and core area might make him a stouter blocker though and it looked like Ole Miss liked to use him to lead block some so DiMarco might be out of work soon.:thumbsup:

That may be a way to keep four active running backs on game day. 

Be nice to have a threat to block or catch the ball and/or beat a LB down the sideline. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So instead of getting one of their stud receivers, we got the TE who was so talented they didn’t throw to him!  Just kidding (sort of).  He has a good name. 

? And yes, Dawson Knox sounds like the name of an esteemed Professor of Classics Emeritus. All it needs is one of those ever popular Roman numerals after it. Add a middle initial and we're in Gilligan's Island territory.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Dawson Knox sounds like a typical Bills player that we will forget about in 3 years 

don't understand why we didn't trade back into the 2nd round to grab a WR bc there were plenty of big names left. 

Edited by XABI64
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

Not sure it's high risk at all.

The injury history is a concern, but mostly the lack of experience at the position makes it a risky trade. But, when I say "high risk, high reward," I'm using that in the business sense. In other words, just using the pick we had would be the standard risk. Trading away other draft capital is adding risk, regardless of who we pick. And, to be clear, I think it was a worthy investment.

14 minutes ago, XABI64 said:

Dawson Knox sounds like a typical Bills player that we will forget about in 3 years 

don't understand why we didn't trade back into the 2nd round to grab a WR bc there were plenty of big names left. 

This is not a great WR draft IMO (or RBs either for that matter). Not to say terrible, some guys project as # 2s, #3s but no clear #1 prospects. Thing is, except for AJ Brown (who I like a lot), they are all probably years away from being consistent and productive players assuming they ever get there ( with possible exception for guys drafted into perfect schemes like Isabella in Zona). Looks to me that the Bills figured out a long time ago that they were not prioritizing that position in the draft. They went with proven quality NFL receivers in FA instead to complement the best of what they already have on the roster.

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

I love the enthusiasm and a player that is embracing the fans, but this has to be it.  No more.  Beane I'm sure will say something to him For this.

Yeah no kidding. He's supposed to be a mature, level headed guy. He's a professional now, not a college kid, and he needs to act like it. Maybe Lorax or Frank Gore should kick his a$$.

I agree with the posters that allude to New England wanting Knox.

We jumped ahead of NE by trade, took their man, then NE traded down -- that's how I think it rolled.

I like the process. It's big & nasty and has got juice (I'm out of recent cliches).

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like the potential in Knox measurables but I see people saying he is "everything you want in a TE prospect"........and I am not sure he's really even a classic receiving TE.

He is stiff as a board............I mean if there is tape on him where he turns his hips I haven't seen it..........he turns his entire body to get around to the ball and that effectively shortens his frame and arms as a target.

The tape measure says he's got the minimum frame for a TE but he looks kinda' Hbacky due to that stiffness.  Weird that he was a QB and doesn't seem to be able to rotate his hips.:lol:  

That will likely limit his catch radius sorta like it does for a guy like Nick O'Leary(Nick has short arms to boot so it's worse but you get the jist).    

That stiff back and core area might make him a stouter blocker though and it looked like Ole Miss liked to use him to lead block some so DiMarco might be out of work soon.:thumbsup:

I think they see a guy with a lot of athletic upside and a projectable frame. I feel like just has not been coached to this point. There is no refinement in his game. If he went to Iowa, or Wisconsin or something where they really train their tight ends, I think he would have been a first round pick. I think they see a moldable piece. 

42 minutes ago, XABI64 said:

Maybe they didn’t have the “big names” enough ahead of him on their board enough to give up that much capital to get into the 2nd

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

This just goes to show you that the Bills can have a draft in which they get great value at every single pick, attack positions of need, and get universally praised by national analysts....

And there will STILL be a bunch of whiners and complainers acting like they know better and griping about the picks just because it's not exactly who THEY wanted.

And here's the real crux of it all: Many posters were just fully attached to the idea that they wanted the Bills to draft WRs. The fact that the Bills didn't do so is pretty much the entire reason for their anger. 

It's beyond silly.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1