RD 3, Pick 96: TE Dawson Knox, Ole Miss

7 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

I know Knox had 0 career TDs in College, but I'm here to reassure everyone that he knows the endzone whereabouts, here's the evidence.

Those look like...TDs to me.  Were they called back?  Pre-season games?

9 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Are the Patriots as dumb as the Bills for spending a third round pick on a dime-a-dozen pick em up undrafted for a bag of peanuts running back, or is that developmental disability unique to the Bills?

What if I told you they picked a freebie running back in the FIRST ROUND last year too?!?

I was going to mention this.  The Cheaters picked a RB in the 1st round last year and then another in the 3rd this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Will say again:

TE with 0 TDs = reaching on a combine all star. 

RB with 66 TDs in 3 years = reaching on a stats guy who lacks the measurables. 

The cognitive dissonance on display is peak Bills fan. 

A+ marks for the 2017 pseudo-intellectual terminology.:thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If he doesn't play like Alvin Kamara or Kareem Hunt........other recent 3rd round picks...........then they probably should've just waited.

That may seem lofty but "good" RB production is not hard to find.   Singletary is the only RB I mocked to the Bills.......I thought he *could* surprise and be a top rotational RB....... but I wasn't touching a RB until late 4th round at the EARLIEST in this draft. 

I'd even have taken my chances not drafting one this year and having my choice of UDFA's because of the perceived vacancy for a "young" RB on the roster.   

If you believe Albright it seems like the Bills have the QB development process a bit backwards..........he said they want to try to ease Josh Allen along with a heavy run based attack.

I don't like the sound of that.......it's very 1990's and muting to Josh Allen's LOUD skills...........the modern approach to boosting young QB's is to load up on matchup winning receiving targets like the Rams, Eagles, Bears, Chiefs...........who ALL then took young QB's to the playoffs.

Re: Singletary... Perhaps NE was taking him if we didn’t.  They went Damien Harris right after.

Knox has everything you would look for in a TE prospect in terms of both measurables and intangibles. Prototypical size, elite athleticism, a really good head on his shoulders (honour roll, double major), demonstrated ability as a receiver and blocker. The only thing he doesn't have is the production he would have had if he played at Iowa.  He's only been a TE for 2 years but has shown that he is coachable - he made strides as a blocker last year, which suggests that he is capable of filling out the gaps in his game and grow into the position. Nothing not to like about this pick. You are rolling the dice on all but a few prospects. Knox is a good bet. 

11 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I remember a fella named Maybin that had mediocre numbers in college.

Wrong. Maybin put up fantastic numbers in his only year as a 19 year old starter. 12 sacks in 13 games. 20 tackles for loss. 3 forced fumbles and 3 PDs. And he didn't even start the first game or two. Those are great numbers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, SCBills said:

Re: Singletary... Perhaps NE was taking him if we didn’t.  They went Damien Harris right after.

I like Singletary but if NE wanted to take him and it takes carries away from Sony Michel I wouldn't get in their way.:thumbsup:   

• Like (+1) 1

I am okay with the pick but having to use 2 picks instead of one hurts. If he doesn't work out it is twice as costly in lost opportunity. Gonna be tough watching the 4th round from the sideline.

A lot of talent still out there, hope they can find a gem in the 5th. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-best-available-2019-nfl-draft-prospects

Best remaining prospects according to pff team of analysts.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Wrong. Maybin put up fantastic numbers in his only year as a 19 year old starter. 12 sacks in 13 games. 20 tackles for loss. 3 forced fumbles and 3 PDs. And he didn't even start the first game or two. Those are great numbers. 

Yeah but weren't many of his sacks against teams like Coastal Carolina and Youngstown State, or similar?

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah but weren't many of his sacks against teams like Coastal Carolina and Youngstown State, or similar?

Yep.   Coastal Carolina (2), Temple (3) ans Syracuse (1) accounted for half of his 2008 season total.

2008 Game Logs

Tackles Def Int Fumbles
Rk Date School   Opponent   Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds TD PD FR Yds TD FF
  13 Games         30 19 49 20.0 12.0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 3
1 2008-08-30 Penn State   Coastal Carolina W 4 1 5 2.0 2.0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
2 2008-09-06 Penn State   Oregon State W 2 1 3 1.0 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3 2008-09-13 Penn State @ Syracuse W 1 1 2 1.0 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 2008-09-20 Penn State   Temple W 5 0 5 3.0 2.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
5 2008-09-27 Penn State   Illinois W 2 5 7 1.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
6 2008-10-04 Penn State @ Purdue W 1 0 1 1.0 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
7 2008-10-11 Penn State @ Wisconsin W 5 1 6 3.5 2.0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 2
8 2008-10-18 Penn State   Michigan W 2 2 4 2.0 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
9 2008-10-25 Penn State @ Ohio State W 1 1 2 1.0 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
10 2008-11-08 Penn State @ Iowa L 1 0 1 1.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
11 2008-11-15 Penn State   Indiana W 2 3 5 1.0 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
12 2008-11-22 Penn State   Michigan State W 1 3 4 1.5 0.0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
13 2009-01-01 Penn State @ Southern California* L 3 1 4 1.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Man, after watching his highlights, it makes me wonder why they didnt use him more... high points the ball, hand catcher, very smooth changing direction, and looks fast/agile. Maybe it’s like when LSU had Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham, Jeremy Hill, and a couple other great players, yet only scored 14 points a game. I was concerned about the pick until I saw him move in the open field. Knox looks to have a LOT of potential. His build and the way he moves and catches reminds me of Zach Ertz. 

Edited by MakeBuffaloGreatAgain
  • Like (+1) 1

Why did a meh college program in turmoil not use their converted walk-on QB turned receiving TE enough?  

Good lesson on why matching college production to pro potential isn't always as easy as checking the box score.  Some programs/systems just don't highlight certain positions or skill sets very well.  See Michael Thomas in Urban Meyer's system as an extreme example.

2 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Why did a meh college program in turmoil not use their converted walk-on QB turned receiving TE enough?  

Good lesson on why matching college production to pro potential isn't always as easy as checking the box score.  Some programs/systems just don't highlight certain positions or skill sets very well.  See Michael Thomas in Urban Meyer's system as an extreme example.

Thomas had 18 tds in his last two years in college. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, akm0404 said:

Averaged something like 3.5 catches for 50 or so yards a game in college.

He does a bit better than that these days.

He had almost 800 yards and averaged like 14 yards per catch.  He wasn’t Michael Thomas of the Saints but he was pretty good with some not great qb play.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/michael-thomas-3.html

35 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I also think the fact that he is a former quarterback helps. Receivers who are former quarterbacks, like Edelman, Hines Ward, Trey Burton, Travis Kelce, Jordan Reed and to a lesser extent David Sills, are just smarter playe because they look at coverages and make pre snap adjustments the same way a quarterback does. They put themselves in the best position for their QBs becuase they understand where they need to be. They aren't just big dumbasses who can run fast....but you do need some of those as well. 

I like the potential in Knox measurables but I see people saying he is "everything you want in a TE prospect"........and I am not sure he's really even a classic receiving TE.

He is stiff as a board............I mean if there is tape on him where he turns his hips I haven't seen it..........he turns his entire body to get around to the ball and that effectively shortens his frame and arms as a target.

The tape measure says he's got the minimum frame for a TE but he looks kinda' Hbacky due to that stiffness.  Weird that he was a QB and doesn't seem to be able to rotate his hips.:lol:  

That will likely limit his catch radius sorta like it does for a guy like Nick O'Leary(Nick has short arms to boot so it's worse but you get the jist).    

That stiff back and core area might make him a stouter blocker though and it looked like Ole Miss liked to use him to lead block some so DiMarco might be out of work soon.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 3