RD 3, Pick 96: TE Dawson Knox, Ole Miss

8 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

He asked me to name a 7th rounder with better production than Dawson Knox. I picked the best one haha.

He put up monster numbers. You're damned sure I'd be happy if we drafted that production. I'm just playing the odds.

Shannon Sharpe played college at Savannah State. Teams draft on the projection of what a player is capable of accomplishing. Sharpe's college performance was against lower level competition, but he projected well enough to get drafted (in the 7th round). Rarely does a 7th round TE draft pick work in a team's favor. Sharpe is the extreme exception. You can't base expectations on rare instances. The draft is not an exact science, that said.....The Bills FO felt the need to grab a guy at a position that fits what they want to do on offense. They see value in Knox. Of course, we all hope it works out!

Given this regime’s already noted ability to turn over rocks and find legit contributors where others have passed (R. Foster maybe most glaring example), I’m still trusting the process and giving them benefit of the doubt; and it does look like this kid has solid tools—I’m really surprised by his 40 speed as such a big dude—love that!!

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Biggest thing for me is that the Bills did a ton of work on Knox predraft and our OC was a longtime TE coach. They see enough in this player that they didn’t want him to go anywhere else. I’m assuming Daboll has a big part of his evaluation. He did ok with another player from a loaded college offense with suspect QB play who didn’t get the ball, Robert Foster.  I’m excited about him. 

Maybe I'm just tired of being negative about this team after watching them be bad and dumb for my entire life (or at least the 20ish years I've watched and understood the game) but I'm gonna try to give them the benefit of the doubt for once. 

The lack of production is concerning of course but the athletic traits are there. They weren't going to use all 10 picks so the trade up is whatever. And as Yolo said they did a ton of homework on him so they must really like something about him. If he flames out, no big deal, try again. 

9 hours ago, MacGyver said:

They did it twice this draft, throwing away picks to move up when they didn't need to. 

Why do the Bills seem to always hire GM's that throw away draft picks? 

Look deeper, like the real MacGyver would. 

Scouting means look for talent and potential.  Anybody can pick players by stats. Not all college stats translate to the pro level.  

Knox has size, speed, talent, and was not utilized playing in a program that had problems.   I’m betting that the Bills graded him as 2 or 3 at TE.  If they wait until the fourth round he ends on the Pats*.  They would not trade two 4’s unless he was in their top 2 or 3.  

As for throwing away picks consider this.  The Bills signed 18 free agents, many to short contracts.  No way they are going to draft 10 players plus acquire the usual cache of URFA’s.  They will still end up drafting 8 players and can only bring so many players to camp.  This training camp will have intense competition at OL, WR, TE, RB, CB, DL, and special teams.   Linebacker depth is my only concern right now. 

Speaking of URFA’s, last year we had Foster (WR) and Wallace (CB) break out.  Talent can be found and developed after the first three rounds.  

Keep the faith.  This is not the Buddy Nix, Tom Modrak, and Doug Whaley show. 

The first 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I dont care what his stat line is as all I see is As or A- for him from people who actually watch the games.  Seems like a good fit at a position of need.  Giddyup

Seems you have anger issues.   The scouts and talking heads love the pick so I guess we will see who is right. 

Did you read his last sentence? :unsure:

Again, I want to state I loved the Oliver pick and liked the Ford one.  But man, trading up for this guy?  Come on with the excuses.  You shouldn’t have to make excuses for a 3rd round TE you trade up for.  If he was so talented, why didn’t they try to get him the ball more?  Especially After the DK injury?  Also, with those 2 receivers, he had a lot of room to operate.  

There will be some TE with good measurables that you could get at the end of the draft.  You could sign a basketball player and convert him.  But we just got another whatever TE. I hope I’m wrong but if Butler goes before we pick again, I will again question this group’s ability to scout receivers.  Safe to say, it’s been questionable at best.

13 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Given this regime’s already noted ability to turn over rocks and find legit contributors where others have passed (R. Foster maybe most glaring example), I’m still trusting the process and giving them benefit of the doubt; and it does look like this kid has solid tools—I’m really surprised by his 40 speed as such a big dude—love that!!

1) Foster was at Alabama, not Bryant & Stattron

2) they cut Foster 

Overall a good TE to roll the dice on. This guy was just not utilized in Ole Miss Offense much. Hear it said he will be a better pro then prospect...  How fast he can adapt to a pro offense will be key. An investment in time at TE, special teamer.

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Don't know if this has been posted. Decent little bit of pre-draft analysis from *spit* Cowboys.com

Good stuff. I would like to see a catch percentage per throw. Did they not use him alot YET he caught them all?

9 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Anyone who thinks that GM's think ANY differently about the board than draftnik fans only needs to read this quote.:lol:

As a fan it felt NECESSARY that they draft a TE in this draft because the depth was so unusual..........there were guys that go a round+ earlier in an average draft and maybe even round 1 in a BAD TE draft.    

The problem IMO is that it's not congruent with the thinking that lead to the Singletary pick............they treated that as a need and ignored the positional value and perhaps the perspective was thrown by the lack of quality in this RB class.    Singletary was my RB1 IMO and I think he'll be a nice RB but it's a BAD draft for RB's.     

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark92 said:

Good lord! Can we take a breath for a minute here.  This draft is not a disaster like many people here are trying to say.  Ed Oliver is the one player pretty much all of us wanted and they got him without trading up.  Cody Ford who was a top 25 prospect in almost all mock drafts fell to them at 38.  Those two picks right there pretty much stamp this draft as an overwhelming success.  Yes a WR would have been nice but TE, CB, DE, LB and RB were also needs.  The bills didn't NEED to draft any position out side of DL which let Beane stick to the board unless a value talent was dropping.  

Oliver and Ford are homerun picks, IMO.  

Where they open themselves up to scrutiny is in the 3rd Round.   They draft a RB, who lacks measurables, and give up both 4ths for a TE who is solely measurables.  

I think it’s fair to question those picks, especially given the uncertainty of our WR unit.  

Replace Singletary with a WR, and I don’t think anyone bats an eyelash at Knox and his insane potential.  .....but the Singletary pick, even with his LeSean McCoy comps, has a lot of people with a bad 3rd Round taste in their mouth.  That bad taste, I think carried over to Knox, because in a vacuum, I’m starting to love the Knox pick.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Again, I want to state I loved the Oliver pick and liked the Ford one.  But man, trading up for this guy?  Come on with the excuses.  You shouldn’t have to make excuses for a 3rd round TE you trade up for.  If he was so talented, why didn’t they try to get him the ball more?  Especially After the DK injury?  Also, with those 2 receivers, he had a lot of room to operate.  

There will be some TE with good measurables that you could get at the end of the draft.  You could sign a basketball player and convert him.  But we just got another whatever TE. I hope I’m wrong but if Butler goes before we pick again, I will again question this group’s ability to scout receivers.  Safe to say, it’s been questionable at best.

2) they cut Foster 

I didn't watch Ole Miss but if they hadn't been stacked at WR with Brown, Metcalf (who played in 7 of their 12 games so it's not like he missed all or even most of the season) and Lodge, I'd agree that Knox looks like a dumb move.  Outside of that, Ta'amu isn't that great and it could be a matter of him preferring to throw to WR's than TE's.  The kid however has what you look for in terms of size and athleticism and he's a good blocker, which has value.

And cutting Foster was the reason he did what he did in the 2nd half.  He obviously impressed no one with his first few games, judging by the fact that he was free for anyone to sign.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Anyone who thinks that GM's think ANY differently about the board than draftnik fans only needs to read this quote.:lol:

As a fan it felt NECESSARY that they draft a TE in this draft because the depth was so unusual..........there were guys that go a round+ earlier in an average draft and maybe even round 1 in a BAD TE draft.    

The problem IMO is that it's not congruent with the thinking that lead to the Singletary pick............they treated that as a need and ignored the positional value and perhaps the perspective was thrown by the lack of quality in this RB class.    Singletary was my RB1 IMO and I think he'll be a nice RB but it's a BAD draft for RB's.    

So you think Singletary was the best RB in the draft?  At the top of the 3rd, that would be a good value, no?  It's not like they have a lot of young stud RB's. 

Edited by Doc

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

I didn't watch Ole Miss but if they hadn't been stacked at WR with Brown, Metcalf (who played in 7 of their 12 games so it's not like he missed all or even most of the season) and Lodge, I'd agree that Knox looks like a dumb move.  Outside of that, Ta'amu isn't that great and it could be a matter of him preferring to throw to WR's than TE's.  The kid however has what you look for in terms of size and athleticism and he's a good blocker, which has value.

And cutting Foster was the reason he did what he did in the 2nd half.  He obviously impressed no one with his first few games, judging by the fact that he was free for anyone to sign.

So you think Singletary was the best RB in the draft?  At the top of the 3rd, that would be a good value, no?  It's not like they have a lot of young stud RB's. 

Fair points Doc and I hope you’re right.  But 0 tds our of a 3rd round TE? After DK gets hurt?  I really wanted a TE but I would have waited until later because there would be a good with good measurables available later.  

https://walterfootball.com/draft2019TE.php

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

2) they cut Foster 

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but, if Tom Brady was so talented why didn't Michigan play him more instead of going with Henson? There are players that show talent and potential that may not have been on full display for four years but observate scouts see attributes that can be used to make their team better.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

RB1 in a crowded group of "meh's"............I could easily see Singletary going 5th or even 6th round in a good RB draft.    

The draft isn't to be treated as a "one off" event IMO but an ongoing process of team building............reaching for need at a position of lesser value like RB catches up to you in subsequent years.     

• Like (+1) 2