RD 3, Pick 96: TE Dawson Knox, Ole Miss

4 hours ago, #34fan said:

For a D-1 TE, 0 TD's in three seasons of football is laughable... And please, please, stop saying he's a good blocker. -He is not.  NFL LB's are going to level this kid.

Another lousy pick from a clueless regime...

Another lousy post from a clueless poster

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

His fluidity in and out of his breaks are rare for a guy his size.  The Athlete is worth a 3rd rd pick.  His lack of production is incredibly concerning for me.  He appears to be a scouting community darling.  At this point it's a complete projection to assume he will be a reliable receiving threat at TE.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm one of those crazy people who reserves judgement until I've seen a guy play in the NFL.

You can definitely see his athleticism though on film. Looks to have good hands, good size.

Foster didn't do much in college but they obviously saw from the tape that he had the right abilities to do more with more of a role and more targets. 

I did laugh when the guys on NFL Network said he had zero TDs in college because I knew a lot of people here would lose their ***** over that. We have Kroft so he can ease into things gradually and increase his time on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The more I read this AM including above .. the more I am warming up to this pick ... also pulled Kittle's college stats .. granted 10 TDs .. but limited catches like Kittle ... and same size ... so one can hope

Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year
School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Iowa         48 737  15.4 10 0 0   0 48 737 15.4 10
*2013 Iowa Big Ten FR UT 3 5 108  21.6 0 0 0   0 5 108 21.6 0
*2014 Iowa Big Ten SO TE 3 1 25 25.0 0 0 0   0 1 25 25.0 0
*2015 Iowa Big Ten JR TE 10 20 290  14.5      6 0 0   0 20 290 14.5 6
*2016 Iowa Big Ten SR TE 9 22 314  14.3 4 0 0   0 22 314 14.3 4
  • Like (+1) 1

Draft a player with elite measurable but low productivity? Regime is clueless. 

Draft a player with elite productivity and low measurables? Regime is clueless. 

Trade up and forfeit draft picks? Regime is clueless. 

Stay put and fall asleep during the draft? Regime is clueless. 

Draft a player at a position of need instead of following your board? Regime is clueless. 

Draft highest rated player available instead of filling a position of need? Regime is clueless.

Lots of silly geese around here imo. 

Edited by akm0404
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

We all wanted a TE and another WR for Josh Allen (in fact after the first two picks some people were upset we hadn’t give him any weapons yet—i.e., DK who obviously plummeted for a reason with many WRs we assumed would go much later than him leapfrogging and by a lot).  

When I saw the Dawson (“Fort”) Knox pick I was initially bummed because I was hoping they’d have moved up for Warring but assuming they wanted to do that the cost most have been too steep (and probably a lot more so with Sternberger) and they clearly must have Knox close on their board or perhaps ahead.

Not knowing much much about Dawson, I decided to check on the other TEs who were still available and who I thought we may have been able wait to the fourth without trading up:  Caleb Smith, Foster Moreau, Isaac Nauta.  When I checked their draft scouting reports (because I don’t profess to be any sort of expert in player personnel) I found that each one of the TEs left after Knox had at least one pretty big deficiency with their game.   Then when I went back and checked “Fort Knox”—I noticed his was clearly the cleanest scouting report (sure, somewhat raw and underused but he has a more complete skill set and certainly a higher ceiling than those who would have been there if we waited until four). 

Though I’m NOT saying any of these reports are the do all, end all, the legit ones do have more insight than many of us do and it’s something that helped me to put the pick in perspective.  

Seems like after Fort Knox the drop off at TE was real. And, BTW, FWIW, CBS graded the Knox pick as an “A” and Sternberger was graded a “B” and his scouting report wasn’t as well-rounded as Knox (Singletary was a B+).  And Drafttek has Knox a mere four OVERALL spots below Sternberger and he's ranked as the next TE after him. 

I’m one who until this offseason lacked faith in the Process but I’m slowly changing my mind.

BTW—does anyone know why Kelvin Harmon has dropped so far—pre-draft I would have liked him in the 3rd.  

Edited by biggerdaddynj

This is a great pick.

He is going to dust 9 of 10 LBs and pound people when needed.

His 1st run at his Pro day was 4.57 .... and his 2nd was 4.51.  Could be a great weapon.

Really good to have dual purpose TEs that don't show your hand.

Good lord! Can we take a breath for a minute here.  This draft is not a disaster like many people here are trying to say.  Ed Oliver is the one player pretty much all of us wanted and they got him without trading up.  Cody Ford who was a top 25 prospect in almost all mock drafts fell to them at 38.  Those two picks right there pretty much stamp this draft as an overwhelming success.  Yes a WR would have been nice but TE, CB, DE, LB and RB were also needs.  The bills didn't NEED to draft any position out side of DL which let Beane stick to the board unless a value talent was dropping.  

Edited by Mark92
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Biggest thing for me is that the Bills did a ton of work on Knox predraft and our OC was a longtime TE coach. They see enough in this player that they didn’t want him to go anywhere else. I’m assuming Daboll has a big part of his evaluation. He did ok with another player from a loaded college offense with suspect QB play who didn’t get the ball, Robert Foster.  I’m excited about him. 

You always make me feel better Yolo!  Thank you!

It’s probably a little unfair to compare Knox to Kittle  seeing how Kittle really exploded this year for San Francisco but there are some similar athletic traits. And TEs like Knox are examples of why you wait until after round 1 to draft them. It is a very unique position (lineman and wr combination) and often guys come out of nowhere in college to become productive NFL players. Knox was generally talked about as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect so to get him at the end of the 3rd was a good value. Based on the history of the position and the fact he was underused at Ole Miss, I would not be surprised in the least if Knox put up similar production to Hockenson in their NFL careers. It is just how this position seems to work. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Biggest thing for me is that the Bills did a ton of work on Knox predraft and our OC was a longtime TE coach. They see enough in this player that they didn’t want him to go anywhere else. I’m assuming Daboll has a big part of his evaluation. He did ok with another player from a loaded college offense with suspect QB play who didn’t get the ball, Robert Foster.  I’m excited about him. 

...great points Yolo....and I think your assumption is dead on......cannot force feed players to your OC (or DC) with the edict to "make it work".....exactly what the egotistical DonoHOLE did with Air Horn Greggy........worked wonders, right?...........

Can't argue with a guy that's nearly 6' 5" 250 and runs a 4.5 40 yard dash. Under utilized at Ole Miss which isn't surprising consider Brown and Metcalf and having a subpar QB that wasn't able to read the field. While the laymen here only have his numbers and his couple of highlights from Youtube, I'm willing to bet the all 22 would should a guy who's open more often than not and his athleticism makes him a serious threat after the catch.

• Like (+1) 1

I dont care what his stat line is as all I see is As or A- for him from people who actually watch the games.  Seems like a good fit at a position of need.  Giddyup

31 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Draft a player with elite measurable but low productivity? Regime is clueless. 

Draft a player with elite productivity and low measurables? Regime is clueless. 

Trade up and forfeit draft picks? Regime is clueless. 

Stay put and fall asleep during the draft? Regime is clueless. 

Draft a player at a position of need instead of following your board? Regime is clueless. 

Draft highest rated player available instead of filling a position of need? Regime is clueless.

Lots of silly geese around here imo. 

Seems you have anger issues.   The scouts and talking heads love the pick so I guess we will see who is right.