RD 3, Pick 96: TE Dawson Knox, Ole Miss

For a guy that constantly says we select best player available, today says quite the contrary. 

There was a run on tight ends, he got scared, and traded up. He did the same thing with the second round pick. I even called it. Taylor and Little got drafted and I texted my son, Beane must be sweating. Boom, two seconds later we trade up 2 freaking spots. I love Cody Ford but definitely did not like how today was handled one bit. 

4 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

For a guy that constantly says we select best player available, today says quite the contrary. 

There was a run on tight ends, he got scared, and traded up. He did the same thing with the second round pick. I even called it. Taylor and Little got drafted and I texted my son, Beane must be sweating. Boom, two seconds later we trade up 2 freaking spots. I love Cody Ford but definitely did not like how today was handled one bit. 

A tackle got taken two picks later by the Broncos who could of easily jumped us if we didn't move up.

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

0 TD's in his entire career at Ole Miss?

That's an interesting player to trade up for...

Metcalf and Brown got most of the targets,and their 3rd WR might also get drafted. Knox will get used more in the NFL. Yes,only like 39 career receptions,but over 600 yards. 6-4,260,all around TE,good combine and film

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think they moved early on Singletary because of the run right before it.

Ford is a talent........but like I said.......he's just a RT/G at best.

We've been down that particular road with lesser OL positional value before..........with both ends of the spectrum...........Andy Levitre and Cyrus Kouandjio.   Andy was terrific......but a one and done because of the contract......and Cyrus was a bust that the Bills took because they were surprised he was still there.   We lost both ways.

If there is potential $15M+ per year value talent......which is to say players at positions like QB/PassRush/LT/WR/CB.......then you are wise to get THOSE when you can.   Those are hard to find in UFA.    Guards and RT's and RB's and TE's........not so difficult.    I think there were some high ceiling guys at more valued positions available.  It's kinda' why Ford slipped in the first place.   RT's don't break games open.    RB's make plays but your ability in the passing game dictates whether you are a contender or not.

Are we sure Ford can't move to LT one day, a year or two from now?

I really don’t understand this aversion to trading up. The whole “We lose draft picks” idea, to me, is a faulty concept. 

At at the beginning of training camp, every team has 90 players. By trading up, a higher percentage of those 90 players are higher draft picks (obvious, but needs to be said). If we keep or trade back, we don’t get more than the 90 players to start. We just end up with a less talented group of 90 football players to choose from. 

When the quantity is limited (capped at 90 to start, 53 on the roster, 46 active, 11 on the field) quality should be the goal. 

6 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I remember a fella named Maybin that had mediocre numbers in college.

That's the kiss of death, poor guy, getting a Maybin comparison and he's still celebrating getting picked.

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't hate this trade up at all. High risk, with high potential reward. I will say, though, if he doesn't work out, I do hope that he sticks around long enough to get a touchdown, even if it's only in the preseason.

Not sure it's high risk at all.

2 hours ago, Georgie said:

Metcalf and Brown got most of the targets,and their 3rd WR might also get drafted. Knox will get used more in the NFL. Yes,only like 39 career receptions,but over 600 yards. 6-4,260,all around TE,good combine and film

Biggest thing for me is that the Bills did a ton of work on Knox predraft and our OC was a longtime TE coach. They see enough in this player that they didn’t want him to go anywhere else. I’m assuming Daboll has a big part of his evaluation. He did ok with another player from a loaded college offense with suspect QB play who didn’t get the ball, Robert Foster.  I’m excited about him. 

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Hmmm top 10 pick vs a 3rd round pick. What is the point in this?

He doesn’t understand that it makes far more sense to gamble in the third round than near the top of the draft.  If this kid lives up to his potential the Bills will have had one heck of a draft.  Three rounds and three starting players, two of whom likely start game #1 of their careers.  That is a very good draft.  

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The issue is the Bills' track record, like every other team in the NFL, is terrible at assessing talent in the draft.

Sheer number of draft picks trumps perceived  "quality" of picks.  

More kicks at the can = more opportunity to land contributors.

Ya and the higher the round the better odds they will be good. By your logic maybe the bills should just trade down every year and collect 15 7th rounders. 

• Like (+1) 1