RD 3, Pick 96: TE Dawson Knox, Ole Miss

1 hour ago, napmaster said:

This kid may end up being really good, but did the Bills really need to trade up to get him?

What was the trade compensation?

Beane said yesterday they would like to trade back up into the second or 3rd and get a guy they had rated high,this is that guy.

9 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

I did read it. Maybe you should choose your words more carefully. You make it sound like anyone could come off the street and be in NFL running back. I reiterate, the notion is a myth. And, it’s not as easy as you say it is to make the adjustment to the pro level even for a running back.  With your revised statement, I will agree with you a little more.With your revised statement, I will agree with you a little more.

Whatever man, read what you want, I revised nothing.

1 hour ago, napmaster said:

This kid may end up being really good, but did the Bills really need to trade up to get him?

What was the trade compensation?

They felt they needed to. This FO and HC have consistently shown they believe in using picks to move around the board and get very specific players that they like. As Bills fans, this is what we should expect they will do . They weren’t going to draft 10 players only to cut half of them in training camp. If they felt certain they would get the player or that the cost was too rich they’d have stayed put. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

Past Beane/McD drafts rounds 1-3 have been pretty impressive.  They get the benefit of the doubt until that changes.

Oliver is a no brainer.  Ford seems like a solid OL pick.  I LOVE Singletary--he's a beast, and it was between him and Montegomery in my book.  Although I would have liked to see Montegomery available to see which one the Bills would have taken. 

Knox seems like a stretch for me, but I'm not a scout or pro personnel guy.  He seems to have tools.  How that translates who knows.  But like I said Beane has earned the benefit of the doubt.  

Funny some were pissed that we took Singletary over Butler, yet no other team took Butler in round 3.  I guess all 32 teams don't know what they are doing.

18 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Beane admitted that is why they took him. They had him rated higher on their board and felt the TE depth was still there, Knox was the last one they had before a big dropoff happened; that was my issue. At that point, I would have sacrificed RB for TE, since RBs are much easier to find with less time required to develop them. Knox is a great athlete, but very very raw.

I'm just bummed because now the Bills can't trade "next year" picks for Clowney:lol:............they gotta' save them to *hopefully* get CeeDee Lamb! :thumbsup:    Gotta' feed Josh Allen playmakers.    It's a bummer that they aren't following the proven successful Rams/Bears/Eagles model for Allen.    Those picks could end up being the opportunity cost of picking a RT and RB in round 2 and 3.     There is kind've a Doug and Rex "off the bus starter" "we got bpa....ahem.....at position of immediate need" quality to McBeanes day 2 picks.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

So I guess this is just one of those "high motor" and "high character" guys?

Averaged a whopping 19.5 receptions and 302.5 yards the past 2 seasons,  with a combined total of 0 TD's his entire college career....

I know stats aren't everything, but nothing screams "this guy won't be here by the time our next pick rolls around, better trade up now!"

Gym Rat

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

Harmon pleaassseeee

????  I'm already ready coming to the notion our front office doesn't value WR at all... we have no young talent to grow with Allen to be his main WR... John Brown & Cole Beasley has been in this league for a few years & nobody is losing sleep facing those two.  We had a few times to take a WR & didn't... why draft a QB if your not going to give him his "Kelly to Reed" "Young to Rice" ect. Smh 

41 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

This notion that the running back position is, as you say, “set and dry“ ( I think you mean cut and dry ) is a total myth that needs to be exposed for what it is.   Good NFL running back’s don’t grow on trees. I like this pic and when they made it. All this guy did was score touchdowns.

And running away from people.  Remember folks, the greatest receiver of all time, Jerry Rice, was clocked at like 4.70.  I don’t remember him getting caught from behind.  

Got a steal with our first two picks.  Next two were right about where they were slotted to go.  All were positions of need.  I would've liked them to address WR or DE before RB, but it makes sense as Gore and Shady aren't growing any younger.  It may be Sheldon and Singletary as our starters in 2020.  Maybe we sign Ansah now that the draft is over. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

It's not only stupid, it's straight up wrong.

We're good at giving away our own draft picks!

You apparently don’t understand the term “giving away”. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Gave up two 4ths and a 5th to get higher graded players. Still have 4 picks. What is the issue?

The issue is the Bills' track record, like every other team in the NFL, is terrible at assessing talent in the draft.

Sheer number of draft picks trumps perceived  "quality" of picks.  

More kicks at the can = more opportunity to land contributors.

29 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The issue is the Bills' track record, like every other team in the NFL, is terrible at assessing talent in the draft.

I think it's harder than this. Some people just improve a lot after they're surrounded by better competition. That doesn't happen over the course of a single training camp and preseason, though, and the Bills don't have enough roster space to give time to 10 draft picks to come good. I think they're better off taking fewer, with a slightly higher upside on average, and giving each of them more of a chance.

46 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Ok Schopp 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For a D-1 TE, 0 TD's in three seasons of football is laughable... And please, please, stop saying he's a good blocker. -He is not.  NFL LB's are going to level this kid.

Another lousy pick from a clueless regime...

Edited by #34fan
  • Haha (+1) 1