RD 3, Pick 96: TE Dawson Knox, Ole Miss

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree.............Singletary was my RB1 in this class but if they came up empty with this RB class it wouldn't have bothered me.     He's just a RB.    You gotta' get those later in the draft.

They got 4 intriguing talents but not totally loving the positional valuation relative to available on Day 2.

Feel like they let the board move them on day 2.............and for a G/RT,  RB and TE..........not prime positons.  

Like I said......some intriguing talents with good ceilings........ but non elite value positions...........which looks kinda' needy and always concerns me on draft day.

I just don't know that they have the talent they need at WR1 and Edge Rusher yet to bypass talent there yet.    Maybe just a bit of cart before the horse.

And I thought the point of signing all of those UFA's should have been to avoid needing to chase runs on THOSE positions in particular.

Hopefully they score and find some diamonds on day 3.:thumbsup:

I think the only guy they really chased was Knox.  

Ford is a monster, and, like Oliver, at a position of need (or at the very least - strongly upgradeable). 

Singletary, they took over WR/TE because of value.   I was confused by the pick, but as someone who’s only “heard of” him.... I’ve gotta admit, his film is filthy.  I had no clue he had that jump cut ability.  

Knox, they definitely panicked for.  Beane even admitted that they knew they had to come out of this Draft with a Tight End and the drop off was steep after him.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And of course we were in a position to draft those players?

Smith & Sterberger we were, we took an RB right before Sternberger went.

I just don't like a 3rd on RB, they are easier to find and can get playing much quicker. TEs take awhile to develop and we took a very very raw prospect who needs a lot of work to develop due to his limited production. The athletic profile is great and I get it.

1 hour ago, napmaster said:

This kid may end up being really good, but did the Bills really need to trade up to get him?

What was the trade compensation?

Yes, they did.

If you listen to Beane's pre draft PC, he essentially explains why they trade up. Very simply, it's if they have a guy graded much higher on the board than everyone else left on their board.

That's the reason we traded up for this guy and for Ford in round 2, who I'd guess we had a 1st round grade on considering we traded up 2 spots.

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Shut up...

Seriously?

Do you have a link?

18 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Link?

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Actually that is not what I asked....I am trying to figure out if you are serious....I meant IN THIS DRAFT IN THAT ROUND

Ok lol you weren't clear. You just asked "such as" when I referred in the past tense to 7th rounders with good production.

Idk who's a 7th rounder man it hasn't happened yet. There's like 100+ TEs with more yards. How about Kaden Smith idk.

I DON'T CARE we made the pick. I understand why. I see his upside. It would be nice if he had more to make me more sure about the pick that's all. I'm unsure. I don't like being unsure.. at least as unsure as you can possibly be with his production.

12 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Depending on who did the timing, his pro day results ranged for 4.51 to 4.58, closer to Noah Fant range than Hockenson range.  His blocking is probably closer to Hockenson than Fant.  

So if that 40 time number is correct... holy crap!!!

His size is Hock-like. He's played QB for years, which gives him an added edge. And a 4.51? 

Considering the 2 WRs he was playing between, being new to the position, and a QB who isn't exactly all-world, it seems understandable that his production is so low.

Hard to call a 3rd rounder a Diamond in the Rough, but definitely gotta keep an eye on this guy.

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Silly fans thinking they know what they are talking about. Every year they are proven wrong by player after player, and still they criticize every pick GM's make.

It's fun to speculate. That's all it is. 

Now I know some of y'all went nuts with the wrong Josh right Josh nonsense but this is just armchair GMing. It's fun. Harmless. At the end of the day I'm obviously pulling for these guys. Every year GMs are proven wrong and wrong as well it's a crapshoot. That's what makes it fun to speculate on.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

RB is pretty set and dry, you find a hole and run through it, either it's to the left/right or middle and he will most likely be in on packages and as a return guy in year 1 learning from 2 of the best in the game. I'm not ragging on you because we have different views but your reasoning just doesn't make much sense to me.

This notion that the running back position is, as you say, “set and dry“ ( I think you mean cut and dry ) is a total myth that needs to be exposed for what it is.   Good NFL running back’s don’t grow on trees. I like this pic and when they made it. All this guy did was score touchdowns.

5 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Ok lol you weren't clear. You just asked "such as" when I referred in the past tense to 7th rounders with good production.

Idk who's a 7th rounder man it hasn't happened yet. There's like 100+ TEs with more yards. How about Kaden Smith idk.

I DON'T CARE we made the pick. I understand why. I see his upside. It would be nice if he had more to make me more sure about the pick that's all. I'm unsure. I don't like being unsure.. at least as unsure as you can possibly be with his production.

Did you say you dont like being unsure about a draft pick?  THEY COULD ALL BE BUSTS ITS THE DRAFT

24 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And I am willing to bet everyone here dogging this pick has never watched ONE Ole Miss football game this year. 

They were bad! I just watch Big12

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Did you say you dont like being unsure about a draft pick?  THEY COULD ALL BE BUSTS ITS THE DRAFT

I know. I'm more unsure about this guy than most.. what do you want from me lol. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I think the only guy they really chased was Knox.  

Ford is a monster, and, like Oliver, at a position of need (or at the very least - strongly upgradeable). 

Singletary, they took over WR/TE because of value.   I was confused by the pick, but as someone who’s only “heard of” him.... I’ve gotta admit, his film is filthy.  I had no clue he had that jump cut ability.  

Knox, they definitely panicked for.  Beane even admitted that they knew they had to come out of this Draft with a Tight End and the drop off was steep after him.  

I think they moved early on Singletary because of the run right before it.

Ford is a talent........but like I said.......he's just a RT/G at best.

We've been down that particular road with lesser OL positional value before..........with both ends of the spectrum...........Andy Levitre and Cyrus Kouandjio.   Andy was terrific......but a one and done because of the contract......and Cyrus was a bust that the Bills took because they were surprised he was still there.   We lost both ways.

If there is potential $15M+ per year value talent......which is to say players at positions like QB/PassRush/LT/WR/CB.......then you are wise to get THOSE when you can.   Those are hard to find in UFA.    Guards and RT's and RB's and TE's........not so difficult.    I think there were some high ceiling guys at more valued positions available.  It's kinda' why Ford slipped in the first place.   RT's don't break games open.    RB's make plays but your ability in the passing game dictates whether you are a contender or not.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

His size is Hock-like. He's played QB for years, which gives him an added edge. And a 4.51? 

Considering the 2 WRs he was playing between, being new to the position, and a QB who isn't exactly all-world, it seems understandable that his production is so low.

Hard to call a 3rd rounder a Diamond in the Rough, but definitely gotta keep an eye on this guy.

4 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

This notion that the running back position is, as you say, “set and dry“ ( I think you mean cut and dry ) is a total myth that needs to be exposed for what it is.   Good NFL running back’s don’t grow on trees. I like this pic and when they made it. All this guy did was score touchdowns.

You need to read all of what I wrote, nowhere did i say RB grows on trees, I said that the learning curve is "set and dry" as far as assignments, you either run to the right, left or middle, the learning curve between WR and RB is much easier for a RB.

5 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

It's fun to speculate. That's all it is. 

Now I know some of y'all went nuts with the wrong Josh right Josh nonsense but this is just armchair GMing. It's fun. Harmless. At the end of the day I'm obviously pulling for these guys. Every year GMs are proven wrong and wrong as well it's a crapshoot. That's what makes it fun to speculate on.

Absolutely, but lots of fans are adamant they are right and make strong opinions based on no knowledge except for a cursory glance at stats or a single highlight reel.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

You need to read all of what I wrote, nowhere did i say RB grows on trees, I said that the learning curve is "set and dry" as far as assignments, you either run to the right, left or middle, the learning curve between WR and RB is much easier for a RB.

I did read it. Maybe you should choose your words more carefully. You make it sound like anyone could come off the street and be in NFL running back. I reiterate, the notion is a myth. And, it’s not as easy as you say it is to make the adjustment to the pro level even for a running back.  With your revised statement, I will agree with you a little more.With your revised statement, I will agree with you a little more.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think they moved early on Singletary because of the run right before it.

Beane admitted that is why they took him. They had him rated higher on their board and felt the TE depth was still there, Knox was the last one they had before a big dropoff happened; that was my issue. At that point, I would have sacrificed RB for TE, since RBs are much easier to find with less time required to develop them. Knox is a great athlete, but very very raw.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Absolutely, but lots of fans are adamant they are right and make strong opinions based on no knowledge except for a cursory glance at stats or a single highlight reel.

Sure. I mean I'll admit I don't know Jack and am judging on simple probabilities I've formed in my head. We should all know it's a crapshoot for everyone involved. I'm all for rooting for the guy when he gets drafted. However I just dislike the feeling some want to take the moral high ground because they feel great about what the Bills pick ya know? I have my opinion and move on.

Now I understand the annoyance when those desperately want to be right are in fact actively rooting against someone just to look smart. But that's not the case for those of us that want to come out with a good draft lol. Post draft opinions are pretty much a clean slate come week 5.

Go Bills!

46 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Name the legit receiving threats we are missing out on

Crickets lol

Even though he was Undrafted, Knox reminds me of the same type situation that Foster was in , as far as not having big numbers and not being the first option on his team.

18 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I guess he also has a 4.57 from his Ole Miss pro day.