RD 3, Pick 96: TE Dawson Knox, Ole Miss

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Anthony Nelson.

See, my thinking is that if it's not a guy (at DE specifically) with legitimate starter potential, like a hidden gem or a guy who fell for whatever reasons, then he won't make the 53-man team. 

The Bills have a logjam of back-of-the-rotation DEs right now. Guys who can play, but shouldn't necessarily start. Difficult room to break into, though, for a later pick. 4 or 5 legitimate NFL rotation-level players ahead of him.

But I don't know much about Nelson, to be honest. Maybe he's got ability. 

I fancy another TE, LB, S, and/or CB moving forward. I guess a flyer on a plummeting WR makes sense, too.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

All I know is that there are going to be a inordinate amount of Bills fans that are going to say, without ever seeing these two players, that Singletarys ridiculous amount of touchdowns means and proves nothing, and Knox's nary a touchdown means and proves everything and he sucks. 

Bingo!

When I started reading this thread I was upset that I missed the pick, and they chose an irrelevant mediocre guy I'd never heard of.  After reviewing the comments and supporting data, it looks like a great pick to me.  But then again, I am a car guy in Missouri who reads up on this stuff every day, as opposed to a group of professional scouts who spend their lives studying these players.  I know nothing.  Never heard of Robert Foster, Levi Jones, Matt Milano, Tredavious, Siran Neal, bunch of players. 

I have heard of Devin Singletary.  I watched some highlights of him and was hoping they'd choose him.  I really wanted Ed Oliver, and I'm glad they got him.  Cody Ford was picked in most mocks anywhere from #12 to #25.  He's a mauler.  Great pick.

I trust these guys more than you guys.  

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

See, my thinking is that if it's not a guy (at DE specifically) with legitimate starter potential, like a hidden gem or a guy who fell for whatever reasons, then he won't make the 53-man team. 

The Bills have a logjam of back-of-the-rotation DEs right now. Guys who can play, but shouldn't necessarily start. Difficult room to break into, though, for a later pick. 4 or 5 legitimate NFL rotation-level players ahead of him.

But I don't know much about Nelson, to be honest. Maybe he's got ability. 

I fancy another TE, LB, S, and/or CB moving forward. I guess a flyer on a plummeting WR makes sense, too.

Nelson had some flashes and is worth a shot but who knows how these later round picks will do or any pick for that matter.

27 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Stop stat reading.. my goodness.. The game is played on the field not in stat sheets. 

The guy we’re getting isn’t the guy on the stat page. He’s fast, can block and catch, if he’s utilized in the game plan he can be a HUGE weapon. 

Funny how few people understand this.  This should be pinned on the home page.

37 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’m going to doubt his ability based on his name alone. Doesn’t sound like a guy who’s jersey you’ll be buying.

I had a Bills coat handed down to me with "Knox" on back when I went off to college in 1979.  I was told it was from a friend of Chuck Knox and since he and his friend had other signed stuff from him (they did work on his house) I believed him.

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

All I know is that there are going to be a inordinate amount of Bills fans that are going to say, without ever seeing these two players, that Singletarys ridiculous amount of touchdowns means and proves nothing, and Knox's nary a touchdown means and proves everything and he sucks. 

It's all well and good that they do.

What I don't get is why people reply to the obvious trolling or enjoyment of biatching.

Do Not Feed.

Knox is fine with me.  Singletary made me scratch my head but I never heard of the guy.

The Bills did have a Workout with him AND went to his Pro Day so I will leave it to them.

He sure runs with crazy quick changes.

3 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I somewhat agree but some of the best tight ends in the NFL had similar production to Knox in college, ei Jimmy Graham, George Kittle.

Yeah I'm sure TE is certainly a position you have to project more than most due to circumstance. Jimmy Graham was a special case being a basketball player switching late like Antonio Gates.

Heck i'd draft undersized centers on the NBA bubble with zero football numbers. Those guys have the skills. He is similar to George Kittle tho I see that.

Another part of the reason is exactly because the TE routes are so dependent on QB preference we don't know if JA gives a stud TE Jimmy Graham at NO numbers or Jimmy Graham at GB numbers. Of course we won't know until we know eh?

Never heard of him , any ole miss fan’s on here ? Or anyone has any info on him besides the one ( 0- TD’s ) 

I hope? he can run/catch and NOT mainly for blocking 

Edited by Putin

14 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Meh. There were better TEs to take instead of the RB and that would be better for Allen. It's a QB league. I get the age on the RBs, but the TEs taken between us and honestly a shot in the dark with someone with very limited production is underwhelming.

I like the measurables of both, but it sure sounds like Beane panicked with a RB run, made a move and missed on the TEs. Better move would have been TE IMO and then worry about RB (which are a dime a dozen, whereas TEs aren't) JMO

I can't argue that fact that Beane panicked because I don't know but only 4 RB's were taken before Buffalo selected so there were many to choose from which has me thinking that he was the best player on the board.

And to me Knox is all about potential, he runs fast, decent but not elite blocker, can get open in space, has decent hands and his 18.9 YPC average is impressive. He's a project but after round 2 most GM's state they draft for need and they obviously liked him alot to give up those 4th rounders.

11 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Anytime McDermott realizes they need to draft pass catchers for the QB they took makes me happy.  And I'll be convinced he uses them when he lets Allen throw 25-35 times a game, especially with all that they've put into the OL.  

Cause if he continues trying predominantly to run the ball and playing strong defense it ain't gonna end well for McCoach.  

I believe this was the guy that someone said they wanted.

If the draft ended today I would be content.  I expect a trade into the fourth and they will have 5 or 6 players like I said they would.  The only disappointing thing for me is they didnt trade up for D.K. but maybe Im getting greedy there.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

48 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

seems fair based on the draft pick value chart.

#112 (70pts) + #131 (41pts) for #96 (116pt)

Plus this is a DEEP roster , so I have no problem with trading up. Especially for a player that should see significant playing time . Wouldn't mind seeing a trade up tmrw.

• Like (+1) 2