RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

3 hours ago, Toesy said:

I don't know if the guy can play NFL football but the main positive is that they definitely didn't draft the guy for need-this makes 5 RBs counting Murphy who is pretty good IMO-so obviously the Bills went with their BPA-as Beane says they do.

So drafting a guy that they didn’t need and that may or may not be able to play NFL football is a positive? Interesting take.

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I see no reason that he can’t be very effective on short swing passes or screens.  Those plays generally yield easy catches and his run skills will take over after the catch.

No reason at all except he only caught 6 passes all of last year. Maybe he just wasn't asked to do it idk. But sure if he could do that and if he could flat out fly (which he can't) he'd be D. Sproles and I'd be more than fine with that. I don't hate the pick. Kid looks to me like a good football player. I do wonder if he was the BPA when they picked him tho. But the Bills know more than me.

I don't know anything about Singletary but from looking at the pick it seems as though we may have gotten jumped by the the Bears to take Montgomery. Even the Rams taking Henderson. 

Though we wasted no time making the pick so maybe he was the guy we wanted. Or just the next RB on the board. 

We'll see. The tape seems good. In Beane I trust. Oliver and Ford 1-2 makes this draft an A for me. 

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think Shady is gone, unfortunately

Beane already quashed that. I think it's more likely they cut Dimarco and basically give Gore his spot.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

RBs drafted in the 3rd Round are expected to play, not learn for a year.... especially on teams that have needs elsewhere.   

I don't know why everyone assumes he's redshirting this year. My bet is he competes with Yeldon for the #2 spot. Shady is getting up there and tends to miss a couple games every year. They will need fresh legs this season .

This is the type of pick, where the same people complaining, would be flipping out if our backs play poorly and he flourished elsewhere.

The Bills did get suckered in by the run on backs, but they landed arguably the most elusive back in the class.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Scribo linked to this early.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2019-running-back-rankings-lets-break-down-skills-of-top-rbs-from-elusiveness-to-contact-balance/

does not not mean he is poor receiver nd please see my more recent above.  He was the worst rated among that group of rookies.  Respectfully, I’m not sure he makes a great long armed target. 

Their reasoning is that he didn't have a lot of receptions in college. It has nothing to do with his skill set, for whatever reason that offense just didn't like to use him in the passing game. Doesn't sound like he has any issues catching the ball. I'm not expecting him to have a big catch radius but he's shifty in the open field.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Beane already quashed that. I think it's more likely they cut Dimarco and basically give Gore his spot.

I don't know why everyone assumes he's redshirting this year. My bet is he competes with Yeldon for the #2 spot. Shady is getting up there and tends to miss a couple games every year. They will need fresh legs this season .

Right. No reason whatsover to redshirt a running back. If Singletary can ball, he'll ball right out of the chute.

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Their reasoning is that he didn't have a lot of receptions in college. It has nothing to do with his skill set, for whatever reason that offense just didn't like to use him in the passing game. Doesn't sound like he has any issues catching the ball. I'm not expecting him to have a big catch radius but he's shifty in the open field.

He was credited with 4 drops on 10 targets last season...

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Happy, I hear you, buddy...but, please I just want to refocus on the fact and my point that I don’t think that means a Shady is done.

7 hours ago, Magox said:

Maybe they believe Singletary has the makings of being a good starting RB in the league. Maybe they believe he will be a better pro than Ridley.  If that's what their evaluation shows which I would assume it does, then you trust the board that you drew up.

It's really just a minor complaint in the whole scheme of things but I didn't even think they would consider upgrading the RB position until next year.  I just wish Beane would've called me and I would've told him to take the best WR on the board.  That's all. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Emmitt was a better actor than OJ or Brown and never got in movies.

I beg to differ. OJ should of won an Oscar for his role in Naked Gun

Interesting pick, certainly an interesting point in the draft.

Beane is putting himself out there with this one.

He knows this player better than I do, so I hope he's git this one down.

I love getting a rookie RB in the room with Shady and Gore. Who better to learn from?

• Like (+1) 1