RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

But we will certainly have a right to HATE taking him at 74 if he ISN'T a productive player. 3rd round running backs are expected to be relatively productive right out of the gate. I prefer your scenario, but time will tell. I have my doubts about Singletary. Love his backstory. Love his ability to get into the EZ. Very concerned about his size/speed ratio.

read that back to yourself my friend

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, aristocrat said:

thurman still ran a 4.47 40. singletary ran a 4.66.  i hope he's a success but speed seems to be pretty key for rbs in the league. again, how many rbs do you know that had a slower 40?

He’s in the same ballpark as Alfred Morris and Arian Foster. Obviously different skill sets, but success at that speed isn’t impossible. 

18 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

He’s in the same ballpark as Alfred Morris and Arian Foster. Obviously different skill sets, but success at that speed isn’t impossible. 

You know the argument coming right ?

Game speed.

Knowing when to accelerate and how to turn a corner. Seeing the field break down as he hits the line of scrimmage.

Getting small  when moving through the big uglies is underrated btw

On 7/22/2019 at 1:07 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It's amazing to me how folks continue to doubt Beane, and trust the other talking heads WRT where players are drafted.  Why people automatically assume that they "reached" for Singletary based on draft rankings created outside of OBD is dumb, IMO.  Beane and his crew had their draft board.  They felt they got good value where Devin was drafted.  Who are we to question/doubt that?

I'm not questioning the pick but we are allowed to have questions. So far it seems Beane has put together a good roster but to say we can't have doubts is wrong

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

I'm not questioning the pick but we are allowed to have questions. So far it seems Beane has put together a good roster but to say we can't have doubts is wrong

Human nature to ask questions

On 7/22/2019 at 8:13 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Here we go....."really something in the open field." Tell me, how many players are bad in the open field? :huh: "Space" was the word that was frequently used here. Spiller was said to be "good in space." In reality, the people who drafted him at #9 were in outer space.

And as far as pure game speed, really? The fastest ever? There are dozens who were faster and thousands who were better players.

He was not going to be at or near the "top" at anything except the unspeakably horrid waste of a draft pick list but of course, this is jmo.

Don’t even bother Bill. The horse is dead. The idiots that still think CJ Spiller was or could have been great should just end it now. They are useless in life. If they are stupid enough to think Spiller was good, they don’t deserve to suck the air our lungs need. 

27 minutes ago, mrags said:

Don’t even bother Bill. The horse is dead. The idiots that still think CJ Spiller was or could have been great should just end it now. They are useless in life. If they are stupid enough to think Spiller was good, they don’t deserve to suck the air our lungs need. 

I wonder if he could have been better if used in a different way I dont know.....I do know that running Spiller inside was no bueno....just could not do it

31 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I wonder if he could have been better if used in a different way I dont know.....I do know that running Spiller inside was no bueno....just could not do it

Well. That’s kind of what running backs in the nfl are supposed to excel at. And when they are not good they get cut and don’t have a career. Kind of like.... I don’t know.....Spiller 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Pff apparently loves this kid. Listening to wgr and they have a metric of forced missed tackles as the best way to predict rbs success from college to pros and then in the pros. Devin by their stats is gonna be good 

Thats the college stat that made Kareem Hunt so good as well ??

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

You know the argument coming right ?

Game speed.

Knowing when to accelerate and how to turn a corner. Seeing the field break down as he hits the line of scrimmage.

Getting small  when moving through the big uglies is underrated btw

One could debate that, but I’m failing to see the argument... There might not be one at all after we see the kid in pads at SJF. ?‍♂️. We just don’t know until we see him live at this level of competition. All I know is that he did a damn good job of dodging guys in the backfield against Oklahoma, but didn’t time well in shorts. Heck, Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.6 iirc. Some dudes are gamers.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Pff apparently loves this kid. Listening to wgr and they have a metric of forced missed tackles as the best way to predict rbs success from college to pros and then in the pros. Devin by their stats is gonna be good 

Makes sense. You aren't out running NFL defenses for a living. May pop a big play every now and then with super speed, especially if you are already in a top offense (like KC last year), but the majority of these guys are pounding away and missed tackles moves the chains. 

19 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I hope he works on his game as a receiver.

He wasn't used much in that capacity in college.

It’s my understanding that the Bills focused on receiving exclusively when they put him through a pre draft workout down in Florida.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

It’s my understanding that the Bills focused on receiving exclusively when they put him through a pre draft workout down in Florida.

And to contradict my own point...................

Thurman Thomas wasn't much a receiver coming out of college either.

?

19 hours ago, aristocrat said:

This is all PFF metrics; 3rd row down is Singletary

sLQU8Ws.0.png