RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He may have had a disappointing career overall, but his 2012 season has arguably been the best season by a Bills RB since 1992. 6 ypc, 10.3 ypr, over 1700 yards from scrimmage. Let’s not forget that.

Right?

He was also outstanding in the back half of 2011 when Fred was hurt.

People tend to dismiss entire seasons of great play if they want to criticize a player.

It's weird.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

30 Spots higher?  That means they had him going #2 in the second round?

A way undersized slow scat back from a tier 2 college?

I think 74-30 = 44.  So the Bills likely had a mid-2nd round grade on Singletary.

You description of Singletary as a player also leaves a bit to be desired.  There are many NFL experts I've heard who believe he has a chance to be very good in the NFL, and it was a shrewd move by Buffalo to get a young, talented guy in the locker room to feed off of the wisdom of guys like Shady and Gore.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I think 74-30 = 44.  So the Bills likely had a mid-2nd round grade on Singletary.

You description of Singletary as a player also leaves a bit to be desired.  There are many NFL experts I've heard who believe he has a chance to be very good in the NFL, and it was a shrewd move by Buffalo to get a young, talented guy in the locker room to feed off of the wisdom of guys like Shady and Gore.

Agreed 110%, buffalo needed to get a young back in here to learn from the Shady and Gore. However, not in the third.

I am actually a Singletary fan 100%. Was drafted too highly

1 minute ago, eball said:

LOL, and i almost good a college degree in Math, you are correct, my mistake still that is incredibly high.

I hope he is a great player I just have my doubts.  Here is one "scout" I have a lot of respect for, thinks he was a 5th rounder.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/devin-singletary?id=32195349-4e18-6919-d1e6-003f4632ba87

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Agreed 110%, buffalo needed to get a young back in here to learn from the Shady and Gore. However, not in the third.

I am actually a Singletary fan 100%. Was drafted too highly

After the first round, I think people get WAY too caught up in where a guy was drafted.  If Singletary becomes a productive player nobody will ever care that he was drafted at #74 instead of #94.  Nobody.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

After the first round, I think people get WAY too caught up in where a guy was drafted.  If Singletary becomes a productive player nobody will ever care that he was drafted at #74 instead of #94.  Nobody.

Strongly disagree, especially in this past class where a lot of people felt the talent ran through the third round (for some positions).

And of course people should care, what makes a good general manager is finding talent all over the draft. The ideology that as long as they are successful no one will care, is short sighted. It absolutely changes the dynamic.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Strongly disagree, especially in this past class where a lot of people felt the talent ran through the third round (for some positions).

And of course people should care, what makes a good general manager is finding talent all over the draft. The ideology that as long as they are successful no one will care, is short sighted. It absolutely changes the dynamic.

The Bills could wind up with four starters through the first three rounds of this draft (Oliver, Ford, Singletary, Knox).  You are speaking as though it was a foregone conclusion Singletary would be around later.  You are also implying I don't care if Beane "reaches" for players...I don't think he did in this situation and if Singletary proves to be an above-average RB my point will be proven.  The point remains, however, that fans in particular get way too "jacked up" over where a guy was drafted before they have any idea the sort of player he will be in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's amazing to me how folks continue to doubt Beane, and trust the other talking heads WRT where players are drafted.  Why people automatically assume that they "reached" for Singletary based on draft rankings created outside of OBD is dumb, IMO.  Beane and his crew had their draft board.  They felt they got good value where Devin was drafted.  Who are we to question/doubt that?

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Right?

He was also outstanding in the back half of 2011 when Fred was hurt.

People tend to dismiss entire seasons of great play if they want to criticize a player.

It's weird.

Good point. In the final five games of that season, he had 446 yards, 5.2 ypc, 89 ypg, 27 receptions for 205 yards (7.6 ypr) and 5 TDs.  That prorates over 16 games to 1427 rushing yards, 86 receptions for 656 yards, 2083 yards from scrimmage, and 16 TDs. 

Anyway, for a season and third, he performed like a truly elite player. It all went downhill when Marrone and Hackett put him in an offense that minimized his manifest skill set.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Good point. In the final five games of that season, he had 446 yards, 5.2 ypc, 89 ypg, 27 receptions for 205 yards (7.6 ypr) and 5 TDs.  That prorates over 16 games to 1427 rushing yards, 86 receptions for 656 yards, 2083 yards from scrimmage, and 16 TDs. 

Anyway, for a season and third, he performed like a truly elite player. It all went downhill when Marrone and Hackett put him in an offense that minimized his manifest skill set.

Yep.

And to make matters worse: that offense caused him to take a pounding from which he never recovered.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Kinda highlights the need for coordination between the GM and coaching staff, doesn't it?  Also really places a spotlight on Hackett's (and by association, Marrone's) incompetence.  The selection of Spiller may not have been what was best for the Bills at the time but Gailey knew how to maximize his usefulness.

Makes me feel good about the current level of communication between Beane and the coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It's amazing to me how folks continue to doubt Beane, and trust the other talking heads WRT where players are drafted.  Why people automatically assume that they "reached" for Singletary based on draft rankings created outside of OBD is dumb, IMO.  Beane and his crew had their draft board.  They felt they got good value where Devin was drafted.  Who are we to question/doubt that?

the issue i have with devon is the speed. he'd have the slowest 40 time of any starting rb in the league.can you think of a starter who had a slower 40?  if he's gonna be small he better be fast.  

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

the issue i have with devon is the speed. he'd have the slowest 40 time of any starting rb in the league.can you think of a starter who had a slower 40?  if he's gonna be small he better be fast.  

I think this is a baseless criticism.  How many "breakaway" TDs are there in the NFL by RBs?  The key stat for explosiveness is always # of 20+ yard runs.  Singletary has the quickness and short-area speed necessary to do everything needed but break an 80-yarder.

Was Thurman fast?  Hell no he wasn't.

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I think this is a baseless criticism.  How many "breakaway" TDs are there in the NFL by RBs?  The key stat for explosiveness is always # of 20+ yard runs.  Singletary has the quickness and short-area speed necessary to do everything needed but break an 80-yarder.

Was Thurman fast?  Hell no he wasn't.

thurman still ran a 4.47 40. singletary ran a 4.66.  i hope he's a success but speed seems to be pretty key for rbs in the league. again, how many rbs do you know that had a slower 40?

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Emmitt Smith?  He ran a 4.7 at the combine.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/02/28/nfl-analyst-cowboys-great-emmitt-smith-shows-combine-metric-overrated-rbs

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

30 Spots higher?  That means they had him going #2 in the second round?

A way undersized slow scat back from a tier 2 college?

First of all....his physical biuld (low to the ground) allows for him to be successful without being a huge back......

You dont have those kind of carries in college and be a "scat back" if that was the case he would not be durable enough for the amount of work he did in college

Third....so you think talent at RB cannot come from a "tier 2 college"?

His instincts are what will do it for him if he is successful at the NFL level.....as a 3rd round pick ppl REALLY shouldnt be complaining or downgrding the pick.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/nfl-combine-results.cgi?request=1&year_min=2001&year_max=2019&pos[]=RB&show=all&order_by=year_id

Here's the list. There's a bunch of guys who have been at least moderately successful. James Conner (4.65) and Kareem Hunt (4.62) being most notable. 

Speed and size are why he fell though, so yeah it's an issue for him. 

6 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

look up his pro day where he ran a 4.52

Still not blazing speed by your criteria.  Singletary ran a 4.66 at the combine.  Is 14 hundredths of a second that big of a difference for a RB?  I think Singletary’s style is similar to Emmitt’s in many ways, actually.