RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:55 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Heard something interesting yesterday. The Bills had Singletary ranked 30 spots higher than the next available player when they selected him. This was an absolute no-brainer to them. 

If CJ Spiller would have had the vision and instincts that Singletary has he would have been an immensely better player. Those are attributes that as a back you either have it or you don't. An argument can be made that Spiller was improperly used. But the primary reason for his lackluster career, especially compared to his prolific college career, is his not having a feel for the game. In his case his intangibles undercut his measurables. 

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

If CJ Spiller would have had the vision and instincts that Singletary has he would have been an immensely better player. Those are attributes that as a back you either have it or you don't. An argument can be made that Spiller was improperly used. But the primary reason for his lackluster career, especially compared to his prolific college career, is his not having a feel for the game. In his case his intangibles undercut his measurables. 

Well said 

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

Spiller didn't have the moves and elusiveness behind the LOS but in the open field he was really something-I think maybe some coach could have made him a top RB/WR hybrid-IMO he was the fastest RB-pure game speed-ever.  

3 hours ago, Toesy said:

Spiller didn't have the moves and elusiveness behind the LOS but in the open field he was really something-I think maybe some coach could have made him a top RB/WR hybrid-IMO he was the fastest RB-pure game speed-ever.  

No one is questioning Spiller's speed and athleticism. He was an exceptional athlete. That's acknowledged. But if a back doesn't have the instincts to hit the right hole or adjust to the line play then as a back then he is not going to be successful. It must be pointed out that Spiller not only struggled with the Bills under their coaches but he also struggled with other teams under their coaches. He was a great college player but a failure as a pro because he lacked the intangibles and running instinct that Singletary possesses. 

1033941924.jpg.0.jpg

Devin Singletary was Buffalo Bills’ biggest 2019 NFL Draft reach

The Bills went running back earlier than they needed in an otherwise sterling draft

So what’s wrong with Buffalo selecting Florida Atlantic running back Devin Singletary, a player who averaged 1,429 yards on 238 carries, an average of six yards per carry, over the course of his collegiate career? The Bills spent an early third-round pick on a player with average-at-best athleticism for his position while there were other players at positions of need on the board that many analysts graded higher overall.

Admittedly, this is nit-picking. Singletary could very well go on to have an excellent career, and he could contribute in a Bills’ backfield that looks quite crowded now, with the aforementioned veterans combining with T.J. Yeldon and Singletary to make for a strong four-way competition for time and touches.

The argument could be made that it’s actually Knox, not Singletary, that was the biggest reach. Given that Singletary was selected earlier at a position that has much less value in the modern NFL, I’m inclined to go with him over the athletic tight end.

It was that pick that set up the chain of events where a trade-up for Knox occurred, as well, for even if the Bills didn’t take Singletary, they had a solid option in Sternberger available to them.

They could then have made the trade that they did to move up the board to select an edge rusher, which would have been a better choice than a running back at that time.

Judging value in the immediate aftermath of a draft is always a difficult, if not impossible, task. In a draft where general manager Brandon Beane and company did so much right, this was their one minor misstep.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/6/2019 at 9:59 AM, Toesy said:

When you say "some coach" I automatically think Andy Reid.

On 5/5/2019 at 1:47 PM, Mat68 said:

In a Spiller type of carry count he could be very dynamic.  I dont think he will be a 25 to 30 carry guy in the NFL.  In today's game that isnt needed.  15 to 20 touches in a Tarik Cohen or Alvin Kamara type role makes his selection make alot more sense.  

Well, I'm curious if he can catch. If he can catch I think he can get 20-30 touches and be a dynamic threat for us.

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Well, I'm curious if he can catch. If he can catch I think he can get 20-30 touches and be a dynamic threat for us.

That's the question.  If he cant catch he is strictly a replacement for McCoy/Gore.  If he can, Buffalo may have found a steal.

• Like (+1) 1

The kid has as much heart as Travis Henry when he ran off the field at the half in his flack jacket after scoring in excruciating pain. Hes playing for his big brother's shared dream.  I believe we have another Thurmond!  Remember how many games HE WON with his catches when everyone was covered up?  Sit back and enjoy the Devin Train.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

1033941924.jpg.0.jpg

Devin Singletary was Buffalo Bills’ biggest 2019 NFL Draft reach

The Bills went running back earlier than they needed in an otherwise sterling draft

So what’s wrong with Buffalo selecting Florida Atlantic running back Devin Singletary, a player who averaged 1,429 yards on 238 carries, an average of six yards per carry, over the course of his collegiate career? The Bills spent an early third-round pick on a player with average-at-best athleticism for his position while there were other players at positions of need on the board that many analysts graded higher overall.

Admittedly, this is nit-picking. Singletary could very well go on to have an excellent career, and he could contribute in a Bills’ backfield that looks quite crowded now, with the aforementioned veterans combining with T.J. Yeldon and Singletary to make for a strong four-way competition for time and touches.

The argument could be made that it’s actually Knox, not Singletary, that was the biggest reach. Given that Singletary was selected earlier at a position that has much less value in the modern NFL, I’m inclined to go with him over the athletic tight end.

It was that pick that set up the chain of events where a trade-up for Knox occurred, as well, for even if the Bills didn’t take Singletary, they had a solid option in Sternberger available to them.

They could then have made the trade that they did to move up the board to select an edge rusher, which would have been a better choice than a running back at that time.

Judging value in the immediate aftermath of a draft is always a difficult, if not impossible, task. In a draft where general manager Brandon Beane and company did so much right, this was their one minor misstep.

And when this guy is wrong he will move onto his next prediction with no lamentation at all.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And when this guy is wrong he will move onto his next prediction with no lamentation at all.....

If you can't make it as a weather man, you can still have a future as a draft analyst

• 2 months later...

If you wanna make a comparison between Singletary and any player that has ever played the same position as Devin................

Look up Joe Morris of the Giants and Browns.

Same build and same running style.

Joe Morris was an All Pro back in 85 and 86.

I don't think Singletary will ever reach that status, but if he is a quality back on a quality team.................... well done.

Edited by njbuff

On 5/2/2019 at 6:55 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Heard something interesting yesterday. The Bills had Singletary ranked 30 spots higher than the next available player when they selected him. This was an absolute no-brainer to them. 

He just may very well be the best RB in this year’s draft !! 

Edited by Putin

On 5/6/2019 at 1:53 PM, JohnC said:

No one is questioning Spiller's speed and athleticism. He was an exceptional athlete. That's acknowledged. But if a back doesn't have the instincts to hit the right hole or adjust to the line play then as a back then he is not going to be successful. It must be pointed out that Spiller not only struggled with the Bills under their coaches but he also struggled with other teams under their coaches. He was a great college player but a failure as a pro because he lacked the intangibles and running instinct that Singletary possesses. 

He may have had a disappointing career overall, but his 2012 season has arguably been the best season by a Bills RB since 1992. 6 ypc, 10.3 ypr, over 1700 yards from scrimmage. Let’s not forget that.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, Toesy said:

Here we go....."really something in the open field." Tell me, how many players are bad in the open field? :huh: "Space" was the word that was frequently used here. Spiller was said to be "good in space." In reality, the people who drafted him at #9 were in outer space.

And as far as pure game speed, really? The fastest ever? There are dozens who were faster and thousands who were better players.

He was not going to be at or near the "top" at anything except the unspeakably horrid waste of a draft pick list but of course, this is jmo.

53 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Here we go....."really something in the open field." Tell me, how many players are bad in the open field? :huh: "Space" was the word that was frequently used here. Spiller was said to be "good in space." In reality, the people who drafted him at #9 were in outer space.

And as far as pure game speed, really? The fastest ever? There are dozens who were faster and thousands who were better players.

He was not going to be at or near the "top" at anything except the unspeakably horrid waste of a draft pick list but of course, this is jmo.

Drafting Spiller made so much sense when they already had Lynch and Jackson.

Utter morons.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/2/2019 at 6:55 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

30 Spots higher?  That means they had him going #2 in the second round?

A way undersized slow scat back from a tier 2 college?

• Like (+1) 1