RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

4 hours ago, eball said:

Funny, I was just about to post the same thing. Every analyst I’ve watched thinks it was a great selection. And no, Shady isn’t going anywhere. 

....looks like Barnwell differs.............

Barnwell: Every NFL team's most likely candidate for post-draft trade or cut

Bill BarnwellESPN Staff Writer

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....looks like Barnwell differs.............

Barnwell: Every NFL team's most likely candidate for post-draft trade or cut

Bill BarnwellESPN Staff Writer

I remember seeing articles through last offseason regarding the same thing. I gotta wonder when people are gonna drop it. The dude will play out the last year of his contract and most likely just be left to another team or retire. 

I have no clue why people bring up the money aspect. The bills will have money to spare going through 2019. McCoy’s contract won’t affect anything. When people around here or guys like barnwell bring up McCoy’s money I think it shows how little they know about the teams current situation. 

This isnt directed right at you. Just in general 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I remember seeing articles through last offseason regarding the same thing. I gotta wonder when people are gonna drop it. The dude will play out the last year of his contract and most likely just be left to another team or retire. 

I have no clue why people bring up the money aspect. The bills will have money to spare going through 2019. McCoy’s contract won’t affect anything. When people around here or guys like barnwell bring up McCoy’s money I think it shows how little they know about the teams current situation. 

This isnt directed right at you. Just in general 

.....exactly.....what would be the benefit according to Barnwell as far as doing something in October?....

even Barnwell says: "unless the Bills are in playoff contention, it wouldn't be shocking to see McCoy moved at the end of October. "

It doesn't take a lot of wins to be in Playoff contention when the season is less than half over.

Not too many teams have thrown in the towel at that point in the year. 

If we start off 0-7, more heads will be on the block than just McCoy's.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think if we hadn't signed Yeldon people would like the pick more. Before Yeldon we had two old running backs and I thought it was a big need that we would address in the middle rounds. When we signed Yeldon I thought they were going to leave the position alone, so I was surprised when we took Singletary. But we didn't have any kind of long term plan there so I understand it.

Was surprised too but Beane said he stuck to the board and took BPA and with Gore and McCoy not being here next year I can see the reasoning. I was hoping we would go RB in the mid rounds and I would've been elated with Singletary or Henderson. Glad one of them will be on the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsherd said:

Most likey Chicago screwed us by taking David Montgomery ahead of us. 

There's just no way to know this. Panicking and picking the next best running back just because a team before us took a running back doesn't sound super Beane-like. Also, Beane mentioned that Singletary was "the most fun player to watch of all the guys he scouted all year". Furthermore, Singletary's similarities to LeSean McCoy would presumably be a viewed as an attractive component to, well...the team that currently employs an aging LeSean McCoy.

In the end, we'll always be left wondering. There's just no way to know for sure.

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

There's just no way to know this. Panicking and picking the next best running back just because a team before us took a running back doesn't sound super Beane-like. Also, Beane mentioned that Singletary was "the most fun player to watch of all the guys he scouted all year". Furthermore, Singletary's similarities to LeSean McCoy would presumably be a viewed as an attractive component to, well...the team that currently employs an aging LeSean McCoy.

In the end, we'll always be left wondering. There's just no way to know for sure.

...but the good news is that NO draft pick has yet to earn the "TBD Bust" label.....YET.............

14 hours ago, Pbomb said:

Because it wasn’t the guy they wanted that was still available  so they are bitter

Most of the people not liking this pick, including me, have no problems with the player.

I even understand wanting youth at the position.

But the DE/Edge situation is bad this year and dismal next year.

Hughes is 31 and in his last year - may be gone next year

Lawson has not earned a 5th year option - may be gone next year

Murphy does apply nice pressure, but is a lot like EJ Gaines. Good ability but lacks availability.

Even Alexander a rotational edge at this point in his career is what 35-36?

This was a very strong DL draft and two guys who would probably be 2nd round picks in less strong DL drafts were there for the taking.

At that 3rd round pick 2 DE were available that could come in and contribute in a rotation now. (Winovich and Ferguson)

Adding Ansah or Clowney fixes a lot of this, but nothing has happened on that front.

Plenty of good RBs were available with the second 3rd round pick if Buffalo still wanted to move up for one, and a boat load were still available in the 4th is Buffalo doesn't move.

up.

I'd feel more comfortable with Shady/ Gore/ Yeldon at RB this year and a hole next year. Than Hughes/Lawson/Murphy this year and a chasm next year in a weak DL draft.

When Buffalo moved back into the 3rd I thought it was to steal a DE, but Buffalo took a developmental TE instead and gave up picking anyone in the 4th for it.

I was left scratching my head, as were a lot of Bills fans.

10 hours ago, billsherd said:

Most likey Chicago screwed us by taking David Montgomery ahead of us. 

agree 100%

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Oh I dont know.....when he is making ppl miss in the middle of the LOS and scoring touchdowns it could look VERY sexy.

He did that against inferior competition. Even at his level a lot of guys were getting hands on him. I don't see him breaking those tackles in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, hemma said:

I don’t think the Bills ever had their eyes on Winovich.

I think some guys don’t even make it to their board, which is probably pretty normal.

I don't either...I never sensed the fit. Frank Clark maybe.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Heard something interesting yesterday. The Bills had Singletary ranked 30 spots higher than the next available player when they selected him. This was an absolute no-brainer to them. 

So BPA?  Beane should be fired for not drafting for need.

• Haha (+1) 2

• SDS unpinned this topic

In a Spiller type of carry count he could be very dynamic.  I dont think he will be a 25 to 30 carry guy in the NFL.  In today's game that isnt needed.  15 to 20 touches in a Tarik Cohen or Alvin Kamara type role makes his selection make alot more sense.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2019 at 12:55 PM, Turk71 said:

Winovich is not just a high motor lunch pail guy, he is almost 260 lbs and was faster and quicker than 203 lb Singletary in the 40, 3 cone, and 20 yd shuttle. His 40 was 4th among EDGE prospects, 3 cone 3rd, and 20 yd shuttle 1st. He is an athlete with good technique and good production against high level competition. I will be surprised if he doesn't have a good career in the NFL.

How are you “quicker” in a 40