RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

Devin averaged 5.2 yds per carry in 2018 in a horrible conference.  I hope his Oline had more to do with that then him.  

I much rather have taken Winovich or Sternberger at that pk then trade up for Hakeem Butler.  Good backs were going all the way threw the 6th rd in this draft. Who knows Singletary might of stuck around to our 5th rd pk. Not sure many teams cover at 5'7 195lb back with over 700 carries this early in the draft.  Shifty or not I mean Tarik Cohen went in the 5th and he's more talented then Singletary. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Devin averaged 5.2 yds per carry in 2018 in a horrible conference.  I hope his Oline had more to do with that then him.  

I much rather have taken Winovich or Sternberger at that pk then trade up for Hakeem Butler.  Good backs were going all the way threw the 6th rd in this draft. Who knows Singletary might of stuck around to our 5th rd pk. Not sure many teams cover at 5'7 195lb back with over 700 carries this early in the draft.  Shifty or not I mean Tarik Cohen went in the 5th and he's more talented then Singletary. 

Clearly the Bill's scouting department and decision makers feel differently, but I'm guessing all your extensive and exhaustive hours researching and scouting came to this informed analysis.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Magox said:

Clearly the Bill's scouting department and decision makers feel differently, but I'm guessing all your extensive and exhaustive hours researching and scouting came to this informed analysis.

The kid will be average at best in the NFL . We reached for him and in turn gave up basically the rest of our mid rd pks to get Knox . In which Beane has admitted to getting nervous about during the draft.  In my opinion that's where we lost the draft.

15 hours ago, Augie said:

I get upset when guys fly up in a draft because of measurable from the Combine, so I guess I can’t be too upset if a guy doesn’t drop like a brick. I know it matters to some degree, but the film looks pretty impressive. What do I know, so I’ll wait and see. 

You need to work on your bluster.  I can recommend a few people for you to follow closely because they are at the top of the bluster game.

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio this morning and Charlie Weiss has a show.    They were taking callers from fans asking about their teams draft.   There was a caller who was a Bills fan and asked Charlie what he thought of the Singletary pick.      Weiss says that he thought it was a homerun pick.  Says he watched all 12 games of his and concluded that he  was one of the top 2 overall backs in this years draft but the best pure runner and possibly the best pure runner he's seen in the last few drafts.   Says the only reason why he didn't go higher was because of he lacks top end speed and that he is as short as he is.    Weiss was saying that it is nearly impossible for the first guy to tackle him, he just makes people miss.  Says he is the same type of runner that Shady is.    And that he believes there is no doubt that he will end up being the starting running back if not this year then by next.   

This matches pretty closely with what I saw.   The guy has elite level vision, elite level moves/elusiveness and he breaks tons of tackles.  I keep hearing from some fans that believe he is some sort of gadget back.   That is the farthest thing from the truth, the only possible reason that I can think that some people hold this clearly ignorant view is that he's 5'8.       The guy is an in-between-the-tackle runner.  Look at his film, that's where he makes his living.   He isn't some guy that is just elusive out in the open field, he has the same sort of quality that Shady does which has the unique ability to run through you without hardly being touched.   He doesn't need to be out in the open field to juke your socks off, he can do it in an instant in tight spaces.    I saw a stat that he led college football in yards after contact.   This is a sturdy compact 5'8 205 pounder who despite not having top end speed, has a very impressive 1st and 2nd gear who can accelerate past defenders.     Not only that, the dude hardly ever fumbles the ball.      

If anyone actually takes the time and watches a lot of his film, looks at his stats and I don't just mean the on-the-surface stats which are impressive as hell but some of the other stats such as yards after contact, ball handling etc they will see that this guy is a really good runner.  

• Like (+1) 5

15 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Shady ran the 40 in 4.45, Singletary 4.66. Pretty big difference there. Singletary significantly slower in 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle, 10 yd split etc.

Will be interesting to see if his style works against much much quicker and faster competition than he saw at FAU. I am a bit skeptical but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

At the other end of the spectrum Terrell Davis ran a 4.72.  He had a decent career IIRC.

2 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

The kid will be average at best in the NFL . We reached for him and in turn gave up basically the rest of our mid rd pks to get Knox . In which Beane has admitted to getting nervous about during the draft.  In my opinion that's where we lost the draft.

So, he will be an average NFL player, we reached, Beane was nervous and we lost the draft.  You may have just set the record for # of hot takes in less than 52 words.

One thing I have learned in my many years on this planet is "do not make pronouncements about things you are not expert in." Have an opinion, offer that opinion, but, don't make pronouncements because they have a tendency to make you look stupid if anyone cares to bring them up down the road.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Toesy said:

Yeah-I don't think they drafted him because of any sort of multi-year plan-they picked him just because of his ability-they didn't need a RB.

Say what?  You really believe that our front office doesn't think past the upcoming season when acquiring players?  Not sure what else to say about this one.

Edited by akm0404

47 minutes ago, Magox said:

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio this morning and Charlie Weiss has a show.    They were taking callers from fans asking about their teams draft.   There was a caller who was a Bills fan and asked Charlie what he thought of the Singletary pick.      Weiss says that he thought it was a homerun pick.  Says he watched all 12 games of his and concluded that he  was one of the top 2 overall backs in this years draft but the best pure runner and possibly the best pure runner he's seen in the last few drafts.   Says the only reason why he didn't go higher was because of he lacks top end speed and that he is as short as he is.    Weiss was saying that it is nearly impossible for the first guy to tackle him, he just makes people miss.  Says he is the same type of runner that Shady is.    And that he believes there is no doubt that he will end up being the starting running back if not this year then by next.   

This matches pretty closely with what I saw.   The guy has elite level vision, elite level moves/elusiveness and he breaks tons of tackles.  I keep hearing from some fans that believe he is some sort of gadget back.   That is the farthest thing from the truth, the only possible reason that I can think that some people hold this clearly ignorant view is that he's 5'8.       The guy is an in-between-the-tackle runner.  Look at his film, that's where he makes his living.   He isn't some guy that is just elusive out in the open field, he has the same sort of quality that Shady does which has the unique ability to run through you without hardly being touched.   He doesn't need to be out in the open field to juke your socks off, he can do it in an instant in tight spaces.    I saw a stat that he led college football in yards after contact.   This is a sturdy compact 5'8 205 pounder who despite not having top end speed, has a very impressive 1st and 2nd gear who can accelerate past defenders.     Not only that, the dude hardly ever fumbles the ball.      

If anyone actually takes the time and watches a lot of his film, looks at his stats and I don't just mean the on-the-surface stats which are impressive as hell but some of the other stats such as yards after contact, ball handling etc they will see that this guy is a really good runner.  

I don't get too wrapped around the axle with running backs, even elite running backs will stall behind sub par offensive lines. You fix the line, your backs will find daylight.

With that in mind, the thing I like to look for is whether a prospect loses the handle and fumbles too often, or does he have a history of injuries, is there any blocking foundation to build upon, and does he have soft enough hands to catch out of the backfield.

Singletary seems durable and I am sure with the injection of maulers in the trenches and with better coaching the Bills will have more success running the ball with all our running backs. The size does not bother me too much as I always liked those low center of gravity runners who will get lost behind the big bodies then squirt out for a bunch of yards. Also we already have players who can fill the role of the short yardage bangers on the roster. Will be interesting to watch this kid grow and to see if the Bills move any RBs currently on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

This is the stuff that is wrong on this board. 

We are not pro scouts, to discuss or debate things is one thing, but stating them as fact is silly. 

You cannot possibly KNOW he is at best average in the nfl before he ever plays a down. 

Plenty of guys come out of those rounds as solid contributors and you’re judging they lost the draft off 2 picks? Or the fact they gave up extra chances at hits on low picks to get those 2? You can’t lose a draft before the players see the field. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

i dont know why people get so caught up on 40 times. 4.6 4.5 4.4?  we are talking 1/1000 of a second difference here, a blink of an eye. I think if this kid succeeds its gonna be due to his vision, toughness  and quickness/ shiftiness in tight spaces, he seems to have a nasty jump cut.  What jumps out at me tho is he doesnt just dance around back there either when he sees a seam he plants and goes. If he works hard he has a good chance in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

my bad should have stuck with the blink of an eye

You're all good Billy...

I takes on average about 300 milliseconds to blink. The eyelid travels maybe a couple of centimeters each way. We blink in about 1/10th of a second. The eyelid moves a little more than a centimeter down, then the same distance back up again - so the speed is around 20cm/sec - which is only about a half a mile per hour.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I love the bills draft for the most part. The 1st 2 picks were a dream scenario. I'm struggling a bit with the two 3rd rounders.

I think we're in an era where combine numbers dominant discussion. Singletary's #s are lackluster but what don't they don't capture is his elite vision. Shady and Faulk had rare vision where they saw the entire field and used to maximize their yards. Obviously much debate in this 28 page thread about this.

So say we went another route with our 1st 3rd rounder and didn't move up for Knox. What ifs don't really matter except for discussion purposes on a message board. 

What if our picks shook out like so:

3.11: Winovich - EDGE

4.10: Bryce Love - RB

4.35: Moreau -  TE

Would the masses prefer this outcome to Singletary/Knox?

• Like (+1) 1