RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

Ok, these megathreads are tough to fully digest but I was on record as saying that:

1)  The Bills would/should take a RB in the 3rd round if there was a particular guy they liked

2)  Hoping it would be David Montgomery because even though he lacked elite speed, he was an all-around back that could grind out yards and sustain offense.

Since the Bears traded up to 74 and got the one I wanted right in front of the Bills' pick, my team had to "settle" for a slower, smaller less athletic back from a lesser conference.  Now I have to reserve judgement until I actually can see him play against NFL speed defense.  Two of the more important traits of a runner are balance and vision and you don't assess those with a stop watch or tape measure.

12 minutes ago, dakrider said:

This was simply a bad pick due to the fact there were several very good WR's on the board here!  Singletary is undersized and not fast.   

Frank Gore is finished and Shady could fall off a cliff any minute in production. It’s a great pick for the future of this franchise at the running back position. The wide receivers obviously weren’t that great considered we passed on them.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Ok, these megathreads are tough to fully digest but I was on record as saying that:

1)  The Bills would/should take a RB in the 3rd round if there was a particular guy they liked

2)  Hoping it would be David Montgomery because even though he lacked elite speed, he was an all-around back that could grind out yards and sustain offense.

Since the Bears traded up to 74 and got the one I wanted right in front of the Bills' pick, my team had to "settle" for a slower, smaller less athletic back from a lesser conference.  Now I have to reserve judgement until I actually can see him play against NFL speed defense.  Two of the more important traits of a runner are balance and vision and you don't assess those with a stop watch or tape measure.

His testing may be less athletic but his game film is not. His vision, quick twitch moves, acceleration and  balance after contact is unreal. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

His testing may be less athletic but his game film is not. His vision, quick twitch moves, acceleration and  balance after contact is unreal. 

I think what his film illustrates is that Combine agility/speed and actual game-time agility/speed are not the same, and the former may not predict the latter.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think it’s going to be tough to keep this guy on the bench.  Latter part of the year, he may get the bulk of the carries.

Shady seems to have his fair share of hamstring problems and I can’t see Gore carrying the full load.

33 minutes ago, dakrider said:

This was simply a bad pick due to the fact there were several very good WR's on the board here!  Singletary is undersized and not fast.   

Yet Beane has stated that they simply stuck with their board and took their top rated player in each spot; he didn’t want to reach. So while they need a certain type of WR to finish this offensive roster, that player wasn’t available to them when they picked . Just the way the board fell. I was hoping for a WR after round two, but just wasn’t the right draft class I guess. 

Love the pick. You can’t find him behind the line. Fantastic football speed. Low center of gravity. Bounces off defenders. People get way too caught up in his 40. In today’s NFL you aren’t likely to outrun defenses. This guy plays the 0-15 yard game as well as any back in the draft. 

23 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I've been looking into this guy some more. I don't think he can be elite because of his speed, but he can be effective. We'll still need to add a RB next year, but RB by committee can work. He's small and slow, but doesn't go down easily. His speed is just enough to get by. Very elusive.

His combine was slow but the kid had the speed during games. 

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Against Ok 18 carries 69 yds 3.8 ypc , 26 of those yds on one carry; meaning 17 carries for 43 yds 2.5 ypc on the rest of them. Oklahoma had 25 defenders record at least one tackle which means the entire bench got to play. I am pretty sure he wasn't the best player on the field that day.

Glad you took the time and watched it, not just look at the stat sheet.  He was the first, second, and third key for the defense.  Routinely, made the first guy miss and for most of the game it was behind the LOS.

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Glad you took the time and watched it, not just look at the stat sheet.  He was the first, second, and third key for the defense.  Routinely, made the first guy miss and for most of the game it was behind the LOS.

You're right, I didn't watch it. When I get a chance I will watch some of his tape. 

I am definitely not rooting against him, I hope it turns out he was an awesome pick.

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

You're right, I didn't watch it. When I get a chance I will watch some of his tape. 

I am definitely not rooting against him, I hope it turns out he was an awesome pick.

I came away from those games wondering if any other back would have gotten more out of the runs.  The number 1 Rb drafted had the same 40 time.  You watch them play and there is no way you think they are the same speed.  He could be a real weapon in the offense this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Love the pick. You can’t find him behind the line. Fantastic football speed. Low center of gravity. Bounces off defenders. People get way too caught up in his 40. In today’s NFL you aren’t likely to outrun defenses. This guy plays the 0-15 yard game as well as any back in the draft. 

Travis Henry 2.0

He may have not been at the top of their board at RB, but there was a bit of a run on the position and perhaps their board was getting a bit thin at RB a position they were determined to inject with some youth.

The Bills only brought in Darrell Henderson and Miles Sanders for official pre-draft visits, but there were 27 teams in attendance at the Iowa State pro-day to see RB Montgomery too. 

After they moved up to the 6th spot to nab Ford in the 2nd they held the 11th pick in the 3rd. During that wait Miles went 21st in the 2nd, and Henderson went to the Rams on the 6th pick of the 3rd, and Montgomery right before their 11th pick to the Bears. Probably felt they had to pull the trigger when they did, so I get it.

Wishing "Motor" much success.