RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Any concerns I hand were quickly dispelled when I watch his games vs Oklahoma and UCF.  Teams and defense vastly superior in talent he popped off the screen.  

Agreed! His team was badly outmatched on the line. I didn't see one play where his oline won. Not one. But he kept making things happen. That run at 1:09 is a thing of beauty.

For all the chatter of too slow or too much workload .. please compare Devin (CUSA player) to Kareem (a MAC player) .. yes Hunt is bigger but just saying I see some of the following knocks on Singletary

40 YARD Dash - 4.62 for Hunt vs 4.66 for Devin (but Devin can't outrun defenders .. damn that .04 seconds)

Didn't play against top flight competition ... MAC vs C-USA ..let's agree a push (all love to UB aside)

Used too much .. last year of college .. each had 260ish carries

Both picked in the 3rd round

One can only hope (sans the Hunt Hotel incident) that maybe just maybe we got something like the Chiefs got in the 3rd

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kareem-hunt?id=2557917

Draft Review comments for Hunt

Bottom Line

Big back with plus vision and enough elusiveness to make the first defender miss. Feel for the rushing lane helps him choose the correct path between the tackles but lacks the burst to turn the 4-yard run into 14. Zone-scheme runner with serviceable hands out of the backfield. Adequate in most areas and has talent to become a backup that can step in and handle a bigger load if needed.

Devin Review Comments

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/devin-singletary?id=32195349-4e18-6919-d1e6-003f4632ba87

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Yawn. CJ Spiller ultra-light.

How do you come to that comparison? Spiller was a speed-demon who kicked it outside often. He had decent bulk. He was more of an out of the backfield threat than a #1 RB. Singletary is knocked for lack of speed, bulk and pass catching production. Singletary actually shows power and uses the middle of the field very well, which is why he scored three times the number of TDs Spiller did in college. I mean, yeah, they both have/had sick spin moves.

• Like (+1) 1

The guy appears to have great balance-that is why he is able to break tackles so easily-what I do like is a lot of his stuff-like that run at 1.09 seems to be effortless-he made that tackler seem like a little kid.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 100DollarBills said:

He will be a limited RB in the NFL, once teams figure out how to contain him up the middle, he’s finished because he doesn’t have enough speed to make it around the outside. 

Does that mean any back that doesn't run 4.5 or better is a "limited" back and will be "finished" bc they can't get outside? 

10 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Yawn. CJ Spiller ultra-light.

Don't get the Spiller comp here. CJ was a blazer with bad vision and poor tackle breaking ability. DS has elite vision, balance and had 93 broken tackles last season. Saquon Barkley had 94 the year before. 

I do not like this pick, moreso after we signed TJ Sheldon, but I understand why we did it. If one of the vetarn RBs we have on the team is catched up by father time, we have a reasonable, productive RB to step up and help the team. Big if.

His highlights look impressive, though.

12 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Some of you guys must work for Bills PR dept,  every pick you love.  This draft will end up getting both Sean and Beane fired,  this RB ran about a 4.7,  ok to be small if you are the fastest guy on the field.  He will never be that in the NFL

Some of you guys must work for opposition press, every pick you hate but I blame the water affecting children during development.

Neither will be fired over this draft.

• Like (+1) 1

IMO the 40 time is a big deal for a CB or kick returner but that is about it-people forget that a lot of these kids train specifically for the 40 with sprint coaches-there is a link between 40 speed and real game speed but they aren't the same thing-for a great 40 time your sprint start is really important.  

12 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Interesting.  He's got great balance, patience, and vision.  And he's a fast little mother.

But he looks small, and in most of those highlights he's getting great blocking.  There's little there to show off any power or strength he may or may not have.  Based solely on those...he looks like a third-down back.  He could be successful in the NFL, behind a line that blows defenses off the line - which makes the Ford pick interesting, as well.

Based on his build, though...doesn't look like an RB that's going to have a very long career.

He is NOT a power back, he is opposite of Ivory.   Blocking which should work for McCoy should work for him although I do not think he will be that good and he will need a 2nd back to share touches or he will wear down.

12 hours ago, Nelius said:

Fired?! Come on dude, you're clearly pushing the other extreme and can't be taken seriously yourself if that's your reaction to this draft

Don't harp on him, it is the Niagara water.  It is like harping on schooling on kids who were born in Florida.

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think Shady gets dealt for a ham sandwich and Yeldon and Gore carry the load while Singletary is groomed to take over as our bell cow. 

Im not in favor of dealing shady unless we’re getting an impact player. I think shady has a bounce back year. Better line, better passing game (hopefully) should mean good things for shady. Question is whether he has gas in the tank for another season.  I’m not giving up on him though. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He is NOT a power back, he is opposite of Ivory.   Blocking which should work for McCoy should work for him although I do not think he will be that good and he will need a 2nd back to share touches or he will wear down.

...is the initial Sproules comparison potentially an accurate (sure it's premature) one?............