RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

31 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Someone please help me see the good in this. I thought we should have gotten a TE for Allen but instead draft a 5'7 RB?? Maybe this is just my gut reaction but I cant help but feel disappointed

I really want to like this pick.

Please help!!

Read "Take Your Eye Off the Ball":

https://www.amazon.com/Take-Your-Eye-Off-Ball/dp/1629371696/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1XREZ8Z5LXMQZ&keywords=take+your+eye+off+the+ball&qid=1556333569&s=books&sprefix=take+your+eye+off%2Caps%2C165&sr=1-1

5 bucks used on amazon.

It's a well written, easy to understand explanation of football from someone with an eye (and a knowledge) for the game. It will help you understand the way the game is played, and the way teams are constructed to play. There's nothing you could learn about the player in particular that would change your opinion about it in a meaningful way. But there are things you could learn about why he was drafted, and how he compares in style and skillset to his peers and the running backs on Buffalo's roster that might make you appreciate the pick.

Also, any pick viewed in isolation can be dissected and critiqued to the point of it seeming like a "bad" pick, but the reality is--each pick is made in the context of an offensive system or a playbook, a salary cap, new positional coaches, the health of other players, the strength of other positional groups, the long term viability of other positional groups against the cap, etc. 

Long story short: what the Bills are looking for in an elusive back is a more dire need than what theyre looking for from the tight end position next fall. That may be because Shady's health is worse than we know, or because they plan on using an offense that relies on the tight ends as pass catchers less than we assume (or want). 

So when people say "trust the process", although it seems like its a meme about clapping and beane and whatever else, really it means trust that the coach, qb and gm are on the same page in building the 2019 buffalo bills--and if you want to know the part the qb plays in the process of building a team--read that book. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tcali said:

jerry rice ran about a 4.6 40....never ever saw him get caught from behind

Yet if you watch Singletary's highlights he gets caught from behind every time.  He does not pull away.

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

You're comparing Bill Belichick's team building record with...Brandon Beane.  Besides, this is a massive conflation. 

Yes. That's exactly what I'm doing. Beane is obviously the second coming of Bill Belichick.

Don't get me wrong ... I was on the Winovich bandwagon (and hate he's on the Pats now) ... too much lineage to Nicovich (3rd cousins ?) ... but trust Beane and his choices .. OL crappiness aside .. Shady has lost a step .. this kid has 2 steps

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, <bills4life> said:

Emmit Smith ran a 4.7 forty.  I’m pretty sure he had a decent career.

Emmitt was never a fast burner back.. He had an outstanding O-line and what made Emmitt great was his longevity.

Just now, daz28 said:

Yet if you watch Singletary's highlights he gets caught from behind every time.  He does not pull away.

OK--i will take your word for it...But he gets the job done I assume...getting up to the line quickly

3 minutes ago, Tcali said:

jerry rice ran about a 4.6 40....never ever saw him get caught from behind

L Bell ain't a burner. The only stock I take in that 40 time if accurate is he won't take it to the house when he really hits his hole. So.. 40 yard gains instead of 70 TD. You still have to have all the other tools to make that break out run to begin with and many don't have it. Makes the 40 time a hill of beans if they can't break runs often

1 minute ago, daz28 said:

Thurman didn't exactly pull away every time either.

You guys are too hung up on this stuff.

The Bills drafted a gamer here.

Let's hope it works out.

• Like (+1) 2

For everyone thinking that 40 time is a perfect indicator of game speed, just think of Josh Allen. He ran mid 4.7s, and can absolutely take off and outrun players on the other team. His measured top speed in-game was the fastest of any QB over the last several years (outside of Mariota).

Running a 40 without the ball and with no padding is a really noisy indicator of what you can do with the ball in a game situation. Singletary is going to surprise people thinking he's slow.

• Like (+1) 1