RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

1 minute ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Jesus man that's a ballsy joke hahaha. Not bad. Anyways what's your Intel? Is he good in the passing game? I really want a pass catching running back here.

Haha i know.  

I don’t know how well he will do at pass catching, they didn’t throw many balls to him.  But we can always pair him with a 3rd down receiving back if need be.  

But hes got exceptional vision and feet

Watching his highlights, that 4.66 snapshot in time at the combine is totally irrelevant. He’s shows top end football speed from the little I’ve seen. Reminds me of Jerry Rice in that regard; slow 40 but constantly running away from defenders. And you can’t argue his productivity. We can knock him for the level of competition, but he dominated that competition and that’s the measuring stick for players from lesser programs and conferences. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Cheektowaga Chad said:

True

I could also see a competition that breaks down to gore vs mccoy and yeldon vs singletary ( as a basis of course)

Even though Allen is the key player on the offense, we are still going to be a run first team. We need backs.  Do we keep 4? I don't know .

There is barely a difference between made up posted times like 4.46 and 4.61 certainly nothing your eyes can "see" on tape.

He is supposed to be fast and shifty we will see. We needed an RB we took one. Not every pick gonna be every ones favorite and cant grade them all in isolation

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So does The Athletic:

GRADE: 3rd Round (#78 overall)

STRENGTHS: Terrific lateral agility that gives defenders nightmares…sets up moves with widescreen vision and slippery athleticism (led the FBS with 113 broken tackles in 2018, 25 more than any other player)…outstanding instincts to sense developing lanes and dart between open spaces…patient ball carrier and won’t force things…natural balance with the core strength to keep his feet…not overpowering, but runs low and doesn’t gear down at contact, finishing strong…impressive 191.3 fumble rate (four career fumbles)…nice job on angle routes and catches passes thrown at him…nose for the end zone, ranking sixth all time in FBS history with 66 rushing touchdowns (five players ahead of him all played four years)…above-average production with three straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons, setting the school records for career rushing yards and all-purpose yards.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks an ideal build for the position with limited growth potential…average power as an inside runner…tends to fatigue over four quarters and workload will be a question mark with his size…lacks ideal long-speed for the position…wasn’t asked to stay home and pass protect in college…receiving production declined over his career.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Florida Atlantic, Singletary produced from the moment he stepped foot onto campus in Boca Raton, rewriting the Owls rushing records. His 54 rushing touchdowns the last two seasons was easily the best in college football over that span. Singletary runs with remarkable balance to elude in tight quarters, leading the FBS with 69.8 percent of his rushing yards in 2018 coming after initial contact. He is tougher than he looks, but his lack of body armor and questions about being a three-down player will be the main concerns for his next-level transition. Overall, Singletary is uniquely skilled at forcing missed tackles due to his lateral agility and ability to feel openings, projecting as a LeSean McCoy type of offensive weapon in the NFL.

Awesome, thanks for the info. 

I know I'm asking a lot but I was really hoping for a duel threat out of the passing game too. Says his receiving production declined, could be system changes, QB, etc. is he a decent pass catcher? Did he have solid receiving production of note before he declined?

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Interesting.  He's got great balance, patience, and vision.  And he's a fast little mother.

But he looks small, and in most of those highlights he's getting great blocking.  There's little there to show off any power or strength he may or may not have.  Based solely on those...he looks like a third-down back.  He could be successful in the NFL, behind a line that blows defenses off the line - which makes the Ford pick interesting, as well.

Based on his build, though...doesn't look like an RB that's going to have a very long career.

Hes never missed a game and was ran hard by Kiffin

1 minute ago, daz28 said:

He seems to want to lean into hits, yet still has that great cut.  He's mini shady and Gore.  Seems to aggressively meet the tackler.  

Seems to work, led the nation in broken tackles and yards after contact (and in TDs).

Speed wins in this league. We added speed at WR in FA and last year in Foster but our speed at RB is not what is should be. Shady may rip off 20 yard runs that could be 50 yard runs. This is why teams commit to young running backs. I think they want a kid to learn from Shady and Gore and this kid will possibly be RB2. Gore may only be a short yardage and goal line back.  This may also signal the end of the FB in Buffalo. If we are going to be a spread offense then who needs a FB. Debating whether this is good choice in round 3 is worthless because they said they were going BPA and that’s what they did.

Edited by Locomark

13 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Some of you guys must work for Bills PR dept,  every pick you love.  This draft will end up getting both Sean and Beane fired,  this RB ran about a 4.7,  ok to be small if you are the fastest guy on the field.  He will never be that in the NFL

Hahaha. Hot take of the year!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Logic said:

He's gonna learn from two of the best ever in McCoy and Gore.

I can't help but wonder if we got scooped by the Bears, who traded just in front of us and took Montgomery.

Can they teach him how to run faster?  Shady can teach him the jump cuts that wind up as 4 yard losses.

25 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I'm floored by the TE talk. Who exactly? We've got a 6'6" TE with NFL experience, who are the starting TE's left on the board right now?

Kroft has 67 career catches in 4 NFL seasons and missed most of last year.  He's essentially on a 1 year deal IIRC.  

15 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

@Joe in Winslow it's a start bud. We desperately needed a rushing attack. This guy better be damned good in both rushing and catching out of the backfield.

Not sure about this one. But if he's got that pass catching skillset these kind of RBs do wonders to our passing attack.

Don't know anything about him. Can he catch?

Teams win in the NFL with passing the ball.  This guy isn't the typical 3rd down back who makes catches out of the backfield.  Perhaps he wasn't asked to, but spending a 3rd on a slow RB from a non power 5 conference who's around 200# I would expect he could do that.  

One gets the impression McD is building this team like it was 1980.  It's a bold strategy Cotton.  

Edited by BillsVet

7 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

I really want to like the guy, but I just don't think he has the speed for his style of running. Check out these highlights against OU. For his style of running, he won't be able to hit the outside runs, NFL LBrs are too fast. Sure he can make some fast cuts, but there is no top gear.

I sure as hell hope he proves me wrong. I highly doubt him being drafted means the end of Shady.

@DC Tom Take a look at this video against superior competition. I think you get glimpses here when he isn’t completely overwhelmed in the backfield

3 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

There is barely a difference between made up posted times like 4.46 and 4.61 certainly nothing your eyes can "see" on tape.

He is supposed to be fast and shifty we will see. We needed an RB we took one. Not every pick gonna be every ones favorite and cant grade them all in isolation

When that 4.66 guy is being chased by that 4.46 guy you can certainly see it.

I wonder if Singletary was the guy Beane was referring to in his pre draft press conference.  

I dont remember his exact words but he specifically mentioned one guy who didn’t run the 40 very fast that he swore was faster on tape and that was more important. Also said something like they were comparing guys and how to stack em based on his evaluation.