Rudolph back on Trade Block.

MAJBobby

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Exactly.  A 5th would be the highest I think the value would say.  I believe that players (i.e. Shaq) would be more likely.

Nice, Blitz buddy.  A friend of mine texted me this morning before I saw this and the rumor going around was 5th...maybe not necessarily what they would take, but may be what is being offered.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

i'd absolutely kick the tires on him. what's his name is coming off a season ending concussion and the other is a nice prospect.  The rookie is a rookie. We need a legit top target big man for allen. I'd love this trade and he's signed one year with no dead cap but we would never cut him. Sign him up for a year or two more and we're golden. 

On 4/26/2019 at 10:58 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

How many tight ends do you need?

A whole sleigh full led by Rudolph!!!:pirate:

I was greatly saddened when we missed out on Rudolph cause I had the feeling he was gonna be a great TE. Now we can reverse the Gronk curse since he retired and now we have a chance to torment the division with Allen to Rudolph all day.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Wyatt Teller and Matt Milano are limited to special teams?

No, of course not. Fifth rounders can be viable contributors, even starters. Kyle Williams falls into that category. But more often than not, they are looked at as special teamers with the hope that they can turn into more. Lottery tickets, if you will. My original point was that I would not go any higher than a 5th for Rudolph and would prefer a 6th or 7th. At least with him, you should get 1 or 2 years of good TE play which is more than fair for a 6th or 7th, IMO. He's the devil you know versus the one you don't in a late round draft pick.

Not sure if Rudolph has lived up to his draft status.

When drafted thought he was more that limited flex receiving option TE and less an inline blocker. That was the case and he was even a bit slow to pickup the passing game at an NFL level.

Over the years I think he has become a more complete TE, but perhaps the ceiling is not where the Vikings want it to be and 7 years in they should have a good idea on that. Probably the right idea to shop him to see what they can get...he works as a role player.

A team like NE could pick him up on the cheap and figure out how to squeeze more production out of him I am sure with the Gronk-sized vacuum they have currently.

2 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Exactly.  A 5th would be the highest I think the value would say.  I believe that players (i.e. Shaq) would be more likely.

7th.......2021 

34 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Not sure if Rudolph has lived up to his draft status.

When drafted thought he was more that limited flex receiving option TE and less an inline blocker. That was the case and he was even a bit slow to pickup the passing game at an NFL level.

Over the years I think he has become a more complete TE, but perhaps the ceiling is not where the Vikings want it to be and 7 years in they should have a good idea on that. Probably the right idea to shop him to see what they can get...he works as a role player.

A team like NE could pick him up on the cheap and figure out how to squeeze more production out of him I am sure with the Gronk-sized vacuum they have currently.

Not convinced Gronk isn't on the Pats in Nov-Dec next year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Not convinced Gronk isn't on the Pats in Nov-Dec next year.

You could be right... I think he has reversed course on past retirement comments.

We will see.

On 4/26/2019 at 7:39 PM, MAJBobby said:

So who would be open to giving a 5th for Rudolph?  With the Irv Smith pick NFL Network speaking he is back on the block. 

Why on earth would Minn trade Rudolph for a 5th?

Vikings GM Spielman had this to say:

“You guys are really great at stirring a lot of stuff up out there,” Spielman said this week during a SiriusXM interview. “You make my press conferences interesting.”

The Vikings general manager was asked how Rudolph and Smith Jr. can complement each other on the field.

“Thank you, yeah, they’re two different types of players,” Spielman told SiriusXM radio. “With [Gary] Kubiak and [Kevin] Stefanski’s offense, one thing we felt is we didn’t have a player like an Irv Smith Jr. — a lot smaller from the standard that Kyle is. Kyle is an on-the-line Y [tight end]. Irv, you see him play H-back, you see him play fullback, you see him split out in the slot. And how can you create mismatches with defenses now?

He has a big contract, but he has openly said he is open to restructuring if it will keep his family in Minn.

Zimmer is going into, what, his 6th year as HC? and has had intermittent success, but the fans want to see him close the deal, not take a step back as last year.

Spielman is going into his 8th year as titular GM, and just bet the rent on Cousins as a QB.  Expect him to try to weight the deck for Cousins increased success.

They both have to be feeling some pressure to win or GTFO.

Reading those tea leaves, what would a 5th for their star TE give them that would help them either 1) win now or 2) make the Cousins signing look good (or both)?

On 4/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, ExWNYer said:

Yeah, that's right. I said I wouldn't go higher than a 5th. 5th or 6th is it. Prefer a 6th. He's basically a 1 year rental who will be 30, so even a day 3 pick doesn't thrill me.

The question isn't whether it would thrill you, the question is whether a next year's 5th or 6th would do more to help the Vikes than Rudolph's body on the field for Cousins to aim at.  Yes, they're in cap hell, but he has said he would restructure.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why on earth would Minn trade Rudolph for a 5th?

Vikings GM Spielman had this to say:

“You guys are really great at stirring a lot of stuff up out there,” Spielman said this week during a SiriusXM interview. “You make my press conferences interesting.”

The Vikings general manager was asked how Rudolph and Smith Jr. can complement each other on the field.

“Thank you, yeah, they’re two different types of players,” Spielman told SiriusXM radio. “With [Gary] Kubiak and [Kevin] Stefanski’s offense, one thing we felt is we didn’t have a player like an Irv Smith Jr. — a lot smaller from the standard that Kyle is. Kyle is an on-the-line Y [tight end]. Irv, you see him play H-back, you see him play fullback, you see him split out in the slot. And how can you create mismatches with defenses now?

He has a big contract, but he has openly said he is open to restructuring if it will keep his family in Minn.

Zimmer is going into, what, his 6th year as HC? and has had intermittent success, but the fans want to see him close the deal, not take a step back as last year.

Spielman is going into his 8th year as titular GM, and just bet the rent on Cousins as a QB.  Expect him to try to weight the deck for Cousins increased success.

They both have to be feeling some pressure to win or GTFO.

Reading those tea leaves, what would a 5th for their star TE give them that would help them either 1) win now or 2) make the Cousins signing look good (or both)?

I think this is bang on. If Minnesota can get a 3rd or better maybe they consider moving him. Not for a 5th. So what team is going to give a 3rd for a 30 year-old TE in the final year of his contract? The Pats would appear to be a desperate as any team for TE help but they don't like parting with their picks.

Having 2 TEs with different skill sets is a good problem to have for Minny. The tight end position has one of largest learning curves. Expecting Irv to be ready to be starter out of the gates isn't realistic.

This is sort of like the Shady trade rumours. No one's giving up a premium pick for a 30 year old RB making 9 mil. So the Bills are just better off keeping him.

I think Rudolph stays put and probably re-works his deal.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, DrinkinBuddy said:

I think this is bang on. If Minnesota can get a 3rd or better maybe they consider moving him. Not for a 5th. So what team is going to give a 3rd for a 30 year-old TE in the final year of his contract? The Pats would appear to be a desperate as any team for TE help but they don't like parting with their picks.

Having 2 TEs with different skill sets is a good problem to have for Minny. The tight end position has one of largest learning curves. Expecting Irv to be ready to be starter out of the gates isn't realistic.

This is sort of like the Shady trade rumours. No one's giving up a premium pick for a 30 year old RB making 9 mil. So the Bills are just better off keeping him.

I think Rudolph stays put and probably re-works his deal.

Annoyingly correct, DB.

dang, I wanted this guy.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Annoyingly correct, DB.

dang, I wanted this guy.

I think the Bills have to put Knox in and give him the opportunity to play.  He can be a difference maker at that position.  He will be Josh Allen's best buddy!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/26/2019 at 8:52 PM, Utah John said:

Low draft picks who make the team are cheap labor.  Trading a low pick for an established player costs a lot.  Better to take a shot on a draft pick than trade that pick for an older guy who would want a big contract. 

This is satire, right?