RD 2, Pick 38: OT Cody Ford, Oklahoma

SDS

Just had a look at the mock first round projections on NFL.com and all 8 of their analysts had Ford going in round 1. All but one of those had him between 11-18.

Doesn't mean too much but it is nice that we got a consensus mid first rounder in the second.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Right,  i am sure Beane will now draft a WR who can block and plays with a high motor.  

Consider yourself ‘encouraged’ to seek warm fandom with some other team. Not a single positive comment from you the past 2 days, just 30+ cold, unsanitary droppings. Some call it trolling, which gets you 30+ days in the hole. Currently, you’re viewed as a homeless kid who barely survived another brutal winter outdoors. So I empathize with your plight.

Currently..

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is an outstanding pick.  I cannot believe he was still there at 38 and it was a great job by Beane to move up to grab him.  I was hoping Risner would slide to them but this was a better and unexpected outcome.  The Bills were always going to select an OL somewhere high in this draft and anybody expecting different was simply not paying close attention.  It was certainly the right thing to do as well.  Patching the OL with free agents - and there are some significant upgrades in this year's crop - is fine, but to have long term success you need to draft and develop your own.  

These guys demonstrate a sound approach to team building in my opinion.

Edited by FLFan
  • Like (+1) 2

I LOVE this pick! For one, I've always believed in building a team up in the trenches and now we could have a top 10 OL. For another, I'd really like to see us run the ball more and Ford is a road grader. I bet Shady is smiling from ear to ear right now.

Also, I feel compelled to correct some of the chatter on Dawkins. He did not regress in his 2nd season. He did not progress either. He is an average starting OT. He isn't getting moved from his starting LT spot. He is very slightly better than Nsekhe, who remains the best backup OT in the NFL. In fact, Ford may not be ready on day 1, but I still think he starts right away.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

Bills Office is making us drool with excitement. Sure, I also agree that while the receiver corp is improved, it's still a weak point, TE in particular. But Beane is not planning just for 2019! With all that cap space for 2020, and hopefully a Josh Allen that shows HE IS THE MAN behind a much improved OLine, receivers will flock to Buffalo next year. A good pass protecting line with a cannon arm QB? That makes any deep ball catcher drool. Seriously, the difference between winning and losing are small, and the Bills have made improvements all across the board. Very few in  the D but Oliver should make a difference at a much much better price tag that the overpaid Star Lotulelei! 

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-2019-live-updates-of-2nd-round-with-analysis-grades-nfl-draft-results-nfl-draft-grades-nfl-draft-tracker.html

Pick: Cody Ford, OL, Oklahoma

Analysis: This pick was traded twice in the span of 10 minutes. It landed in Buffalo and the Bills got a really good player. Ford can be a Pro Bowl guard or a solid right tackle. It’s amazing he lasted this long. Grade: A+

Scouting report from Bob McGinn Football: Possibly the most physical blocker in the draft. “That sumbitch is tough and he’s mean,” one scout said. “He bends his knees. He keeps his feet moving. He is technique-sound and disciplined, and coaches love that. I think he could be a good NFL tackle but he’ll probably be a great guard. I want to tell you. He is aggressive.” Fourth-year junior saw his first season as the starting LG (2016) cut short after three games by a broken fibula. Made four starts at LG in ’17 before starting all 14 at RT last season. “He’s not as light on his feet as Dillard but for a big guy he uses his length well,” a second scout said. “I think he can play any position on the line really besides center. Bends pretty well. Competes to the whistle. He’s tough.” According to one scout, the only negative was his penchant for drawing 15-yard penalties. “Big, physical pounder,” said a third scout. “If you’re in a power scheme you’re going to like him, but so many teams are zone blocking. I don’t think he fits every scheme.” From Pineville, La. “He’s not going before Dillard but I’d take him before Dillard,” a fourth scout said. “He’s a mean son of a gun.”

• Like (+1) 1

I guess most people are not as high on Dawkins as I am but I’m comfortable with him staying at LT. I’d be all in for a long term look at Dawkins and Ford as bookend tackles for the majority of Allen’s career.  I feel like both Tackles and the Center position are in good hands. From there have a wide open competition for both Guard spots and have at it. 

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Not sure if this has been posted

How can you not love this guy? This is my favourite pick in the McBeane era. This guy is nasty tough and a man to not be messed with. Put him at RG in between Morse and NSekhe and we will beat everyone up. Love this pick!!!!!!

Some of the reporting on Ford is contradictory. Some people say he's a road grader. Maybe they see a huge guy and figure he's a mauler (even if he's not) and therefore project him to guard. Others say his actual skill set is pass pro which maybe bodes well in a pass happy league. Somebody doesn't have it right here. Just goes to show that half the "experts" really don't know what they are talking about. Best to watch the tape and make up your own mind. I haven't watched all the tape, just highlight reel stuff and his Alabama game so I don't know what I'm talking about either but from what little I've seen he looks like he can run block (though not a road grader) and is better as a pass blocker (consistently snuffed out # 99 in the championship game). Some question around the quickness of his first lateral step so maybe some vulnerability to very quick outside speed rushers. He looks athletic for a big guy who can get to and be effective at the second level. 

Hes a good prospect ar RT IMO who will benefit from being coached up (like all of these guys). He seems to appreciate the importance of coaching (and therefore of learning) and he really likes our O-line coach who he knows and who obviously knows and likes him. 

16 hours ago, Success said:

Our line might be the most improved in NFL history

It won't even be the most improved line in the last year. Did you see how the Colts turned their line around? 

That said, I do like what they've done to the OL this year and it should be vastly improved.

Edited by MDH