RD 2, Pick 38: OT Cody Ford, Oklahoma

SDS

Just now, BigDingus said:

Just remember saying that later this season if Allen is still looking poor, not hitting targets and taking too many sacks.

Not saying you specifically will be one of these people, but if Allen starts to struggle, it won't be long before 1) the OC gets blamed, 2) the O-line gets blamed, and 3) the skill position players get blamed. But we've invested quite a bit this offseason into O-line, so it really looks like that's one less future excuse.

You’re gonna love Allen.  You’re right - no excuses now.  But he won’t need ‘em.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Seriously Joe. This is not the place for this.

Skill position players are a big question mark right now and it ain't getting fixed so far in the draft. There's certainly an argument to be made we should make a swing at a playmaker.

Just now, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Skill position players are a big question mark right now and it ain't getting fixed so far in the draft. There's certainly an argument to be made we should make a swing at a playmaker.

TAKE IT TO ANOTHER TOPIC. THIS ISNT THAT HARD. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Bills had a choice between Ford and Risner and they liked Ford better.  Ford was rated higher by Daniel Jeremiah on NFL Network.

Thank you Mr. Obvious.   I didn't think they picked Ford by accident. 

Just saying that I like Risner.   IMO he was the best available RT and would've been a good fit.  Hopefully Beane, Jeremaiah, etc, are correct and Ford turns out to be a long time starter for the Bills

A few reactions from local and national sports media:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/04/26/buffalo-bills-cody-ford-nfl-draft-trade-second-round-experts-positive-grades-mcshay-rapoport/3593927002/

Todd McShay, ESPN: "Why this makes sense for Buffalo, only Deshaun Watson was pressured more than Josh Allen."

Louis Riddick, ESPN: "As far as the run game is concerned, this guy just destroys people and that's what Buffalo wants."

Ian Rapoport, NFL Network: "The Bills traded up and take Oklahoma OT Cody Ford at No. 38. Surprised he lasted this long."

Jake Trotter, ESPN: "The Bills grabbed Ed Oliver and Cody Ford... and their trenches just got a lot nastier."

Joe Buscaglia, WKBW: The Bills signed a bunch of guys to their offensive line in free agency. The only sure thing is Mitch Morse. Cody Ford is now the second sure thing, whether it's at RT or at a guard spot."

Pro Football Focus Buffalo: "Welcome to Buffalo Cody Ford. Ford allowed only 7 total pressures in 2018 and didn't allow a sack until the college football playoffs!"
  • Like (+1) 7

Mannn I LOVE this pick!! Ford was a potential 1st, he’s healthy, versatile, and was a huge part of a winning program. Dude has kings blood in him. Also, it’s WAYYYY better to draft and develop your own D & O lineman then to sign them in Free-Agency. ALSO, building the lines makes things easier for Josh, Jerry, our LB’s DB’s and RB’s. It’s not flashy, it’s smart. And I appreciate a GM who isn’t playing message-board hero-ball with every pick. Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 3

Absolutely loving these first 2 picks. Got a top 5 talent yesterday and a top 25 talent so far today and only gave up a 5th rounder. Two immediate starters on both sides of the ball , just wow!

And Ford is another ol addition with a mean streak ????

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

TAKE IT TO ANOTHER TOPIC. THIS ISNT THAT HARD. 

I like the Ford pick. Mostly cause we traded up for an OT we wanted and I wanted an OT. I don't know much about Ford though. Do we like him? Is he good value? A reach? What do you think about Ford.

18 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Sure thing champ. I was talking about Beasley, brown and what's his name. But carry on with your expert analysis.

I had OL and DL 1 and 2.

I also predicted Rosen to Miami (waiting to happen)

and was anti Rosen this time last year

I compared JA to Favre a year ago based on analysis, and got flamed

I also liked Kyle Vander Esch over Edmunds, look it up

I'll keep on with my 'expert analysis'. Better than you taking a 3rd rounder in the first at 9.

and PS 'what's his name' was a top 10 WR in yards and catches in the last 6 weeks of the season.

Bonus Josh Allen likes to throw to him. With a decent OL he will have more time to find him.

Not rocket science.

That is why Cody Ford was a great pick.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I had OL and DL 1 and 2.

I also predicted Rosen to Miami (waiting to happen)

and was anti Rosen this time last year

I compared JA to Favre a year ago based on analysis, and got flamed

I also liked Kyle Vander Esch over Edmunds, look it up

I'll keep on with my 'expert analysis'. Better than you taking a 3rd rounder in the first at 9.

and PS 'what's his name' was a top 10 WR in yards and catches in the last 6 weeks of the season.

Bonus Josh Allen likes to throw to him. With a decent OL he will have more time to find him.

Not rocket science.

Take it easy. It's not really a fair fight.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Please explain, my friend Eps.

I am embarrassed that I don’t know, so please don’t tell anyone I asked.

Basically there are two different styles of run offense, zone based and gap-man based. Zone requires smaller, athletic linemen like Garrett Bradbury, Jason Kielce, Andy Levitre. They have to be able to movend get to adjacent linemen and cover space. Power gap schemes involve a lot of downblcoks and double teams and things of that nature. Big, slower linemen who can destroy the inside gap. Picture what we saw with Greg Roman a few years ago. 

Th Patriots ran power plays all the way to the super bowl and the Colts decimated our run defense doing the same. As defenses continue to get smaller players to play the pass it makes sense to draft massive linemen and smash the small players. I like the approach. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4