What do we need to accomplish on the OL in the next two days?

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Risner or Taylor would be great. I do think Max Scharping is the best left tackle prospect left. I really like his game. I think he could play the right side too. 

Perfect world, Risner to plug in at RG and Scharping to push Dawkins and Nsehke and to take over either in 2020. Risner round 2, Scharping 3/4. 

Then there are guys like Nate Davis etc still on the board. 

Sounds good.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

so if you draft two, that brings the total up to 15, plus good chance they sign some undrafted OL on Sunday.  So which 6 or 7 do you plan to cut?  And in doing so, while it may be good long term, it may weaken the line this year as now have two rookies that may not be ready to start, but now ended up cutting veteran depth to draft.

I'd prefer the other route as mentioned, draft one maybe for depth and let him sit.  One I'm good with two I feel is too many.  The line last year was so weak leaves question marks about Dawkins and Teller, so would rather get one more season of seeing how they develop first.  Assuming they improve to quality starter level and you likely will have Morse and Spain as two other starters long term, you might only need one more strong starter.  And understand that assumes they extend Spain.

You keep at least nine guys, probably ten. 

If I drafted Risner and Scharping my line would be

Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Risner-Nsekhe

Scharping-Waddle-Long-Feliciano

Teller probably makes it as a 10th guy. I cut everyone else Vlad, Bodine, Boettger, McDermott etc. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You keep at least nine guys, probably ten. 

If I drafted Risner and Scharping my line would be

Dawkins-Spain-Morse-Risner-Nsekhe

Scharping-Waddle-Long-Feliciano

Teller probably makes it as a 10th guy. I cut everyone else Vlad, Bodine, Boettger, McDermott etc. 

Most often teams keep 9 lineman at most, sometimes 8.  If they draft a TE which I think they will, that leaves potentially 4 TE's if they keep that guy Fisher believe is his name who's a converted lineman.  I could see them keeping him as a blocking TE but also emergency backup lineman. If they do that, then wouldn't be at all surprised they only keep 8 lineman.  Admittedly him making the team as a blocking TE may be along shot, but even without him, no guarantees they keep 9 and certainly not 10.   Think your cuts may need to go deeper!

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Most often teams keep 9 lineman at most, sometimes 8.  If they draft a TE which I think they will, that leaves potentially 4 TE's if they keep that guy Fisher believe is his name who's a converted lineman.  I could see them keeping him as a blocking TE but also emergency backup lineman. If they do that, then wouldn't be at all surprised they only keep 8 lineman.  Admittedly him making the team as a blocking TE may be along shot, but even without him, no guarantees they keep 9 and certainly not 10.   Think your cuts may need to go deeper!

They will not keep 8. They will definitely keep nine and maybe 10. They kept 9 last year and had ton of injuries and had to find street players like Jeremiah Sirles to make up for it. He started games for us and was our backup center after Bodine got hurt.This regime will not keep 8 because they are all about contingencies and they made a mistake by not being ready for line injuries last year. They won't make the same mistake twice. I don't worry about cuts going deep. If that happens, then that means we found better players, and that is a great thing.  

Your points on Fisher do make sense, but at 275 or whatever weight he is going to play at, he's not going to be able to play tackle anymore. IMO, they have one tight end on the roster who is a lock, and that is Tyler Kroft. I think that will be a very fluid position.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I'm curious as to what your expectations are for the acquiring OL in the next two days, against the backdrop of who we signed in the offseason and our other needs (WR, TE, etc.).  What is your take?

That's a good question, one I don't have an answer for, but curious to see what Beane does today.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

so if you draft two, that brings the total up to 15, plus good chance they sign some undrafted OL on Sunday.  So which 6 or 7 do you plan to cut?  And in doing so, while it may be good long term, it may weaken the line this year as now have two rookies that may not be ready to start, but now ended up cutting veteran depth to draft.

I'd prefer the other route as mentioned, draft one maybe for depth and let him sit.  One I'm good with two I feel is too many.  The line last year was so weak leaves question marks about Dawkins and Teller, so would rather get one more season of seeing how they develop first.  Assuming they improve to quality starter level and you likely will have Morse and Spain as two other starters long term, you might only need one more strong starter.  And understand that assumes they extend Spain.

You can trade OL too.  I wouldnt be surprised to see one or two of our FA OL signings get traded during camp.  Their deals are great and other teams might realize they need some help. 

I dont want to see how Dawkins and Teller develop any more.  I want them to have to compete and win a position. 

Long term your logic is assuming there is an extension for Spain and Teller works out.  I don't think they want to be tied to that.  This is supposed to be a sneaky good tackle class so I would recommend getting one as that is the position you still assume they need a starter.

I don’t think the team needs to go O-line but if the value is there at pick 40 or later 2ndround or early 3rd(I think a trade up to the back end of round 2 will happen it fits the teams draft pattern thus far) then I think either a guard or tackle would be nice. I do however think that the more pressing need is to add a pass catcher on offense. Brown, Beasley, and Kroft were nice but neither of the three put fear into the heart of a defense, I am not sure what Zay or Foster do either. I don’t think this team goes for DK unless he falls deep into the second round. 

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Byron Murphy or Greedy Williams drafted by this team at pick 40 if either fall (I don’t think Murphy falls but there is an outside chance Williams does.) My dream scenario is that the Bills stay at 40 and get a top tackle prospect like Taylor or Ford to fall and then DK falls to around pick 55 where the team trades up and give Josh both a top level of protection and a deep threat at receiver. The team can then address linebacker and other depth needs in round 4 and 5 where they should still at least have 1 pick remaining in each round after a trade up. 

50 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They will not keep 8. They will definitely keep nine and maybe 10. They kept 9 last year and had ton of injuries and had to find street players like Jeremiah Sirles to make up for it. He started games for us and was our backup center after Bodine got hurt.This regime will not keep 8 because they are all about contingencies and they made a mistake by not being ready for line injuries last year. They won't make the same mistake twice. I don't worry about cuts going deep. If that happens, then that means we found better players, and that is a great thing.  

Your points on Fisher do make sense, but at 275 or whatever weight he is going to play at, he's not going to be able to play tackle anymore. IMO, they have one tight end on the roster who is a lock, and that is Tyler Kroft. I think that will be a very fluid position.

I'm fine with a OL starter at #40.  Teller and or Waddle would be expendable if talent notches up significantly.

I will repeat myself and say offense needs to take priority at #40.

There will be a lot of better than good potential O players left.

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

Strong possibility we draft an O lineman with our next pick.

3 of the top 8 graded players (excluding QB or C) left for our pick at #8 are tackles with one being a hybrid G/T.

I disagree with the notion of some in this thread that we should draft the C/G to be a backup and compete for the other G spot, we already have one of those and can get a starter with our pick.

The other 5 top graded players are 4 WRs (including DK) and a 1st round talent CB in Greedy Williams.  Even the 9th graded player is another CB.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'd like to pick up an early Tackle and late Guard. Beyond that, I'd like a TE that can block like Moreau or Nauta

As much as everyone wants a receiving tight end with upside, I still believe there's something to the fact that Nauta was one of the only  tight ends they brought in for an official visit. Not sure if some of the bigger names eventually got the invite since the initial list, but I know Nauta was the first. It seems a little strange that a mid to late round guy would get an OV if the team wasn't really high on him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

3 of the top 8 graded players (excluding QB or C) left for our pick at #8 are tackles with one being a hybrid G/T.

I disagree with the notion of some in this thread that we should draft the C/G to be a backup and compete for the other G spot, we already have one of those and can get a starter with our pick.

The other 5 top graded players are 4 WRs (including DK) and a 1st round talent CB in Greedy Williams.  Even the 9th graded player is another CB.

I agree,  we should expect a high 2nd round pick to compete for a starting position.

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Well if they keep ten lineman to not be caught short in case of injuries, then they running the risk of being short in some other position.  Take your pick, what position do you want ot take the chance on being short on? I don't recall seeing many teams carrying 10 lineman