What do we need to accomplish on the OL in the next two days?

Because of the talent acquired on that side of the line in the off-season, I think we can afford to take a prospect that can sit behind some of these veterans and learn. That may not mandate that we take an o-lineman in the 2nd, or even 3rd, round. The front office may just see a guy that sitting there has a great prospect for two years down the road with growth

• Like (+1) 1

I think Risner or Taylor would be great. I do think Max Scharping is the best left tackle prospect left. I really like his game. I think he could play the right side too. 

Perfect world, Risner to plug in at RG and Scharping to push Dawkins and Nsehke and to take over either in 2020. Risner round 2, Scharping 3/4. 

Then there are guys like Nate Davis etc still on the board. 

• Like (+1) 5

Great topic.  Here is my OL draft board at the moment: 

Ford.  Best OT left.  

McCoy.  Would be the top center in other years.  Also starts at Guard for us while backing up Moorse.  If Moorse gets injured, we don't want Bodine coming back.  

Risner (can also play backup center) 

Scharping 

McGovern (same as McCoy, backup center/Guard)

Samiu (toss-up between him and McGovern).   

I do not want Little or Taylor.  Too many red flags.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Ford.  Best OT left.  

McCoy.  Would be the top center in other years.  Also starts at Guard for us while backing up Moorse.  If Moorse gets injured, we don't want Bodine coming back.  

Scharping 

I forgot about McGovern. I like him a lot too. I feel like McCoy may go before our pick. He's good value here. 

• Like (+1) 1

Little to nothing, at least today... I don't care what next offseason looks like, you don't sign 6 FA offensive linemen -- with at least 2 viable candidates already on your roster -- just to use a top 50 pick on yet another one. Especially when you're trying to dispel the notion that FAs don't like signing with you...

Draft a developmental tackle in the 4th or 5th, or if somebody like McCoy plummets to just absurd value, then cool. But there are much more important needs to fill with the talent available to do it today. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I'm curious as to what your expectations are for the acquiring OL in the next two days, against the backdrop of who we signed in the offseason and our other needs (WR, TE, etc.).  What is your take?

UDFA C James O'Hagan for depth.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Strong possibility we draft an O lineman with our next pick.

Risner should be a no brainer. Instant starter. Incognito attitude w process level mental stability.

19 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I'm begging for Dalton Risner at #40. Cody Ford would be a nice consolation prize.

Exactly. He's a no brainer.

37 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Ford.  Best OT left.  

Scharping 

I like McCoy a lot, Risner is nice as well.Ford is good as well. I said it in another thread, but knowing that next year's OL class looks to be bad (and WR very good), I think that makes us place a higher emphasis on OL this year and push WR need a bit to next year. We love to have the C/G type player versatility.

Ford is a great choice too!

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Risner or Taylor would be great. I do think Max Scharping is the best left tackle prospect left. I really like his game. I think he could play the right side too. 

Perfect world, Risner to plug in at RG and Scharping to push Dawkins and Nsehke and to take over either in 2020. Risner round 2, Scharping 3/4. 

Then there are guys like Nate Davis etc still on the board. 

so if you draft two, that brings the total up to 15, plus good chance they sign some undrafted OL on Sunday.  So which 6 or 7 do you plan to cut?  And in doing so, while it may be good long term, it may weaken the line this year as now have two rookies that may not be ready to start, but now ended up cutting veteran depth to draft.

I'd prefer the other route as mentioned, draft one maybe for depth and let him sit.  One I'm good with two I feel is too many.  The line last year was so weak leaves question marks about Dawkins and Teller, so would rather get one more season of seeing how they develop first.  Assuming they improve to quality starter level and you likely will have Morse and Spain as two other starters long term, you might only need one more strong starter.  And understand that assumes they extend Spain.

Reason I want Dalton Risner, Michael Deiter or Connor McGovern because not only can they play G but they can also play C and with Mitch Morse concussion issues it'd be nice to have a guy who can slide over in a pitch.

Deiter could play all three interior spots and Risner could play every spot except LT.

• Like (+1) 1