Bill Polian on Sirius NFL channel

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

As usual with you...Bupkis!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11654158/manning-leaf-1998-draft

"The next day, Jim Mora and I met and I said, "Where are you with the quarterbacks?"

"I'm with Peyton," he said.

"I'm the same way. If we believe in all the things that we both think are important for a winning football team, then it's Peyton."

"Yeah, you're right."

After that, I met with Jim Irsay.

"What's your decision?" he said.

"The decision is unanimous," I said. "It's Peyton."

So if Leaf acted like Manning predraft, who would have Polian drafted?  Even Pat McAfee agreed that only reason Manning was drafted was because Leaf didn't show up.

Point is, Polian scouted Leaf and thought he was the better football player.

I have never understood why there are so many Bills fans that hate Polian. He built the best team the Bills have ever had. He's super old now and shares his opinions about football, because that's his life's work. Good for him.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I have never understood why there are so many Bills fans that hate Polian. He built the best team the Bills have ever had. He's super old now and shares his opinions about football, because that's his life's work. Good for him.

Well it doesn't make for good radio.  He might has well just said "F*** all you idiots", and then hang up.

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Well it doesn't make for good radio.  He might has well just said "F*** all you idiots", and then hang up.

Sounds like awesome radio. In fact, it got you to start a topic about it to continue the discussion without him.

6 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

So if Leaf acted like Manning predraft, who would have Polian drafted?  Even Pat McAfee agreed that only reason Manning was drafted was because Leaf didn't show up.

Point is, Polian scouted Leaf and thought he was the better football player.

But he still went with Manning, so what is the point? He took into account the total package...

4 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

It’s sad. He should have retired in the 90’s and walked away from the game. He would have been respected, wealthy and maintained a greater degree of mental health had he done so. Now he’s just a sad and bitter old fool.

He couldn't stay humble.    It caught up with him everywhere.  And his ego really took him to complete sh*tsville as an evaluator by the early 2000's and he left that Colts team with a bare cupboard.    Corporate raider GM who over stays his welcome.    It was actually time for him to go in Buffalo.   Butler did a bang up job fixing a lot of the things that were atrophying under Polian.

He deserves credit for his aggressiveness on the upswing of organizations but once teams got good he got rabbit ears and seemed to do dumb things to spite his critics.

Like not replacing Jeff Wright with a real NT. :doh:   Or Kelso. :doh:  He rode Norwood about 3 years too long.:doh:  Not pursuing Charles Haley might have been the most inexcusable though.    The last team the Niners wanted to trade him to was the Cowboys.    I still get a red head thinking about the day that trade went down.:censored:    

Polian was just so obstinate that they won HIS WAY and sure they were going to get a lucky SB matchup at some point before their window closed.    Then FA happened.    He pulled the same sh*t in Indy but finally got lucky and drew a Rex Grossman lead Bears team and got his sole ring. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I heard the whole thing on the way to the gym...I think you left out some key parts.  He stated that the media pundits have access to about 20% of the information teams use to evaluate prospects and even former scouts and GMs like him have tops 40%.  The medical records, psychological tests, and personality profiles are all confidential information and critical to evaluating the prospect. 

I agree he sounded like an old arrogant prick when pointing this out -- but he speaks the truth.

He also stated that he doesn't believe in a reach...and he gave some great data:

30-year study:

57% of first round picks become productive starters

43% of second round picks become productive starters

30% of third-round picks become productive starters

20% of fourth-round picks become productive starters

Lesson don't accumulate picks -- but focus on where you get productive starters.

I thought it was some of the best draft analysis I have heard in quite some time...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

I heard the whole thing on the way to the gym...I think you left out some key parts.  He stated that the media pundits have access to about 20% of the information teams use to evaluate prospects and even former scouts and GMs like him have tops 40%.  The medical records, psychological tests, and personality profiles are all confidential information and critical to evaluating the prospect. 

I agree he sounded like an old arrogant prick when pointing this out -- but he speaks the truth.

He also stated that he doesn't believe in a reach...and he gave some great data:

30-year study:

Lesson don't accumulate picks -- but focus on where you get productive starters.

I thought it was some of the best draft analysis I have heard in quite some time...

I must have turned it off in anger, before the 30 year study numbers.  I just felt bad for Murray the way Polian was ranting.  He didn't seem to know whether to cut him off, or let him ramble on.

Just now, LabattBlue said:

I must have turned it off in anger, before the 30 year study numbers.  I just felt bad for Murray the way Polian was ranting.  He didn't seem to know whether to cut him off, or let him ramble on.

He did sound like Statler and Waldorf all rolled into one freaking arrogant bastage....you are dead on there my friend.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

This why I think its essential they package some of those 4th and 5th round picks to move up in the 2nd and 3rd...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Lurker said:

This why I think its essential they package some of those 4th and 5th round picks to move up in the 2nd and 3rd...

Total agreement Lurker.  Get back into the bottom of the second by packaging the 3rd, 4th and 5th.  He stated that the difference between a good UDFA that fell for no reason and a 5th round pick is basically single-digit percentages and that, of course, HE WAS THE BEST at finding UDFA...

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

I like him. Maybe more now than when he was our GM.

Canton doesn’t just haphazardly put an administrator in the Hall. He’s there. Are any of you?

I love what he did for the Bills, but I can also see why his shelf life with a team is about 5-7 years.  His personality seems abrasive, insufferable and arrogant and I should know because that describes me...  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I like him. Maybe more now than when he was our GM.

Canton doesn’t just haphazardly put an administrator in the Hall. He’s there. Are any of you?

Does his HoF status allow him to act like a jackass on the radio?

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

What a miserable condescending prick.  He just went on a 10 minute tirade at the start of a show with Bruce Murray about how GM’s, Player Personnel Directors and HC’s are the only ones who really know about prospects....oh and of course he knows.  

Everyone else knows a fraction of everything draft related.  

Just comes off as a bitter old man. 

How is Murray now supposed to to a 4 hour draft show with callers, when you are working with a guy who just said...all you idiots know nothing.  

Clearly he forgot the experts at Cover1.com LOL