the little bit I've seen of Ed Oliver off the field reminds me of this guy

6 minutes ago, D521646 said:

The Randle analogy is more accurate than Donald, IMO, and I'm perfectly ok with that. :)

One of my all time favorite none Bill!

Tim-

I'm not talking about on-the-field play.  It's more about the overall attitude he seems to have: a bit crazy (in a good way!). Randle was like that too.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not talking about on-the-field play.  It's more about the overall attitude he seems to have: a bit crazy (in a good way!). Randle was like that too.

We have missed a player like that for quite awhile IMO. We need that juice on this team

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

We have missed a player like that for quite awhile IMO. We need that juice on this team

For sure. "Juice" is not antithetical to football character. As a matter of fact, it's a very good thing if properly harnessed. Look at the 90's Bills. They had "characters" out the wazoo! It's really the last time you could say that about a Bills team.

As an aside, it was awesome to see a guy so enthused to be drafted by Buffalo. I know a lot of the negative pub is overblown, but Oliver was just brimming with enthusiasm. Very refreshing.

• Like (+1) 2

Sapp, Randle, and Donald are all the comps to Oliver, a smaller but quick and powerful DT for a 4-3 scheme. I would also compare him to Tommy Harris who played for the Bears in the mid to late 00's. Harris was a smaller DT who was a quick penetrating disruptor. Made several Pro-Bowls and an All-Pro team and was a key cog in their 2006 NFC title. Harris probably would have been better in this era than in his own when teams ran the ball much more. 

If the Bills get some sort of approximation of those kinds of disruptive DT's I think they will be just fine with this Oliver pick. Star and H.Phillips can do the nasty dirty work in the run game while Oliver and Jordan Phillips do the disruptive work. It is also good to have a blue chip young player on the D-line for the future of the team as outside of Shaq (an underperforming player) and H.Phillips (coming off a so so rookie year) there isn't much youth on the D-line. Now with Oliver you have a young player in the mix there. 

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

There's only one legitimate comparison I can make after reading this board about Ed Oliver.  He's Bill Brasky. 

I agree. Did I ever tell you about the time I went horseback riding with Ed Oliver, but there weren’t any horses around? Well, Ed throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn’t you know it, my stamina increases with each day and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, Ed decides to enter me in the Breeders’ Cup, right, under the name Turkish Delight. And I’m running in second place, and I’m running and I break my ankle! They’re about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, ‘Don’t shoot him, he’s a human.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1