Albright when asked where DK goes...

27 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Metcalf played 2 games in his freshman year, then injured his foot.  Had 650 yards the next season as a redshirt freshman.  As redshirt sophomore he had 570 yards, then a season ending neck injury in game 7, then declared for the NFL draft.

Not overly impressive stats. Injury prone.  Less than two full seasons of college ball.  

Why are some so in love with this guy?

DK is roughly 1-2 years younger than most of the other WR prospects; he was just 19 when he put up those 650 yards. That's very rare; ranked in the 72nd percentile of NFL receivers in terms of his breakout age. So while the numbers itself aren't that big (besides this most recent season when he was on pace for over 1000 yards), he's shown promise at a younger age than most of the other guys in this class. Combine that with his size/speed, ability to beat press coverage (which might be the best in the class), and his sheer acceleration (most big guys that are fast take awhile to get up to top speed, whereas his 10-yard split relative to his size is the best we've seen in at least a decade), and you have as good a deep threat as we've seen in quite some time who also has two years to catch up to his peers in the categories that he's currently lacking in.

And in the case of the Bills specifically, there's very few WRs in this draft that make sense as a fit in the X spot in the offense. It's basically DK, Harmon, Arcega-Whiteside, Boykin, and then a guy like Jamal Custis late on Day 3, so he fits a need that very few other WRs can fit while also being a very good prospect regardless of fit IMO.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

They badly need OL and the next crop is going to go quickly here (right after the CBs). They have Kirk and Fitz (for this upcoming season) and their OL was worse than ours

And next years OL crop is reportedly weak.

I'm not sure what their feeling is with regard to OL though.

I am sure they would have loved to get a Tytus Howard type and make him their LT but how much do they value the mostly RT and G spots that are left?

There is a school of thought in the NFL that most OL entering the league are pretty worthless until year 3 or 4 anyway so combine that with bust odds and the fact that they signed 6 vets in UFA and maybe they won't be running to turn in the card for a guy like Risner.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It's his size/speed combination. Even in the NFL, I can't think of a DB that matches up well solo. You've got guys that can keep up with him, but they aren't big enough to compete physically, and then you have guys who can compete with him physically, but they can't keep up with him. He's a medical risk and a projection, and that's why teams didn't jump earlier, but he's a very worthwhile project imo.

Admittedly, Greedy had a very good game against him, but I do put part of that on the Ole Miss offense - unless they were content with DK occupying Greedy to open up everything else.

I’d prefer AJ Brown, but won’t slit my wrists if we get Metcalf.

With those two WRs still available, along with OT Jawaan Taylor and TE Irv Smith, I’m pretty confident we’ll get one of them.

Most players defenses "must account for" only after they have proven they can beat you. Imo, in this offense, with the way Josh can scramble and throw it out of the stadium, DK would be a player defenses must account for before he proves he cannot beat you. He would be scary. Teams were worried about Foster late last year shading safeties over toward him after he had only a couple big plays because they were scared of Josh as much or more than Foster. Foster just proved he could catch the ball downfield a few times. 

I didnt want Metcalf at 9 but very warming up to him now, even if they have to throw in a mid to late rounder to move up a few slots. He could really open up the field for Beasley and Foster and Shady and Yeldon just by presence and as a rookie. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, The Senator said:

I’d prefer AJ Brown, but won’t slit my wrists if we get Metcalf.

With those two WRs still available, along with OT Jawaan Taylor and TE Irv Smith, I’m pretty confident we’ll get one of them.

AJ is a safer pick IMO, but he's more of the same with the skillsets we have here. I don't think we're in on Irv Smith, personally- he seems a lot like Charles Clay as in more hybrid H-Back type than true TE. I think we're targeting a physical freak at WR (Metcalf, Boykin, Butler). At TE I think the guys are Dawson Knox & Josh Oliver. It'll be real interesting if Metcalf, Cody Ford, & Jaylon Ferguson all make it to 40 imo.

Let's do this!! 

Trade with Arizona into pick 32. Give up #40 and a 4th and 5th round pick, and lets not let him get away. 1st round talent that we can get in the 2nd round. If we ended up with both Oliver & Metcalf, this is the best roster we've had in  a VERY long time!!

Edited by elltrain22

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I also have a feeling that Ferguson will be the pick at 40 if he’s there.

I have a weird feeling that we take a safety. Can't help but think it's kind of weird that we brought Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and Juan Thornhill in for official visits and those two are both perfect fits in this defense in the same way that Micah Hyde was/is and Hyde's contract has an out at the end of this season.

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And next years OL crop is reportedly weak.

I'm not sure what their feeling is with regard to OL though.

I am sure they would have loved to get a Tytus Howard type and make him their LT but how much do they value the mostly RT and G spots that are left?

There is a school of thought in the NFL that most OL entering the league are pretty worthless until year 3 or 4 anyway so combine that with bust odds and the fact that they signed 6 vets in UFA and maybe they won't be running to turn in the card for a guy like Risner.

I love Morse - my favorite FA signing and my #1 target! He does have an injury history, Bodine sucks. I would love Erik McCoy who can play G/C, Risner, Cody Ford. I think we love the C/G type players; simple way to have depth & you can free up spots for other positions.

You are exactly correct with OL taking a few years to develop, if you can get good value and draft them in a round where they aren't counted on the start right away, you can really work on their development. I would say you should take a CB and OL every year, can never really have enough of either position IMO. 

Thinking long term, and this is just a thought, but you have to take into account the 2020 class. If you know you have a weakness on OL (and really have no clue on how the OL work be with all of these new additions) and you know that next class is expected to be weak - do you push the positional priority up? I'm not speaking in terms of straight up player evals/talent to cause a reach on talent, but most boards have the positional premium element factored in.

Does the same logic work for WRs - if you have RD2 or lower grades on all of them, and next years class is expected to be really good - do you devalue that need now and elevate the weaker one? At that point, do you swing for the depth at the TE class?

I hope this makes sense LOL

Edit: I do like DK in this rd fwiw

Edited by Reed83HOF

19 minutes ago, Lofton80 said:

Badobilz nailed it. I think they go after another defensive player. They love Jaylon Ferguson. I think he will be the pick if still there.

Legit question -- can you show me where you're seeing that they "love" Jaylon Ferguson?

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

DK is roughly 1-2 years younger than most of the other WR prospects; he was just 19 when he put up those 650 yards. That's very rare; ranked in the 72nd percentile of NFL receivers in terms of his breakout age. So while the numbers itself aren't that big (besides this most recent season when he was on pace for over 1000 yards), he's shown promise at a younger age than most of the other guys in this class. Combine that with his size/speed, ability to beat press coverage (which might be the best in the class), and his sheer acceleration (most big guys that are fast take awhile to get up to top speed, whereas his 10-yard split relative to his size is the best we've seen in at least a decade), and you have as good a deep threat as we've seen in quite some time who also has two years to catch up to his peers in the categories that he's currently lacking in.

And in the case of the Bills specifically, there's very few WRs in this draft that make sense as a fit in the X spot in the offense. It's basically DK, Harmon, Arcega-Whiteside, Boykin, and then a guy like Jamal Custis late on Day 3, so he fits a need that very few other WRs can fit while also being a very good prospect regardless of fit IMO.

Yeah people act like he's Breshad Perriman............he's not.........his ceiling and floor are higher.

Perfect fit for Allen and as you said........a NEED..........a physical AND fast X WR they do not have.

Adding a guy like DK allows Foster or Brown to stay at a Z position and in theory teams will have to choose where to provide deep help..........if they provide it to DK's side then Brown and Foster are going to see more off coverage and have some more room to operate and not take as much of a pounding.    If they don't roll toward DK then Allen gets to see how far they can stretch the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Just feel AJ is what he is. A slot guy with minimal separation and has most likely peaked. Metcalf is a projection to elite receivers. Much more risk but much more reward. 

Do you know something none of the other draft gurus know? AJ is quick and gets separation but he just doesnt have elite top end speed. He had over 1200 yards each of his last two seasons. I dont want the Bills to pick DK or AJ but that doesnt mean they are bad players. If the Bills decide to go WR in the 2nd my pick would be Kelvin Harmon.  I wouldnt be surprised if the Bills went OT or CB in the 2nd since a lot of talent is still there.