2019 NFL Draft - Day 1 Debrief

Gunner props here.  Enjoy your day!

Risner is a likely pick at 40 as can play OT/OG/C and contribute immediately too.  Winowich or Ferguson in play - Winowich can play DE or Zo's position as better athlete.

WR Metcalf or AJ Brown in play here too.  Don't think they do TE til next pick.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm thinking we will stay put and draft the best player that falls. If we liked anyone enough to trade up we would have already done it with the Rams. Wouldn't surprise me if there are 10 or more players the Bills would be happy to draft at 40.

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The idea of drafting Greedy and putting Tre in his ear all offseason is really really tempting.

While I like greedy for many teams, the Bills are not one of them.  His tackling is below average for a college corner.  McD likes corners that can bring it vs the run

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm thinking we will stay put and draft the best player that falls. If we liked anyone enough to trade up we would have already done it with the Rams. Wouldn't surprise me if there are 10 or more players the Bills would be happy to draft at 40.

Agree. Actually think a small move back might happen. 

Imagine if we get to 40 and you still have 3 of the top corners, Ford and Risner, Brown or Metcalf, Irv Smith and Jaylon Ferguson there. If someone offers you a pick to slide back 5 or 6 spots there you do it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed. If we are moving up tonight I don't think it will involve pick #40. If there are enough guys we want left on the board I could see trying to get another 2nd round pick though.

• Like (+1) 2

Kind of thought there would be more of a run on Secondary guys in the early 20s but I think Pitt move up put the kibosh on that and then Seattle/Indy traded out. There are a lot of nice secondary guys that could still fall into the Bills lap and I wouldn't be upset if they took one or traded back. I think round 3 is the sweet spot for TE if they decide to go that way for an offensive skill position. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Kind of thought there would be more of a run on Secondary guys in the early 20s but I think Pitt move up put the kibosh on that and then Seattle/Indy traded out. There are a lot of nice secondary guys that could still fall into the Bills lap and I wouldn't be upset if they took one or traded back. I think round 3 is the sweet spot for TE if they decide to go that way for an offensive skill position. 

I'm holding out hope that we trade for an additional 2nd rounder, but if we stand pat I think DK & Dawson Knox would be really nice.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm holding out hope that we trade for an additional 2nd rounder, but if we stand pat I think DK & Dawson Knox would be really nice.

I'd be happy if the Bills stand pat and are able to grab DK, I still think he could fall to them. At this point I wouldn't move up to him or a WR, unless it seems like their may be a run? Stay put. 

I like Dawson Knox, he'd be a nice grab in the 3rd or my guy is Josh Oliver... we get to draft 2 Oliver's in this draft!

• Like (+1) 1

I had Quinnen and Bosa flipped so I didn't even get the first 3 exactly right. Ended up with 3 perfect matches on the night: Kyler, Devin White (who I think was pretty obvious), and Garrett Bradbury. I had 4 others where I got the correct player/team match, but they got them at a different spot than I expected (Haskins, Jacobs, Savage, and Daniel Jones). And then I had 3 additional guys where I had their draft position perfectly pegged but got the team wrong (Devin Bush, Christian Wilkins, and Montez Sweat).

24 of my guys ended up going in the 1st round with the outsiders being DK, Greedy, Rock Ya-Sin, Lock, AJ Brown, Cody Ford, and Deebo Samuel.

I got 16/32 team/position combos correctly, which I feel like is pretty solid until I look at WalterFootball's Charlie Campbell who had ELEVEN perfect picks (and 12 if you include he had Houston taking Tytus Howard in the 2nd round).

At the end of the day, we came away with my #1 hopeful choice at #9 and the #2 choice (DK) is still available. On top of DK being available, my entire top 5 WRs are all available; needless to say, I'm very happy with how things are situated right now. I'd probably be trying to trade up for DK at this point (assuming the medicals aren't an issue, which, who knows?) just because I think he fits a need at WR in a way that none of the other WRs I'm high on do, but I would guess that Beane sees all the receiving talent still out there and doesn't feel much pressure to move up.

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I got 16/32 team/position combos correctly, which I feel like is pretty solid until I look at WalterFootball's Charlie Campbell who had ELEVEN perfect picks (and 12 if you include he had Houston taking Tytus Howard in the 2nd round).

Walter & the site get a lot of flak, but Charlie has some legit sources and good intel. I hate their position rankings, but I do appreciate Charlie's mocks.

• Like (+1) 2

Good post. Here were my quick hit thoughts last night after the 1st round, which I put into another thread.

Quick thoughts from round 1:

Gruden's pick 4 curveball. Seems like quite a reach.

Giants selecting Daniel Jones at 6. ALSO seems like quite a reach.

The above two things combined to make the Oliver to Bills outcome possible. Thanks Gruden and Gettleman!

So glad I don't have to worry about Rashan Gary any more.

So glad I don't have to spend any more mental energy on whether Jonah Williams is a tackle or a guard.

TJ Hockenson, we hardly knew ye.

Falcons were bummed that Dolphins took Wilkins. Atlanta stuck to their board, took Lindstrom at guard. Fans were not pleased.

First one team jumped in front of poor Houston, but didn't take a tackle. Then a SECOND team jumped in front of Houston, and this one DID take a tackle. Houston was stuck reaching for Dillard because they HAD to have a tackle. See "painting yourself into a corner and having to draft for need".

Brian Burns to Panthers is a perfect fit.

N'Keal Harry to Patriots really surprised me.

I thought the Raiders draft stunk from top to bottom. I don't see any of the three guys they drafted being true difference makers.

Onto round 2!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Good post. Here were my quick hit thoughts last night after the 1st round, which I put into another thread.

Quick thoughts from round 1:

Gruden's pick 4 curveball. Seems like quite a reach.

Giants selecting Daniel Jones at 6. ALSO seems like quite a reach.

The above two things combined to make the Oliver to Bills outcome possible. Thanks Gruden and Gettleman!

So glad I don't have to worry about Rashan Gary any more.

So glad I don't have to spend any more mental energy on whether Jonah Williams is a tackle or a guard.

TJ Hockenson, we hardly knew ye.

Falcons were bummed that Dolphins took Wilkins. Atlanta stuck to their board, took Lindstrom at guard. Fans were not pleased.

First one team jumped in front of poor Houston, but didn't take a tackle. Then a SECOND team jumped in front of Houston, and this one DID take a tackle. Houston was stuck reaching for Dillard because they HAD to have a tackle. See "painting yourself into a corner and having to draft for need".

Brian Burns to Panthers is a perfect fit.

N'Keal Harry to Patriots really surprised me.

I thought the Raiders draft stunk from top to bottom. I don't see any of the three guys they drafted being true difference makers.

Onto round 2!

The Raiders picks are a big head scratcher. I do like the Josh Jacobs pick, they only had Richard as a RB. 

Good summary Gunner. I still worry about DK as a number receiver.  He is a one trick pony but I certainly get why it would be a good value pick in the second.  Lots of good players. For Receiver, I like Hakeem Butler and A.J. brown better than Metcalf.  I also get why you take the T from Florida.  And even though it’s our last need, Murphy from Washington is tough.   Honestly, the second and third rounds will be more exciting. Last night was a snooze fest.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

To me 1 of Murphy, Ferguson, or Risner are the most obvious adds. Either that or one of the receivers. I'm excited about teh amount of talent...now don't go off the board and draft Torrell Troup. 

Per Tim Grahm:  "don't step on a rake, Buffalo".

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Agreed. If we are moving up tonight I don't think it will involve pick #40. If there are enough guys we want left on the board I could see trying to get another 2nd round pick though.

No.  We don't have enough to move our 3rd round pick up to the 2nd round.

round 2  #40         500 points

round 3  #74         225 points

4      #112             78

4      #131              41

5       #147              32           

5        #151              31

Both our 4th and both our 5th add up to 175 points.

To move our 3rd to the middle of the 2nd round takes 195 points.

You could move up to the 18th pick in the 2nd round, but would miss out on probably all the players that people have been talking about in this thread

Our top 4th round pick could move us up to the 28th pick in the 2nd round, but I don't know if there is somebody there we want.

Thanks for the update!

I agree on Rock...........I was surprised to hear the growing hype on him..........I thought he kinda' struggled with Deebo at the Senior Bowl practices.........he's a nice prospect but raw and having a couple years to grow without first round pressure is better for him, IMO.  

I won't be surprised if they take Ya-Sin if he's there today but too early for me.    Always been a 3rd or later IMO.

Obviously I want Metcalf.    I value two plays more than anything in football........the deep ball and the sack.     Significantly improved their team sack outlook with Oliver.    Need the HR hitter for Allen to feed.    

But there are A LOT of McBeane fits left on the board even if Metcalf makes it to #40.  

I doubt they want to trade up in round 2 either.

I think they'd probably rather use those 4th and 5th round picks to move up in rounds 3-5.   You can move up a lot more picks with those chips if you use them in that area of the draft.    Moving up for Ragnuts cost them two 4th's I don't know if there is anyone so high on their board versus the others available that they want to do that.    Might want to do it for a TE or OL or pass rusher in round 3 though.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

That is a terrific write-up Gunner.  The best I have see or heard so far.

it was highly unusual that I got 5 out of the first 10 right although 1-3 were almost no-brained, so there is that.

i love our opportunities tonight with so many first round talents still on the board.  I am intrigued by the possibility of White and Williams playing at CB but don’t think it will happen.  Risner, Ferguson, Metcalf, Ford, Brown, Taylor...this will be so much fun to watch it unfold.