Who to draft on Day 2

19 minutes ago, Yav said:

I think the Bills can work with him on that, kid can cover and if he can be a shut down guy thats just as good as tackling. 

If it was as simple as that, he still wouldn't be sitting in the green room at the start of day 2 of the draft.

53 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I haven't seen this addressed, and am curious as to what others think. I'm under the impression that while college to pro transition is difficult, it is most difficult for OL and WR. (QB aside, as that is a whole different animal). It seems to me that the Bills were most active in signing FA's  this year in these two groups. Is it possible that they are willing to let other NFL teams be a training ground for their eventual WR's and OL, and they will concentrate their draft pix on position groups where the pix can make a much quicker contribution? I realize we had huge needs with these two groups, but perhaps draft strategy is affected by transition difficulty. Thoughts?

I would be amazed if that was their reasoning.

I think it is more that they simply don't value the positions as highly as other staffs do.   As was the case with Sammy Watkins and Bob Woods.    They don't want to spend money in either of those two positions with the exception of Center perhaps because of the importance of Center-QB relationship.

FWIW, considering Charlie Campbell got a crazy 11 picks right last night (without even attempting to guess at trades for that matter), for tonight he has Buffalo taking Riley Ridley at 40 and Yodny Cajuste at 74. Has 4 WRs being taken in the 33-39 range before it gets to us.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If Byron Murphy is there at 40 I think the Bills would have a tough time passing on him. Not to say I would - I am jonesing for offense too

Teams don't draft like fans. They aren't just thinking about this year, especially after round 1. CB looks good right now but Gaines and Johnson are on one year deals, and Wallace didn't show enough last year to earn any kind of long term commitment. If the best player available is a CB they'll take him for the future.

• Like (+1) 1

OT - Risner, Taylor, Ford

G - Dru Samia, Elgton Jenkins, Erik Mccoy, Michael Dieter - TONS of good guards available

TE - Irv Smith Jr., Jace Sternberger

WR - DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler, 

EDGE - Chase Winovich, Jaylon Ferguson

CB - Julian Love, Amani Oruwariye, Greedy Williams, Rock Ya-Sin

25 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I would be amazed if that was their reasoning.

I think it is more that they simply don't value the positions as highly as other staffs do.   As was the case with Sammy Watkins and Bob Woods.    They don't want to spend money in either of those two positions with the exception of Center perhaps because of the importance of Center-QB relationship.

fair enough, but if they don't value OL highly, we're screwed

31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If it was as simple as that, he still wouldn't be sitting in the green room at the start of day 2 of the draft.

I'm just saying with safety help the tackling may not be a big concern. 

LSU seems to always turn out great defensive players and their corners are always solid. 

He's just a player I like in the second round. 

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

FWIW, considering Charlie Campbell got a crazy 11 picks right last night (without even attempting to guess at trades for that matter), for tonight he has Buffalo taking Riley Ridley at 40 and Yodny Cajuste at 74. Has 4 WRs being taken in the 33-39 range before it gets to us.

I know everybody hates walter football, but Charlie did better than all the experts. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe but we already have Levi Wallace who can cover and not tackle 

I just like Greedy. I don't see the Bills drafting a CB right now.

Safe bet would be OL or TE.

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

Better being the operative word. Not sure he'll ever be a high-end starter though. 

I don't think DE is the spot to focus on here (or possibly at all, in this draft), but if we look later, a guy like Crosby, Ximines or Joe Jackson probably makes the most sense.

Based on the depth of the draft I think youre on it.  We need someone to develop but I like the 2nd 4th we have to pick Crosby.  I want the next 3 to be offense with a tackle and TE

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I said this last night, but I think Bills fans need to prepare for the very real possibility that the 2nd round pick is spent on a DB.

They had Juan Thornhill and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson both in for visits. They also love Rock Ya-Sin and Byron Murphy.

McDermott wants to run the Big Nickel with someone better and more dangerous than Rafael Bush. Don't be shocked to hear a defensive back's name called tonight.

Bills also had Taylor, Metcalf, Brown, Samuels and Little in for visits.

Occum's Razor Logic.  Daboll will sit next to Beane and say "Oliver was a great pic for the DEFENSE".

It's going to be an Offensive player at #40.  I will be shocked if it isn't.

Gruden loves Drew Lock and he doesn't pick again until the 4th.

I can't see Gruden not picking a QB and he realistically cant wait 71 picks on Lock IMO.

It also may be a trade up spot for Beane and Gruden.

The Bills pick is before any secondary QB needy teams (DEN, CIN, MIA, and NE).

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know everybody hates walter football, but Charlie did better than all the experts. 

I'm fairly certain that this year's mock will end up being the best, which would make him #1 two of the past three years, and Walter was like #2 or #3 the one year that Charlie wasn't the best. Their website is an atrocity to read and Walter is a terrible person, but Charlie Campbell has some serious connections in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

fair enough, but if they don't value OL highly, we're screwed

Agreed.  And based on their moves albeit just the last couple years, there is no evidence to suggest they place premium value on offensive linemen.   Seems their opinion of them is closer to the mindset that they are "a dime a dozen".      

And perhaps it is more about the coaching and player fit more so than individual player talent.   You might think so based on the production that Greg Roman was able to squeeze out of his offensive line while he was here.    All I know is that regardless of how much talent Josh Allen has or any of the other offensive weapons, if the offensive line sucks, the offense will suck.  Shady (who is generally accepted as being an above average runner) failed behind last year's line.   And Allen spent too much time running from linemen instead of picking apart secondaries from the pocket.

• Like (+1) 1

It would be great if we end up with 3 picks to night. So much value to be had. I'd like to see Butler, Sanders,  Risner or Taylor, Irv Smith. Like I said so much value tonight. How can we get 4 picks tonight?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

It would be great if we end up with 3 picks to night. So much value to be had. I'd like to see Butler, Sanders,  Risner or Taylor, Irv Smith. Like I said so much value tonight. How can we get 4 picks tonight?

I’d like for us to trade away both our round 4 picks and our 5ths to have a total of 3 picks in the second round, if that isn’t enough, throw in a 2020 3rd. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Based on the depth of the draft I think youre on it.  We need someone to develop but I like the 2nd 4th we have to pick Crosby.  I want the next 3 to be offense with a tackle and TE

If I had my way, we'd wait on TE and OT...

Take your alpha WR at 2 (DK, Butler, AJB in that order), get a TE at 3 (Sternberger, Oliver, Knox, Walling) and then you can take a developmental T (Edwards) and DE in the 4th. 

Or for that matter, trade one of the 4s and maybe a 2020 3 or 4 for Solomon Thomas -- I like that solution even better.