Who to draft on Day 2

There are a TON of great prospects left on the board. The first round went great for us. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we traded up a few picks to make sure we land the guy we like. Can't be afraid to give up one of our later picks if you feel that strongly about a prospect. We've got decent depth. We need more big time players.

For me: DK Metcalf or Deebo Samuel would be my favorites if they're there at 40. I'm a big believer in waiting for OL help til rounds 3-4. Take positions that require more skill in rounds 1-2 unless the prospect is just that good. I don't see an OL prospect that is worth taking over Metcalf or Samuel. There are good players at OL. Taking Risner or Ford wouldn't bother me much. However, I think a guy like Metcalf or Samuel would be perfect for us.

CB would be an interesting route to go. One underrated way to help Josh Allen is give him a top tier defense that keeps the game close and asks a little bit less of him. Like the Jags and Blake Bortles in 2017. Not comparing Allen to Bortles. Just pointing out how a defense can help a QB. Of course, the oft used example is Trent Dilfer and the Ravens.

I haven't seen this addressed, and am curious as to what others think. I'm under the impression that while college to pro transition is difficult, it is most difficult for OL and WR. (QB aside, as that is a whole different animal). It seems to me that the Bills were most active in signing FA's  this year in these two groups. Is it possible that they are willing to let other NFL teams be a training ground for their eventual WR's and OL, and they will concentrate their draft pix on position groups where the pix can make a much quicker contribution? I realize we had huge needs with these two groups, but perhaps draft strategy is affected by transition difficulty. Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

Fitz is probably a hall of famer, but I would not say he's one of the greatest WRs in NFL history.   

All-Pro selections aren't perfect, but for a position like WR, where performance is easier to quantify with statistics,  it's a pretty good metric for whether someone was considered one of the two best players in the game at his position, which should be the measure of whether a player was a "generational talent".  And Larry only made it one time.  In any given year, it seemed like there were always guys who were better:  Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss,  Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, etc.   In 2018, there wasn't a receiver in the league better than Tyreek Hill. 

What I objected to was your idea that Fitzgerald was on a different level than Tyreek Hill.  He clearly wasn't, although Hill's is unlikely to match Fitzgerald's career numbers because of his off-field problems.  It will be interesting to see how Hill's absence this season (if he doesn't play) will impact Mahomes.  I think it will be significant.  

Finally, the notion that Fitzgerald played with awful QBs is just not correct.  He played the majority of his career with either Kurt Warner or Carson Palmer as his QB.  There were some scrubs mixed in there too, but on the whole the Cardinals QBs were about average.    

In 15 years, Fitz had Warner for five years and Palmer for two years (Palmer was injured the other two years).  That leaves 8 years of terrible QB play. Beyond that, even when he had Warner throwing to him, he didn't have the benefit of the spread systems beings used by guys like Hill. 

I understand your point, and I don't think its unreasonable.  I just think longevity is as important, if not more important, as accomplishments in single seasons.  That is why "flash in the pan" guys are not remembered like perennial pro-bowlers.  Lots of guys can have a good season or two.  Generational talents can do it over the course of a decade. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Is Winovich a better choice at 40 if they are looking for DL help?

Better being the operative word. Not sure he'll ever be a high-end starter though. 

I don't think DE is the spot to focus on here (or possibly at all, in this draft), but if we look later, a guy like Crosby, Ximines or Joe Jackson probably makes the most sense.

• Like (+1) 1

When has a team won a Superbowl with a superstar receiver? I promise it's better to have dominant offensive line play with competent receivers.  

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Better being the operative word. Not sure he'll ever be a high-end starter though. 

I don't think DE is the spot to focus on here (or possibly at all, in this draft), but if we look later, a guy like Crosby, Ximines or Joe Jackson probably makes the most sense.

Don't sleep on Austin Bryant 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

In 15 years, Fitz had Warner for five years and Palmer for two years (Palmer was injured the other two years).  That leaves 8 years of terrible QB play. Beyond that, even when he had Warner throwing to him, he didn't have the benefit of the spread systems beings used by guys like Hill. 

I understand your point, and I don't think its unreasonable.  I just think longevity is as important, if not more important, as accomplishments in single seasons.  That is why "flash in the pan" guys are not remembered like perennial pro-bowlers.  Lots of guys can have a good season or two.  Generational talents can do it over the course of a decade. 

All good.  Fitz has had a long and outstanding career.  Hill has been brilliant so far, but it's been only three seasons.  And of course, they are two very different types of receivers, which makes the comparison even tougher.  Both are supremely talented. 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

It is interesting-the Bills are ranked really low-#27-on 2020 SB odds-but looking at the roster the team looks really deep-the only two positions I can see where you would expect the second round pick to be a day one starter is CB and OG. Even WR has Brown, Beasley, Jones and Foster-I wouldn't necessarily expect Metcalf to automatically start day one. Obviously I am a fan and I cannot see the problems because the lineup looks good overall IMO.

6 minutes ago, Rufridr101 said:

When has a team won a Superbowl with a superstar receiver? I promise it's better to have dominant offensive line play with competent receivers.   

I think the "when has X ever won a super bowl" deal is really outplayed... Just a couple years ago it was always defense wins championships, and yet now there are 50 point per game offenses in the playoffs every year. The league is evolving into one of exploiting mismatches, regardless of position... DK -- especially with Josh Allen throwing to him, offers that. 

6 minutes ago, Rufridr101 said:

Don't sleep on Austin Bryant 

Waaay later, sure.

5 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

If Tytus Howard was available he would be the pick so I'm wondering if Greg Little is in play here

I would think Cody Ford would be in play here, too, but I suspect Arizona will be sorely tempted to use pick 33 to re-unite him with Kyler. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s why I’m all in on DK at this point. He COULD be a 1. He might stink but he could be a 1. Everyone else is a 2 or below IMO. We have bodies at the position. I want a swing at a potential star.

Don't forget to factor in that everyone at New Era will use pregame festivities to at least drink DK pretty by game time - if need be!

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

...and he is averse to tackling.  ?

I think the Bills can work with him on that, kid can cover and if he can be a shut down guy thats just as good as tackling.