Who to draft on Day 2

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I hate the term "generational" talent. That said, Larry Fitz is a generational talent. He has a produced at a high level for a prolonged period of time, under incredibly tough circumstances, like almost no one before him has.  Tyreek Hill is a one hit wonder and about to be out of the NFL.  While Larry is getting inducted into the hall of fame, Hill will be an afterthought on KC message boards. 

You might be right about Hill’s future career, but Larry Fitz has never been as good as Tyreek Hill is right now.  In three seasons, he’s been first team all-pro more times than Fitz in his entire career.  If Fitz is a “generational talent”, then that awful phrase has no meaning whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

You might be right about Hill’s future career, but Larry Fitz has never been as good as Tyreek Hill is right now.  In three seasons, he’s been first team all-pro more times than Fitz in his entire career.  If Fitz is a “generational talent”, then that awful phrase has no meaning whatsoever.

I feel like I am arguing with a flat earth-er. This is one of the wildest takes I have ever read on this board. 

My guess would be that they sit back at 40 and let a good player fall to them, though I think I've made it pretty clear by now that I personally would want to move up for DK.

While my top 5 WRs are all still available, he's the only one that I think is a no-brainer starter from Day 1 (assuming his medicals have checked out) simply because there's no real competition as the X receiver. They can take someone like Deebo Samuel, who I personally have as the #2 WR in the draft, and he might be able to line up as the X, but he's on the smaller side as far as X's go and most seem to think he makes more sense in the slot where he'd be competing with Beasley and Zay for playing time. Likewise for AJ Brown, who isn't in my top 5, but very well may be in Buffalo's.

At the end of the day, guys that without diving into it too much would seemingly fit needs are (in order of their draft grade on NFL.com:
1. Jawaan Taylor
2. DK

3. Greedy
4. Parris Campbell
5. AJ Brown
6. Cody Ford
7. Dalton Risner
8. Deebo Samuel
9. Byron Murphy

10. Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
11. Irv Smith
12. Rock Ya-Sin
13. Greg Little

14. Juan Thornhill
15. Jaylon Ferguson

Guys in bold are the ones that I think at least loosely would be a good fit, though like I mentioned, AJ Brown and Deebo aren't perfect fits the way DK is.

I would think that Buffalo is very, very high on Risner, Byron Murphy, Irv Smith, Rock Ya-Sin, and Jaylon Ferguson in particular. I don't think we should really be taking a corner this high, but Murphy and Rock are basically perfect fits for McDermott's defense so I don't think they can be written off.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Really, which part of it?

I've just never heard anyone suggest that Lary Fitz is not one of the greatest WRs in NFL history.  I have also never seen someone use all-pro selections as a metric for measuring greatness.  

2 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

So at his peak you would take Hill over Fitz?  I cannot believe that, I know its impossible to compare but if Fitz had Mahomes from day 1 he'd have over 30k yards

That's the thing. Fitz had terrible QBs for the overwhelming majority of his career. There were exceptions of course, but it is amazing that he was able to get the production he did with the guys throwing him the ball. 

10 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

A couple options I like are still there...

DK Metcalf, didn’t like him at 9, but we’re right around his value area now.

AJ Brown, my top receiver in the draft

Deebo Samuel

Dalton Risner

Jawaan Taylor, why is he still there?

Taylor is there from what I heard because of injury concern. But idk that for sure, it's what i read. I like the idea of Risner or AJ Brown.

I said this last night, but I think Bills fans need to prepare for the very real possibility that the 2nd round pick is spent on a DB.

They had Juan Thornhill and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson both in for visits. They also love Rock Ya-Sin and Byron Murphy.

McDermott wants to run the Big Nickel with someone better and more dangerous than Rafael Bush. Don't be shocked to hear a defensive back's name called tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I've just never heard anyone suggest that Lary Fitz is not one of the greatest WRs in NFL history.  I have also never seen someone use all-pro selections as a metric for measuring greatness.  

That's the thing. Fitz had terrible QBs for the overwhelming majority of his career. There were exceptions of course, but it is amazing that he was able to get the production he did with the guys throwing him the ball. 

while its not fair to lean on a qb as a crutch, Fitz really did have terrible qbs for 15 years sans Warner. And he subjectively had the best hands in history. Generational might be pushing it but you can count the number of truly better WRs on JPP's hand during those years

1 minute ago, BillsMafia13 said:

while its not fair to lean on a qb as a crutch, Fitz really did have terrible qbs for 15 years sans Warner. And he subjectively had the best hands in history. Generational might be pushing it but you can count the number of truly better WRs on JPP's hand during those years

I don't know, he has the second most yards for any WR in NFL history. Its not just the single year performances, its the prolonged period of success. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

To me he is Similar to Dez Bryant in that regard. Limited routes great size and strength.

This is exactly my comparison...he totally reminds me of dez....some don’t see it...but thats who i think of

20 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Fitz is probably a hall of famer, but I would not say he's one of the greatest WRs in NFL history.   

All-Pro selections aren't perfect, but for a position like WR, where performance is easier to quantify with statistics,  it's a pretty good metric for whether someone was considered one of the two best players in the game at his position, which should be the measure of whether a player was a "generational talent".  And Larry only made it one time.  In any given year, it seemed like there were always guys who were better:  Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss,  Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, etc.   In 2018, there wasn't a receiver in the league better than Tyreek Hill. 

What I objected to was your idea that Fitzgerald was on a different level than Tyreek Hill.  He clearly wasn't, although Hill's is unlikely to match Fitzgerald's career numbers because of his off-field problems.  It will be interesting to see how Hill's absence this season (if he doesn't play) will impact Mahomes.  I think it will be significant.  

Finally, the notion that Fitzgerald played with awful QBs is just not correct.  He played the majority of his career with either Kurt Warner or Carson Palmer as his QB.  There were some scrubs mixed in there too, but on the whole the Cardinals QBs were about average.