Who to draft on Day 2

2 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

What if there is a group of guys at different positions, that carry the same ranking? That is a pretty likely scenario at the 40th pick.

Then you go with your gut on who is going to be the best of the bunch. 

Just now, PolishDave said:

Offensive playmakers won't have enough time to "make plays" if the QB doesn't have the time in the pocket to let the play develop.

The Bills won't become a perennially dominant team until/unless they build a dominant offensive line.

It's the NFL.  Twitched up 280 lbs guys who run 4.4 40s are coming after the QB.  The idea you can construct some brick wall offensive line is out dated.  Teams scheme to get guys open quickly and get the ball out of the QB's hands, unless you have a guy like Josh Allen who can keep plays alive for guys to get open downfield.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know that there is a more perfect fit than Byron Murphy. He's a McDermott corner created in a lab. That said I really think the edge need with Ferguson could win out. I'd be ecstatic with Risner as a plug and play guard. I'm good with Metcalf at this point as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

My boss is a huge ND fan and we discussed Boykin yesterday. He thinks he’s going in the 2nd and I said no way, mid round pick. I like him a lot but I just think he’s caught up in a ton of WRs they will go before him. 

He has the top RAS of the WR group which screams elite.  I wonder what held him back at ND.

I believe defensive end is a sneaky need. They only have one player under contract after this year. Jaylon Ferguson or maybe max Crosby later. TE in Brian Daboll offensive scheme isn't valued highly. Offensive line Dontae risner is a nice value at 40

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It's the NFL.  Twitched up 280 lbs guys who run 4.4 40s are coming after the QB.  The idea you can construct some brick wall offensive line is out dated.  Teams scheme to get guys open quickly and get the ball out of the QB's hands, unless you have a guy like Josh Allen who can keep plays alive for guys to get open downfield.

Agree to some extent.   If you have a QB who executes a fast paced attack well (like Brady does to perfection) you negate a lot of pass rush.   That is the exception, not the norm though.

We don't have that type of QB.   We have a guy who wants to hold the ball the extra 2 seconds and throw deeper.    It is beneficial if you have a QB who can make pass rushers miss so that he buys more time for a big play to develop.   But, you don't design an offense based on making your QB do that constantly because expecting him to do that every game is a recipe for failure.  (Even with a guy like Josh Allen) He should only be doing that a couple times a game if need be.

If you build a dominant offensive line, you can run the ball when you need to (no matter whose name is on the RB's jersey) and buy your QB a clean pocket and the extra second or two to in order for him to execute the play as it was designed instead of being forced to improvise and throw under constant duress.

Year after year the teams playing for conference championship titles and a trip to the Superbowl are the teams with above average or outright dominant offensive lines.

23 minutes ago, RFL said:

I still can’t believe Ed Oliver fell to us at #9......Now we need our big guy at TE or WR.   If a trade gets it done, Beane will work his magic!

Yep. Had the #1 guy I was hoping for fall to us and now all 5 of my top 5 WRs are still available for Day 2, including my #2 choice at pick #9.

24 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Offensive playmakers won't have enough time to "make plays" if the QB doesn't have the time in the pocket to let the play develop.

The Bills won't become a perennially dominant team until/unless they build a dominant offensive line.

It may not be dominant but I’m bullish on the guys we have.  We’re potentially looking at an entire new OL outside of Dawkins.  (Morse, Long, Nsekhe, Feliciano, Spain)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

It may not be dominant but I’m bullish on the guys we have.  We’re potentially looking at an entire new OL outside of Dawkins.  (Morse, Long, Nsekhe, Feliciano, Spain)

I hope you are right.  It is possible they make a step forward with the guys they have brought in.  A lot of it also matters on the coaching and play calling as was evidenced when the Bills run game went from being dominant to being dominated.   And it matters how each of the guys gels with the guys next to him.    If the Bills solve that situation, this offense will get very good very quickly even with the receiving talent it currently has.  IMHO

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

AJ Brown is 6’ 226 lbs?   Isn’t that a little on the “heavy” side for a WR?

He's thick. Hit's the weightroom with DK, but he ran well at the combine, stayed healthy and produced. I really like him. 

Image result for aj brown