RIP John Havlicek

The Senator

8 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

One stat from the Celtics that always amazed me was that, from 1958 to 1966, they won 8 straight championships...and averaged 6,000 attendance per game over that stretch.

Boston was so racist that the Bruins who did not make the playoffs from 1959-1960 to 1966-1967 outdrew them easily. Even Bill Russell hated the Boston fanbase for years after before eventually coming back to the fanbase in the 1980's. 

On 4/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, billsfan89 said:

Boston was so racist that the Bruins who did not make the playoffs from 1959-1960 to 1966-1967 outdrew them easily. Even Bill Russell hated the Boston fanbase for years after before eventually coming back to the fanbase in the 1980's. 

Hockey was a more popular game then 

the NBA didn’t take off until the mid 80s

finals games on weeknights were tape delayed, CBS showed a rerun of Columbo and Cannon or Kolchak the Night Stalker before the NBA tape at 1:30am,  before we had any recording devices

The 1984 Finals was possibly the first time we got live prime time games on weeknights

Edited by row_33
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:44 PM, K-9 said:

Loved Hondo as a kid. Not after we got the Braves so much, but always like his game. RIP.

Exactly, all those Celtics pissed me off way back when.....

Turns out it's just a game. 

RIP

On 4/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, billsfan89 said:

d

When the Celtics drafted Bill Russell in 1956, Red had to go door-to-door in Wellesley to make sure it was OK with the neighbors if he moved there.

Yes, they’re oh-so-liberal in Boston, until you try to buy the house next door.

16 minutes ago, The Senator said:

When the Celtics drafted Bill Russell in 1956, Red had to go door-to-door in Wellesley to make sure it was OK with the neighbors if he moved there.

Yes, they’re oh-so-liberal in Boston, until you try to buy the house next door.

When Joel Ward of the Caps scored the OT goal to win game seven vs. the favored  Bruins in 2012, chants of “N-word” rained down from the stands. Disgusting. 

Apologies for derailing the thread and the honoring of Hondo, but I thought it bore mentioning considering the context of your post above.

Edited by K-9

On 4/27/2019 at 7:13 PM, row_33 said:

finals games on weeknights were tape delayed, CBS showed a rerun of Columbo and Cannon or Kolchak the Night Stalker before the NBA tape at 1:30am,  before we had any recording devices

The 1984 Finals was possibly the first time we got live prime time games on weeknights

Hardly any of this is true.  

12 minutes ago, bbb said:

Hardly any of this is true.  

Go ahead...

the clinching game game for Magic in 1980 and Bird in 1981 was on tape delay at 1:30 am on Buffalo’s CBS affiliate

i would be interested in your point by point refutation in the whole thing

They cut off the 76 and 77 trophy presentations to go to a piddling golf tournament on Sunday afternoons, I would have loved to hear Walton’s comments after winning it all.

the game was nowhere until Magic and Bird squared off in 1984

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Go ahead...

the clinching game game for Magic in 1980 and Bird in 1981 was on tape delay at 1:30 am on Buffalo’s CBS affiliate

i would be interested in your point by point refutation in the whole thing

They cut off the 76 and 77 trophy presentations to go to a piddling golf tournament on Sunday afternoons, I would have loved to hear Walton’s comments after winning it all.

the game was nowhere until Magic and Bird squared off in 1984

I don't remember the tape delay part, but I do remember not being able to see this game & Magic's legendary performance because it just wasn't on TV. :thumbdown:

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

Bbb , you sometimes show up on ppp and tell lies and act like a goof, don’t extend this to a sports discussion, get a life

Yeah, I tell lies.  What are you even talking about?

Never has been in this country

Then why is it always talked about Bird and Magic bringing it back?  They were in the NBA in the late 70s. 

1:30 AM after Columbo?  Come on.  This is ridiculous.  

From 19791981, CBS aired weekday NBA Finals games on tape delay if they were not played on the West Coast. Games were televised after the late local news (11:30 p.m.) in the CBS Late Movie time slot. In some cases, games were seen live in the cities whose local NBA teams were playing. In 1981 for example, WNAC-TV Boston and KHOU-TVHouston carried Games 1, 2, 5 and 6 live, although most viewers around the country had to wait until after the late local news to see them.

"1982: The '82 Finals marked the first time since 1978 that all of the games aired live in its entirely;" - so not only was it '82, but also it was before '78

Braves / Celtics could have been a great rivalry.  It had a good start.  The Celtics were loaded back then.

I believe the only series the Braves won in their short history was against the Bullets.

On 4/26/2019 at 10:11 AM, The Senator said:

Also played on the only Ohio State national championship team - with Jerry Lucas, Larry Siegfried, and Bobby Knight!

(Yes, Yolo - Hondo was. Buckeye!)

Celtics fans will appreciate this 1965 article about Havlicek’s famous steal in game 7 against Philadelphia (especially the video clip with legendary Johnny Most doing play-by-play)....

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/04/25/read-will-mcdonough-game-story-from-night-john-havlicek-stole-the-ball/TugNU3V0UyV3kGVfhZ64bN/story.html

RIP Hondo.

In the video included in this link,  there is a shot of Havlicek and Bob McAdoo.