RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

23 hours ago, Augie said:

So you’re not a fan? Fair enough. We will all, I am sure, hope you are wrong. Pressure up the middle (especially on Brady!), plus disrupt the run with penetration. We need to disrupt the run! Can he hold up when they go right at him? We’ll see. 

Not to borrow worry, but if the refs were calling "roughing the Brady" on just his shoulder pad getting tickled last season just wait till Oliver plants him going 90 miles an hour.

Even if it is text book, the laundry is going to fly - Hughes will have to console his new line mate and explain the "unspoken rules" of playing in the AFC East.

Not to wish injury on anyone, but I think after facing Oliver, Wilkins, and Williams 6X this coming season, odds are good that Brady decides to hang up those cleats and leave on top of his game rather than a gurney.

He's 41 years old - it's time for AFC East teams to convince him to move on.

Edited by WideNine

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I miss him already. I wish Ed Oliver got the chance to spend a season with Kyle. 

I agree. But sounds like Kyle will be in Buffalo and around the team during camp and season. Oliver already said they talked and wants to pick kyles brain and get as many tips as possible. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, wppete said:

I agree. But sounds like Kyle will be in Buffalo and around the team during camp and season. Oliver already said they talked and wants to pick kyles brain and get as many tips as possible. 

Yeah it’s great that it sounds like he will still be around the team some. 

It’s still not the same as having Kyle next to him, working his butt off every second of every practice/game and giving pre game + half time speeches to the locker room. 

But I’ll still take it! Having Kyle around in any capacity can only be a good thing. 

At least Zo is still around. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

10 sacks from Ed might be unrealistic although it is possible. I think he will take some adjusting to the pro-game but still be an impactful player his rookie year. I think 6 sacks is a nice Mendoza line for him. Honestly it is more so about how many pressures he is generating as opposed to the sack totals which can be a bit circumstantial. If Oliver can generate 40 or more pressures and close to 20 hits or more I think he will have a huge impact on the team in his rookie year. 

Overall I think expectations for Oliver should be high but not unrealistic. He might come in and set the world on fire and make a pro-bowl team and be in the running for DROY. But more realistically he might not be an instant star, yet that wouldn't mean he couldn't be productive and have a very good impact this year and beyond.

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah it’s great that it sounds like he will still be around the team some. 

It’s still not the same as having Kyle next to him, working his butt off every second of every practice/game and giving pre game + half time speeches to the locker room. 

But I’ll still take it! Having Kyle around in any capacity can only be a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

At least Zo is still around. 

Kyle was a huge loss from a locker room perspective. I don't think had he played he would been a huge impactful player but his presence as a professional and as a leader was important. But the defense luckily kept J.Phillips and drafted Oliver so on field they are as or more stout and the defense has a lot of vets on it. As you mentioned Zo is a beloved teammate and veteran, Hughes is the heart of the front 7, Star is a long time pro who played in a Super Bowl, Trent Murphy has been around for a bit, and in the secondary the safeties are guys who are 7 plus year vets. 

So I don't think there is an overall lack of veterans or leadership on the defense. But Kyle certainly was a loss to the culture.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

10 sacks from Ed might be unrealistic although it is possible. I think he will take some adjusting to the pro-game but still be an impactful player his rookie year. I think 6 sacks is a nice Mendoza line for him. Honestly it is more so about how many pressures he is generating as opposed to the sack totals which can be a bit circumstantial. If Oliver can generate 40 or more pressures and close to 20 hits or more I think he will have a huge impact on the team in his rookie year. 

Overall I think expectations for Oliver should be high but not unrealistic. He might come in and set the world on fire and make a pro-bowl team and be in the running for DROY. But more realistically he might not be an instant star, yet that wouldn't mean he couldn't be productive and have a very good impact this year and beyond.

Kyle was a huge loss from a locker room perspective. I don't think had he played he would been a huge impactful player but his presence as a professional and as a leader was important. But the defense luckily kept J.Phillips and drafted Oliver so on field they are as or more stout and the defense has a lot of vets on it. As you mentioned Zo is a beloved teammate and veteran, Hughes is the heart of the front 7, Star is a long time pro who played in a Super Bowl, Trent Murphy has been around for a bit, and in the secondary the safeties are guys who are 7 plus year vets. 

So I don't think there is an overall lack of veterans or leadership on the defense. But Kyle certainly was a loss to the culture.

Agree. The Bills are in a better position to absorb Kyle’s loss than any other time in recent memory (IMO anyway). 

I have faith in McDermott and the culture he’s built. There are a lot of good, high character guys in that locker room. Plenty of guys to help the young players along.

Plus, I am sure Oliver is a high character kid himself, otherwise they would not have drafted him in the top 10 (and from what I’ve read that seems to be the case). 

Really, it was just about me wishing Oliver could have experienced what Kyle Williams was like as an NFL player. But I’m sure I’ll feel this way about every player the Bills draft for the next little while. KW retiring is still pretty fresh in my mind. He was such a staple of every Bills team every season for so long. It’s just weird (and sad) that we won’t see him in camp and on the field on game days. 

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/26678391/kiper-instant-impact-rookies-2019-nfl-draft-picks-play-early

kiper's top 5 instant impact 1st rounders.....

Here are five prospect-to-team fits I really liked in the first round:

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Ed Oliver, DT, Buffalo Bills

Pick: No. 9

My pal Louis Riddick said on TV several times over the past few months that Oliver was used incorrectly in college. Why is an athlete like Oliver -- he has one of the fastest first steps off the ball of any defensive tackle I've ever scouted -- playing nose tackle? Buffalo will play him as a 3-technique tackle in its 4-3 defense, in place of the retired Kyle Williams, and he's going to be a disruptive presence. No, he's not Aaron Donald like some were calling him last summer -- he is still developing consistent pass-rush moves -- but Oliver will destroy double-teams and cause wreckage in the backfield.

Editor's Picks

Because of the Bills' offensive struggles in 2018, the defense went under the radar; it was the top-ranked pass defense, allowing only 179.2 yards per game, and gave up only 294.1 total yards per game. This is a young, talented and physical group. Oliver fills an immediate need

sorry about the butchered copy/paste job.... the interwebs and I aren't real friendly with one another.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

From The Athletic today, an article from his coach since HS:

https://theathletic.com/962885/2019/05/06/a-j-blum-qa-ed-olivers-longtime-coach-on-his-fit-with-buffalo-and-those-crazy-maturity-questions/

Quote:

The Bills have said they are going to make him a three-technique in their defense. How do you think he’ll transition to that? What are some of the challenges that come with that move?

I think it’s going to be amazing. I had been telling Ed all along after the pro day, seeing the head coach and GM at his pro day, I was like, wow, this is the real deal. I went back and did some research and I had been telling Ed all along that from a scheme standpoint of every team that’s interested in you, Buffalo is probably the best fit. When we were in high school, I called 46 games with Ed playing three-technique or 2i, basically what he’s going to be playing in Buffalo. It’s going to be amazing. It just is. You can say all you want about him playing the zero-technique in the three down that we had at Houston, but he was very active. He stunted probably 70 percent of the time. I think the thing that’s going to be awesome is you’re not going to have to stunt him as much because he’s going to be on the outside shoulder or inside shoulder of that guard, and it’s going to allow him to really use his skills in a one-on-one situation. I’m sure he’ll get his fair share of double teams, but it will be a lot less than he got at Houston.

I think it’s going to be amazing. I know he’s excited. I think it’s going to be really good. From a standpoint of what he needs to get better at, he is such a natural with his speed and explosiveness that a lot of times he defeats blocks by his get off, not so much side-stepping his blocker but by being a penetrator. When you’re a penetrator, you don’t necessarily have the use of great hand placement and block disengagement, but he’s going to be in situations, where that’s going to be one of the biggest things. Having worked with him for seven years, that’s going to be one of the biggest things he’ll have to refine as a skill, is just staying on that edge and being able to get off that block. People want to compare him to Aaron Donald, but he and Aaron Donald are two completely different players. Aaron Donald bench-pressed 550 pounds in college. That’s why he’s so good at getting off blocks. He gets that separation and he can still control and get off blocks. A guy like Ed, he’s punching a guy so fast and moving by him that he was able to get away with it. That’s going to be one of the biggest things that he’s going to have refine. Attack, lock out and then disengage. Just getting off those blocks. His feet are going to be great. His speed is going to be great. It’s just about controlling it and staying in that gap.”