RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

I got 10,000 worth of American currency notes that suggests more than 70% of this community has never seen a Cougar game this past season.

CBSSN ..what.

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

This says something about the person. Heck, I’ve certainly never even met the guy, but it makes me like him more. He came off as sincere and VERY happy on draft day. 

How many sacks do you expect from him this year?

36 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I got 10,000 worth of American currency notes that suggests more than 70% of this community has never seen a Cougar game this past season.

CBSSN ..what.

Interior guy, but I’d set the over/under at 7.5 as a rookie. I’m told I’m too PollyAnna and optimistic. That might be true, but it doesn’t offend me. (Despite reports, I’m hard to offend, especially by message board guys.)  Your thoughts? 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

CBSSN ..what.

I realize you're talking to Augie but I'll chime in on what I expect for his rookie year.

I'll just go ahead and say that I'm not as knowledgeable of the game as most of you.   But I looked up Suh's stats and I expect for him to be close (did he really have 10 sacks his first year?!).  I don't think he'll get 10 sacks his first year but I think he'll get somewhere close to that because your (can I start saying "our") team already has a phenomenal defense.  

But it's not crazy to expect ~8 sacks and a lot of TFL.  I think that's where he'll excel, he's so quick and is so great with his hands that he can shed tackles quickly and explode.

But I think the best thing about Ed is that he will get better.  He really loves to learn.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigEdFan said:

I realize you're talking to Augie but I'll chime in on what I expect for his rookie year.

I'll just go ahead and say that I'm not as knowledgeable of the game as most of you.   But I looked up Suh's stats and I expect for him to be close (did he really have 10 sacks his first year?!).  I don't think he'll get 10 sacks his first year but I think he'll get somewhere close to that because your (can I start saying "our") team already has a phenomenal defense.  

But it's not crazy to expect ~8 sacks and a lot of TFL.  I think that's where he'll excel, he's so quick and is so great with his hands that he can shed tackles quickly and explode.

But I think the best thing about Ed is that he will get better.  He really loves to learn.  

Welcome!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Interior guy, but I’d set the over/under at 7.5 as a rookie. I’m told I’m too PollyAnna and optimistic. That might be true, but it doesn’t offend me. (Despite reports, I’m hard to offend, especially by message board guys.)  Your thoughts? 

Posted at exactly the same time.  What's the saying about great minds?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

My thoughts??? Joseph was a steal in the draft,I saw him play week in and week out on CBS and ESPN...he's a hitter..a head hunter,a guy you don't want to face who doesn't build sand castles on the sidelines.Oliver,I know nothing about, know nothing about that conference and I don't pretend to too.Too many people on this board get jacked up about YouTube footage and what national hacks say.

I know this..for #9...and a QB crusher..he had better produce 10 sacks this year..atleast.

I like the walk.....instead of the talk.

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

My thoughts??? Joseph was a steal in the draft,I saw him play week in and week out on CBS and ESPN...he's a hitter..a head hunter,a guy you don't want to face who doesn't build sand castles on the sidelines.Oliver,I know nothing about, know nothing about that conference and I don't pretend to too.Too many people on this board get jacked up about YouTube footage and what national hacks say.

I know this..for #9...and a QB crusher..he had better produce 10 sacks this year..atleast.

I know I’ve been aware of him for at least a couple seasons. He’s freaky fast of the ball, and I think he was a top 3 non-QB guy going into this year (even playing out of position).  I’m thrilled!  Getting 10 sacks form the interior might not be a realistic expectation, especially as a rookie, but if he can penetrate (probably even better than Pro Bowl Kyle) to disrupt the run game, I’ll be pleased. 

I don’t pretend to be an expert. Some here are indeed qualified to judge talent, but many know about as much as I do but come off as “certain”. I’ll just say I feel very good about Oliver. Time will tell. 

14 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

The minimum standard for his rookie year is top 5 sacks from his position? That feels more like talking than walking 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

CBSSN ..what.

Never seen the Cougars but I've been to a few Wildcat games back in the 70s.

Bill had a total of 36 sacks.  Bills DL had 20 sacks last year.  KW had 5.

If the team can get back up to 46 with EO getting 8 or so I will be happy.

If EOs pressure up the middle cause more sacks from other players it's fine by me.

Sacks are nice but disrupting the QB with pressures are important too.

24 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

So you’re not a fan? Fair enough. We will all, I am sure, hope you are wrong. Pressure up the middle (especially on Brady!), plus disrupt the run with penetration. We need to disrupt the run! Can he hold up when they go right at him? We’ll see. 

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

I know I’ve been aware of him for at least a couple seasons. He’s freaky fast of the ball, and I think he was a top 3 non-QB guy going into this year (even playing out of position).  I’m thrilled!  Getting 10 sacks form the interior might not be a realistic expectation, especially as a rookie, but if he can penetrate (probably even better than Pro Bowl Kyle) to disrupt the run game, I’ll be pleased. 

I don’t pretend to be an expert. Some here are indeed qualified to judge talent, but many know about as much as I do but come off as “certain”. I’ll just say I feel very good about Oliver. Time will tell. 

Well..I will say this roster is deeper than '18. I felt very good mentally about our defensive front until I watched NFLN review the Jets this afternoon,a ten second footage of the Jets home game showed Trent Murphy get owned to the max..bulldozed into the soon to be old turf.Sam Darnold threw TD pass on the play.We have a 9-7 team right now..I'm happy and I hope all of these new recruits can become brothers and create positive energy.

Joe,pete,Larry haven't met Jim,john,jose,Spain,frank,gerald,harold,greg,and that Beasley guy yet.

Ohh..that locker room..to be a fly on the wall.

19 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Never seen the Cougars but I've been to a few Wildcat games back in the 70s.

Bill had a total of 36 sacks.  Bills DL had 20 sacks last year.  KW had 5.

If the team can get back up to 46 with EO getting 8 or so I will be happy.

If EOs pressure up the middle cause more sacks from other players it's fine by me.

Sacks are nice but disrupting the QB with pressures are important too.

And I would accept that..but people talk numbers.You and I both agree this team is one draft away from seriously competing for the Lombardi..don't get soft on me bear..bleed the guts,glory and pride of south cheektowaga.

Beane's doing well..I wouldn't want any other GM running this organization.

Peace

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/29/2019 at 9:12 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

At 10 eastern Houston vs Navy 2017 is on. Oliver had 9 tackles and 2 sacks in the game if anyone cares to watch. Although watching Navy's offense is not much fun. 

BTW it's on ESPN U

That’s the game where he hurt his knee. Because all navy does is run at guys’ knees for 3 hours. It’s the worst offense to defend because you rarely see it or practice against it so you have to take so much time to prepare, and then the exhaustion afterward. The stat with the number of teams that lose the week after playing them is crazy. 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s the game where he hurt his knee. Because all navy does is run at guys’ knees for 3 hours. It’s the worst offense to defend because you rarely see it or practice against it so you have to take so much time to prepare, and then the exhaustion afterward. The stat with the number of teams that lose the week after playing them is crazy. 

I believe they actually changed the rules about going at a guys knees after this because it was so blatant.   I'm not seeing it on my schedule so I can't say for sure.  Some even referred to it as the "Oliver Rule" if I remember correctly. 

I remember it and being the most frustrated I've ever been watching sports (saying a lot as I'm a lifelong Rockets fan).  

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

At least 10? His rookie year?

i think that’s unrealistic. He’s incredibly talented but still a rookie. I’m like you where most of my viewings of him are highlights. 

The betting odds on Bosa, the #2 pick and arguably better than his brother, a perennial pro bowler, is 9.0 sacks. 

Not saying Vegas is always right, but they know their stuff. They have Oliver at 6.5. If he gets 7 and plays well against the run (he put up some amazing run defense numbers in college), and helps take some of the pressure off of Hughes to be the only guy that can pressure the quarterback, I’ll be thrilled. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

from CBS Sports...Five biggest instant impact rookies

Ed Oliver, DT, Bills - This is the best combination of value and fit in the entire first round. Buffalo was active in free agency, yet entered the draft with a gaping hole at the play-making three technique defensive tackle spot vacated by the retired Kyle Williams. 

Oliver was born to play three technique. He's an athletic marvel, the most electric mover we've seen at defensive tackle since Aaron Donald joined the league in 2014. Oliver was able to overcome playing predominately  at the nose tackle spot at 6-foot-1 and 280-plus pounds -- basically coaching malfeasance -- to amass 53 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks in his three seasons at Houston.

With an open gap staring him in the face when he looks up from his three-point stance on the outside shoulder of the guard -- or at the one-technique outside the center -- Oliver's elite first step and sustained speed will allow him to create consistent havoc. And in 2018, Oliver flashed more pass-rushing moves than in his first two years with the Cougars. The run-stopping prowess has been there since his true freshman season in 2016. 

The Bills actually finished sixth in defensive pressure rate in 2018 at 37.1%. But outside of Kyle Williams and a sprinkling of pass-rush production from Jordan Phillips and Harrison Phillips, most of Buffalo's pressure was created by Jerry Hughes on the outside. 

Oliver is in prime position to be "freed" on the inside with the Phillips duo and the massive Star Lotulelei eating double teams. The No. 9 overall pick in this draft will be the definition of "instant impact" on Buffalo's deep defensive line, both against the run and the pass. My pre-draft comparison for him was John Randle. 

• Thank you (+1) 1