RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Oliver grades out as a Elite run defender yet there are ppl here talking about his concern to stop the run

???????

His run defense is ahead of his pass rushing at this stage. He has a chance to be elite at both. People look at his height and weight and make the determination that he isn't a good run defender when he's already a great one.

On 4/26/2019 at 5:52 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Sorry if the last was a repeat 

Its easy to miss the beauty of the region.  From the finger lakes up into the great lakes and niagara falls.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:37 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Its very Bush league. It's what high school coaches do when they have no size, they stick a small guy at nose to see if he can be quick and get in the backfield. It's lame. 

On a positive note it may have better prepared him for the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Hes a day one starter.

I’d be surprised if Crosby started right off the bat. I see him as a situational pass rusher his first year or two until he adds some bulk and gets stronger. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I’d be surprised if Crosby started right off the bat. I see him as a situational pass rusher his first year or two until he adds some bulk and gets stronger. 

Who?

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

Who?

Maybe Darryl Johnson edge guy we took in the 7th?

Small school, but the kid has the size, frame, and bend off the edge. He dominated against inferior competition, but that is what you are looking for at small schools, guys that other teams had to focus on quite a bit that still won their matchups.

They will hit the NFL nutrition and strength regimen with him and it will be interesting to see if they found another diamond in the rough.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

Oliver is explosive.

The only knock on him was when Houston lined him up in a 0 technique at nose where it allowed him to get tangled up with a center and then blown off his base with the late double team from either guard.

He's a gap-shooting 3T all the way, McDermott and every defensive coordinator that runs the 4-3 as their base knows it. In space over a gap, with his power, and how low his pad level is when he fires out of his stance, he will be very difficult for offensive linemen to get any kind of meaningful position or leverage against to block him.

I am expecting a backfield wrecking ball, that will disrupt timing, force RB's to change direction into pursuit. There is always the "if" factor with any drafted prospect, but none can fault this staff for not going after exactly what the defensive line needed. Pressure off the edge opposite Hughes may still be an issue, but we will see .

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

After watching his highlights one thing is certain. If the refs call holding like they should he's gonna make blockers draw a lot of laundry. He's being held so often fro the Zero tech position its comical.

There is no way the refs can ignore him and Hughes, can they? The guy is all out effort and explosiveness on every down.

I think having a disruptive force on the interior will not only create sacks for Oliver but also for our DEs. This is exactly what was missing from the pass rush last year.  Often DEs feed off of the QB being flushed out of the pocket and sent their way.  The thing that I like about Oliver is how quickly he penetrates. This has the added effect of making the QB antsy. It also forces the opposing OL to double team him, again making it easier for DEs to feed.  Really think the sack numbers will increase from our edge rushers because of Oliver.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, WideNine said:

Maybe Darryl Johnson edge guy we took in the 7th?

Small school, but the kid has the size, frame, and bend off the edge. He dominated against inferior competition, but that is what you are looking for at small schools, guys that other teams had to focus on quite a bit that still won their matchups.

They will hit the NFL nutrition and strength regimen with him and it will be interesting to see if they found another diamond in the rough.

Don’t forget, he was a five-star recruit coming out of high school. He could have gone to any program he wanted. He chose Houston because it was his hometown and wanted to stay.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I think having a disruptive force on the interior will not only create sacks for Oliver but also for our DEs. This is exactly what was missing from the pass rush last year.  Often DEs feed off of the QB being flushed out of the pocket and sent their way.  The thing that I like about Oliver is how quickly he penetrates. This has the added effect of making the QB antsy. It also forces the opposing OL to double team him, again making it easier for DEs to feed.  Really think the sack numbers will increase from our edge rushers because of Oliver.

I feel like at least 1-2 times per game I saw Hughes go untouched around the edge just to have the QB step up into a clean interior pocket. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Don’t forget, he was a five-star recruit coming out of high school. He could have gone to any program he wanted. He chose Houston because it was his hometown and wanted to stay.

Very true.  He literally could have gone anywhere--Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State.  We were on pins and needles the entire time until signing day.  But he never wavered.  The family is very close and his brother was already at UH.  He's a man of his word.  That's one of the reasons we loved him at UH (and the city for that matter).

We were blessed by having him and I'm happy for you and the city to have him for the foreseeable future.

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, BigEdFan said:

Very true.  He literally could have gone anywhere--Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State.  We were on pins and needles the entire time until signing day.  But he never wavered.  The family is very close and his brother was already at UH.  He's a man of his word.  That's one of the reasons we loved him at UH (and the city for that matter).

We were blessed by having him and I'm happy for you and the city to have him for the foreseeable future.

This says something about the person. Heck, I’ve certainly never even met the guy, but it makes me like him more. He came off as sincere and VERY happy on draft day. 

1 hour ago, Mojo44 said:

He was actually the first 5 star recruit in history to go to a non power 5 conference team.

• Like (+1) 2