RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Usually the “weak conference” concern comes into play when you question a prospects athleticism.  Ed Oliver is an otherworldly athlete.  Believe me, his toolbox is going to translate. 

Not every player can get a Bama scholarship....jscholarship....just got to find the men amongst the boys.

That fits Oliver.

He is a great fit for this defense.

3 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Usually the “weak conference” concern comes into play when you question a prospects athleticism.  Ed Oliver is an otherworldly athlete.  Believe me, his toolbox is going to translate. 

Theres a YouTube of his pre combine work out.  He just looks like an incredible athlete.  I just wish I understood why they played him at zero. 

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Theres a YouTube of his pre combine work out.  He just looks like an incredible athlete.  I just wish I understood why they played him at zero. 

Its very Bush league. It's what high school coaches do when they have no size, they stick a small guy at nose to see if he can be quick and get in the backfield. It's lame. 

..interesting that some posting pundits label Ed as "too small".....nearly identical in size to "too small Bruce Smith"......who?.....oh well.......Cowgirls had Ed "Too Tall" Jones and we have Ed "Too Small" Oliver.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..interesting that some posting pundits label Ed as "too small".....nearly identical in size to "too small Bruce Smith"......who?.....oh well.......Cowgirls had Ed "Too Tall" Jones and we have Ed "Too Small" Oliver.....

He is a little light for a DT.  We’ll see. Folks will try to run at him and we will find out how he handles it. 

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He is a little light for a DT.  We’ll see. Folks will try to run at him and we will find out how he handles it. 

...the big boyz around him may free him up......with his versatility/speed, would be interesting to see him on the Edge a few times......

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not for a 3-T...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/defensive-prototypes-3-technique

"The heights of 3-techniques vary wildly across the board, although shorter tackles are often pigeonholed as 3’s. The one thing they do have in common, though, is weight. It’s rare to see one tip the scales at over 300 pounds as holding up to double teams cedes priority to agility."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not for a 3-T...

"The heights of 3-techniques vary wildly across the board, although shorter tackles are often pigeonholed as 3’s. The one thing they do have in common, though, is weight. It’s rare to see one tip the scales at over 300 pounds as holding up to double teams cedes priority to agility."

...NICELY done bud...thanks for sharing........:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not for a 3-T...

Kyle and Dareus are some of the better 3s we’ve seen. Over 300. but I’m  not suggesting it’s an issue, just something to watch for to see how he handles. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Not for a 3-T...

Oliver a bit light for his 6'3" frame at 287, but it's not inconceivable he could put on 10-15 lbs with NFL quality full-time training.

KW is 6'1" and played at a recorded 303 lbs.

52 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Kyle and Dareus are some of the better 3s we’ve seen. Over 300. but I’m  not suggesting it’s an issue, just something to watch for to see how he handles. 

Two totally different body types.  KW barely over 300 lbs.  Dareus said to be 330 lbs but I think that must have been with a helium belt strapped on his butt.

• Haha (+1) 2

Similar in size to guys like Geno Atkins, Warren Sapp. Sapp played at around 6-2, 300...but he was fat. Oliver is jacked. So Oliver at 6-2, 287 is good with me. 

Sapp is the prototype in terms of talent as a three Tech, but he was a sloppy body. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

https://theathletic.com/948981/2019/04/27/why-kyle-williams-is-confident-the-bills-culture-will-eradicate-maturity-concerns-with-ed-oliver/

kyle Williams was the first one to reach out to Ed Oliver. 

Ed,

Kyle Williams here. I’m sure you are sleeping after enjoying your night last night. Wanted to reach out and tell you congratulations and that you’re about to play for a city, organization and coaches who are the best in the business. Give all you got, and that city will open up for you! I’m pulling for you and can’t wait to watch you play. I’ll be around some. Let me know if you need anything!

Edit - here’s another l8nk that doesn’t require a subscription -

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/4/27/18519790/buffalo-bills-great-kyle-williams-reached-out-to-ed-oliver-feels-oliver-is-going-to-flourish

more from the athletic article -

What caused Oliver to slip are concerns over his size and immaturity. Given that his size essentially was the same after his magnificent sophomore season, logic would dictate questions over his character weighed more heavily.....

.....The Bills — and this is something I’m not used to typing — might be in position to handle pains in the ass more than they have in two decades.

Whatever risks Oliver presents, the club is entering its third season under general manager Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott. A culture has been established and, with it, expectations to honor.

“They’re going to push the guy,” recently retired defensive tackle Kyle Williams said, “and if you don’t meet the expectations of the room and that building as far as matching the intensity of the way those guys work, they’re going to let you know about it.

“A lot of time you see these uber-talented guys, but they take plays off, This kid plays hard. He’s one of the rare ones that’s really talented, but he’s got a hot motor, can run plays down from behind and can play sideline to sideline.

“That gives me the thought that it’s important to him. He wants to play hard. When he comes into a culture built around team, I think he’s going to flourish.”

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 4