RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

47 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Attitude problems?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/19/2019-draft-ed-oliver-attitude-character-houston-will-grier-chip-kelly-brian-kelly-trevor-lawrence

"Houston DT Ed Oliver’s run-in with coach Major Applewhite wouldn’t be a big deal if Oliver didn’t already carry a bit of rep in this regard. According to scouts, Oliver has been widely seen as high-maintenance, and as a guy who’s gotten things his way a lot (his high school defensive coordinator, A.J. Blum, was hired as his position coach two years ago) since arriving on campus as the first five-star recruit in program history."

49 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

different position?

He was primarily a nose tackle at Houston whereas we're going to play him as a three technique. Nose is more lateral movement. It's possible he adds positional versatility which is always a bonus. It's also possible he's not really a great fit at either position at the NFL level. 

7 minutes ago, VW82 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/19/2019-draft-ed-oliver-attitude-character-houston-will-grier-chip-kelly-brian-kelly-trevor-lawrence

"Houston DT Ed Oliver’s run-in with coach Major Applewhite wouldn’t be a big deal if Oliver didn’t already carry a bit of rep in this regard. According to scouts, Oliver has been widely seen as high-maintenance, and as a guy who’s gotten things his way a lot (his high school defensive coordinator, A.J. Blum, was hired as his position coach two years ago) since arriving on campus as the first five-star recruit in program history."

He was primarily a nose tackle at Houston whereas we're going to play him as a three technique. Nose is more lateral movement. It's possible he adds positional versatility which is always a bonus. It's also possible he's not really a great fit at either position at the NFL level. 

honestly, I believe you have no idea what you're talking about but you go ahead and be negative and rain on the parade about this great pick, that's your prerogative.

as for the attitude, goes with the territory (defense) and I'm good with some attitude.

55 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Opponents are in trouble.  They have to deal with Stars big Ass.  How are they suppose to double Hughes, Star and Oliver.

I probably should say triple team for Hughes.  2 offensive players and one game official.

And if Harrison Phillips can dominate the middle and become an anchor for them to pivot on...

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

So I'm super-excited about this pick, and Oliver is a monster.  He also looks like he's genuinely excited to be a Bill.

That being said...I think a valid question is, "as this pick relates to our overall defense, did we really get better on D, or just replace Kyle Williams?"  Oliver seems to have all the same traits- high motor, lightning quick off the ball, good technique, undersized.  What's the difference that's going to make our D better than it was with Kyle?

42 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

The other part is we don't have the meatball now.  So we needed someone in order just to maintain what we had with him else we were slipping.  I agree young Oliver could be an upgrade over Williams from last year.

What Yatta said. Even if we didn't improve with the selection of Oliver (though I be we did), we at least probably maintained status quo. Even that would be nothing to sneeze at, given that failing to maintain said status quo could've meant a precipitous drop in defensive effectiveness.

If Oliver is as talented as they say, with comparisons to John Randle and Aaron Donald and such, it's hard not to feel like we upgraded. As much as we all love Kyle Williams, he was never a John Randle or an Aaron Donald.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Hock was out of our control regardless? Not sure what he was getting at?

Right. If a team took Hock after us, there might be a point but, even if Hock becomes great, if Oliver becomes great, it still makes no difference. 

53 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I can't disagree more with either bold text. 

Nose requires sheer bulk and ability to hold your gap. Lateral movement ability, while nice, is not as important as sheer strength and the ability to occupy blockers. 

Per the second bold text sentence, Oliver was tailor made for the 3T spot. His athleticism is superior, especially his short area quickness; like as good or better than some good wideouts. And while the 3 is where I expect him to play predominantly, his athleticism will allow him to slide out to the 5T as well. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

He also rubbed his hands together with excitement.

Was awesome 

Wilkins on the 'Phins answered the same way. I am ok this once for all 3 other teams in the division to group up on this 

• Like (+1) 3