RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

41 minutes ago, WideNine said:

The Bills scheme will have Oliver attacking the gaps with plenty of added twists and stunts to take advantage of his bend, ability to shed blocks, and speed.

Our d-line has too many guys on it now who tend to get tangled up with blockers struggling on the wrong side of the LOS. The main reason RBs were hitting our 2nd level LBs and safeties with a full head of steam.

We need players that can be disruptive on the other side of the LOS. Oliver and a few other DTs that went early last night fit the bill.

We need to get another disruptive player on the D. I see Winovich, Z.Allen as possibilities.

3 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Love the reaction, guy wants to be a bill. A great night to be a bills fan. Got exactly who we wanted and didn't have to trade up.

Yea, he went down to the Bills mafia/fans area rather than be interviewed. He looked genuinely excited to be a Buffalo Bill and said he couldn't wait to get to Buffalo.

Good stuff.

Im very excited about this, even though I wanted Hockenson.

Early in the season when it looked like the Bills were a candidate to be a top 2 or 3 pick, I saw Oliver's name pop up everywhere.  Seems like the real deal.  No character issues or injury history pushing him down.  Just some GMs who seemed to reach and some QBs mixed in.

In the past, when faced with a consensus pick falling into their lap, it seems the Bills would out-think themselves and get creative.  They took they guy they should have and needed.  IMO he is going to thrive under McDermott and Fraser.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This article should convince you:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/21/18232987/nfl-draft-2019-ed-oliver-buffalo-bills-scouting-report-breakdown-pass-rusher

This one clip is what made me fall in love a couple months ago. Made me think of Kyle Williams. 

OliverTech3.gif

He has an endless motor and an elite first step. He will be a nightmare for QBs.

That is pretty impressive. :)

Edited by Bill from NYC

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Im very excited about this, even though I wanted Hockenson.

Early in the season when it looked like the Bills were a candidate to be a top 2 or 3 pick, I saw Oliver's name pop up everywhere.  Seems like the real deal.  No character issues or injury history pushing him down.  Just some GMs who seemed to reach and some QBs mixed in.

In the past, when faced with a consensus pick falling into their lap, it seems the Bills would out-think themselves and get creative.  They took they guy they should have and needed.  IMO he is going to thrive under McDermott and Fraser.

It is ok to like both players. Hockenson did not have to be a terrible, risky, or a "mouth breathing" disaster of a prospect for me to like Oliver more and rank him a few spots higher.

I don't get too caught up with position in the draft other than knowing you have to mindful of how competitive it is to fill some roles ( good QBs come to mind), and what your team needs are (not desperation need, just guys that can be plugged into a meaningful role).

I also look at whether the prospect is a standout player at their position who has a high probability to step in an contribute.

I felt Hockenson was that kind of blocking/receiving offensive talent who could do that for a team with a shorter learning curve than most.

Glad he went to Detroit rather than a team in our division. He should be a good player for Matt Patricia.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rico said:

Great job Beane, and very special thanks go out to the Lions. :D

Wanted Ebron , Lions drafted him, (plays for the Colts now) wanted Hockenson, Lions drafted him.

Lions can kiss my behind...

Little under sized but happy with the Oliver pick. Loved his enthusiasm.

Edited by Figster